• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Propose an Open Carry Protest Day

Thundar

imported post

I propose that all Virginians openly carry firearms on April 15, Patriots Day. This day commemorates the "shot heard round the world", when patriots fought the tyrannical redcoats who had come to confiscate their firearms and powder.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

You don't know how many blank stares I have gotten over the years when I tell people that we went to war over gun control. The American Revolution was started over that very issue.

People either don't believe it or they just wave it off as some nonsense from some gun nut. But it is the absolute truth. Try is sometime to see what kind of reaction you get.

swillden

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
You don't know how many blank stares I have gotten over the years when I tell people that we went to war over gun control. The American Revolution was started over that very issue.
Not really.

Sure, the battles of Lexington and Concord were triggered by an attempt to disarm the Massachussetts militia and arrest its leaders, but saying that caused the war is like saying a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot. What really caused the war was a whole series of injustices, none of which had anything to do with arms, plus a general sense of disconnection and a desire for self-rule.

I suppose it makes a good sound bite to say that the colonists went to war over gun control, but I think the anti-gunners do enough twisting of the truth for both sides.

Hef

imported post

swillden wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Not really.

Sure, the battles of Lexington and Concord were triggered by an attempt to disarm the Massachussetts militia and arrest its leaders, but saying that caused the war is like saying a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot. What really caused the war was a whole series of injustices, none of which had anything to do with arms, plus a general sense of disconnection and a desire for self-rule.

I suppose it makes a good sound bite to say that the colonists went to war over gun control, but I think the anti-gunners do enough twisting of the truth for both sides.
Gun confiscation was simply the last straw.

swillden

imported post

Hef wrote:
swillden wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Not really.

I think that still overstates the case. The confiscation was part of the beginning of the war, not part of the cause. The war was going to happen anyway -- that's what the militia was gearing up for and why the British wanted to disarm them.

I think this is a bad line of argument to pursue because to anyone who's studied the revolutionary war (admittedly, that excludes 99% of the population -- which is sad) it's going to sound like a gun nut twisting history to bolster his arguments.

Our arguments are good enough without playing those kinds of rhetorical tricks.

Flintlock

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
The colonists went to war for about 1/10 of 1% of the tyranny our government is putting us through.

Oh well, at least we're "safe." :banghead:
Good post.

LEO 229

imported post

"I Propose an Open Carry Protest Day"

Are you wanting to protest open carry?? :D

You go boy!!!

Wait... why are you protesting something that is not against the law?? I am confused..

Oh!! You want to promote open carry... OK... :p

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

swillden wrote:
Not really.

So how many OCDO-froggies deny that current events are 'like ... a primer exploding is the cause of a gunshot' when they say that our hot water is juuust fine? How hot will be too hot and will these OCDO-froggies be able to croak even, let alone jump?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You aren't having much luck organizing events, are you Thundar.

Actually, it's a good idea, not as a protest but as a pro 2end event!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

swillden wrote:
Hef wrote:
swillden wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Not really.

I think that still overstates the case. The confiscation was part of the beginning of the war, not part of the cause. The war was going to happen anyway -- that's what the militia was gearing up for and why the British wanted to disarm them.

I think this is a bad line of argument to pursue because to anyone who's studied the revolutionary war (admittedly, that excludes 99% of the population -- which is sad) it's going to sound like a gun nut twisting history to bolster his arguments.

Our arguments are good enough without playing those kinds of rhetorical tricks.
I venture to say I was studying the Revolutionary War before a good many of you were in diapers. It was standard fair when I went to grade school and in secondary school. Now just so you "responders" haven't missed my point, perhaps I should be a little more succinct.

Yes, the conflict would have occurred anyway.. it was inevitable. However, the spark that ignited the war was the threat of and the pending action to disarm the people so they could not muster the militia, to confiscate their arms, and to seize the powder magazines. We got wind of this and sent out riders to warn the villages of this and to assemble to ward off the British. And the rest is history as they say.

Yes, if it had not been this specific action, it would have been another.. it was just a matter of where and when.

And frankly I could care less what anti's or other think. It's history. I didn't write it. It just happened.

swillden

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Yes, if it had not been this specific action, it would have been another.. it was just a matter of where and when.
Correct. So, it's dishonest to claim that we went to war over gun control. The actual reasons are complex but very well-described in the voluminous correspondence of the revolutionary leaders, none of which ever cited disarmament as a reason for the revolution.

As I said in my first response: Claiming the revolution was caused by gun control is like claiming that a gunshot is caused by the ignition of the primer.