Thread: I Propose an Open Carry Protest Day

Post imported post

I propose that all Virginians openly carry firearms on April 15, Patriots Day. This day commemorates the "shot heard round the world", when patriots fought the tyrannical redcoats who had come to confiscate their firearms and powder.

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

You don't know how many blank stares I have gotten over the years when I tell people that we went to war over gun control. The American Revolution was started over that very issue.

People either don't believe it or they just wave it off as some nonsense from some gun nut. But it is the absolute truth. Try is sometime to see what kind of reaction you get.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

Patriots Day may fall on the 15th, but the Battles of Lexington and Concord were on April 19th, 1775.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    You don't know how many blank stares I have gotten over the years when I tell people that we went to war over gun control. The American Revolution was started over that very issue.
    Not really.

Sure, the battles of Lexington and Concord were triggered by an attempt to disarm the Massachussetts militia and arrest its leaders, but saying that caused the war is like saying a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot. What really caused the war was a whole series of injustices, none of which had anything to do with arms, plus a general sense of disconnection and a desire for self-rule.

I suppose it makes a good sound bite to say that the colonists went to war over gun control, but I think the anti-gunners do enough twisting of the truth for both sides.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
    Patriots Day may fall on the 15th, but the Battles of Lexington and Concord were on April 19th, 1775.
    That's what I thought too...here are some references for anyone who cares.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_he...olutionary_War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...on_and_Concord

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Not really.

Sure, the battles of Lexington and Concord were triggered by an attempt to disarm the Massachussetts militia and arrest its leaders, but saying that caused the war is like saying a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot. What really caused the war was a whole series of injustices, none of which had anything to do with arms, plus a general sense of disconnection and a desire for self-rule.

I suppose it makes a good sound bite to say that the colonists went to war over gun control, but I think the anti-gunners do enough twisting of the truth for both sides.
    Gun confiscation was simply the last straw.

Post imported post

The colonists went to war for about 1/10 of 1% of the tyranny our government is putting us through.

Oh well, at least we're "safe."

Post imported post

So what's the 'protest' part? Sounds like it should be a OC Commemorative Day.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Hef wrote:
    swillden wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Not really.

I think that still overstates the case. The confiscation was part of the beginning of the war, not part of the cause. The war was going to happen anyway -- that's what the militia was gearing up for and why the British wanted to disarm them.

I think this is a bad line of argument to pursue because to anyone who's studied the revolutionary war (admittedly, that excludes 99% of the population -- which is sad) it's going to sound like a gun nut twisting history to bolster his arguments.

Our arguments are good enough without playing those kinds of rhetorical tricks.

Post imported post

ama-gi wrote:
    The colonists went to war for about 1/10 of 1% of the tyranny our government is putting us through.

Oh well, at least we're "safe."
    Good post.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Post imported post

"I Propose an Open Carry Protest Day"

Are you wanting to protest open carry??

You go boy!!!

Wait... why are you protesting something that is not against the law?? I am confused..

Oh!! You want to promote open carry... OK... :P

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    Not really.

So how many OCDO-froggies deny that current events are 'like ... a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot' when they say that our hot water is juuust fine? How hot will be too hot and will these OCDO-froggies be able to croak even, let alone jump?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

You aren't having much luck organizing events, are you Thundar.

Actually, it's a good idea, not as a protest but as a pro 2end event!

Post imported post

You aren't having much luck organizing events, are you.

Actually, it's a good idea, not as a protest but as a pro 2A event!
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Problem here is that Patriot's Day is the third monday in April and this year it's the 21st.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_Day

There are a LOT of reasons to protest on April 15th, but this isn't one of them!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

swillden wrote:
    Hef wrote:
    swillden wrote:
    SouthernBoy wrote:
    Not really.

I think that still overstates the case. The confiscation was part of the beginning of the war, not part of the cause. The war was going to happen anyway -- that's what the militia was gearing up for and why the British wanted to disarm them.

I think this is a bad line of argument to pursue because to anyone who's studied the revolutionary war (admittedly, that excludes 99% of the population -- which is sad) it's going to sound like a gun nut twisting history to bolster his arguments.

Our arguments are good enough without playing those kinds of rhetorical tricks.
    I venture to say I was studying the Revolutionary War before a good many of you were in diapers. It was standard fair when I went to grade school and in secondary school. Now just so you "responders" haven't missed my point, perhaps I should be a little more succinct.

Yes, the conflict would have occurred anyway.. it was inevitable. However, the spark that ignited the war was the threat of and the pending action to disarm the people so they could not muster the militia, to confiscate their arms, and to seize the powder magazines. We got wind of this and sent out riders to warn the villages of this and to assemble to ward off the British. And the rest is history as they say.

Yes, if it had not been this specific action, it would have been another.. it was just a matter of where and when.

And frankly I could care less what anti's or other think. It's history. I didn't write it. It just happened.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

If you really want a good way to commemorate April 19th, consider trying to attend an Appleseed shoot. There will be a number of them across the country on that day (and continuing on throughout the year.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_freds_plan.htm

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    Yes, if it had not been this specific action, it would have been another.. it was just a matter of where and when.
    Correct. So, it's dishonest to claim that we went to war over gun control. The actual reasons are complex but very well-described in the voluminous correspondence of the revolutionary leaders, none of which ever cited disarmament as a reason for the revolution.

As I said in my first response: Claiming the revolution was caused by gun control is like claiming that a gunshot is caused by the ignition of the primer.