• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC Holster/ID Question

kwmayo

imported post

I've beend an avid reader of this forum for the last year, and have just run into a question I cant seem to find the answer for. I'm home for break and now seemed like a good time to register.

This is kind of a CC question, kind of not - a two-parter if you will.

Part 1) I just bought my mom a Sig P239 to carry on a regular basis. She's concerned about having a place to put her ID and CHP when she's not carrying her purse. She has a Galco belt holster that she loves, and would like to stick with the belt holsters. Is there a holster with a place for ID and CHP? I know there are women out there who carry. Ladies, what do you do?

Part 2) Assuming problem 1 is solved, my mother called the VA Police and asked about the legality of carrying a copy of her drivers licence with her CHP. Now, I love the police, I think they do a great job most of the time, but this one baffles me. They told her that they're not qualified to give legal advice, and they couldnt tell her if a copy of a state ID would work in a pinch.:banghead:

So, what do you all do about these problems?

Thanks in advance.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

kwmayo wrote:
I've beend an avid reader of this forum for the last year, and have just run into a question I cant seem to find the answer for. I'm home for break and now seemed like a good time to register.

This is kind of a CC question, kind of not - a two-parter if you will.

Part 1) I just bought my mom a Sig P239 to carry on a regular basis. She's concerned about having a place to put her ID and CHP when she's not carrying her purse. She has a Galco belt holster that she loves, and would like to stick with the belt holsters. Is there a holster with a place for ID and CHP? I know there are women out there who carry. Ladies, what do you do?

Part 2) Assuming problem 1 is solved, my mother called the VA Police and asked about the legality of carrying a copy of her drivers licence with her CHP. Now, I love the police, I think they do a great job most of the time, but this one baffles me. They told her that they're not qualified to give legal advice, and they couldnt tell her if a copy of a state ID would work in a pinch.:banghead:

So, what do you all do about these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to pop your bubble, but a holster with a slot for ID would be a horrible idea.

example: your mother: "yes officer i have a permit right here......"
officer: "yeah sarge i thought she was going for her weapon."
sarge: "turns out she was only going for her CHP and DL"

Keep her DL and CHP in a pocket or get an ID holder than hangs from one's neck

happy carrying,

jason

kwmayo

imported post

Touche.

Yeah, definitely not thinking about that possibility......

Thanks.

xd.40

imported post

There was another thread (if I can find it, I'll post the link) that talked about the legality of carrying a copy of your DL as a form of ID. If I recall correctly, it was determined to be illegal, or at least not advisable to do so. As many other members here do, we make sure (if we are CC'ing) that we have our ID and Permit with us. Just don't forget your Permit and ID if you are CC'ing.

mobeewan

imported post

I believe you can get duplicate DL's from the DMV. She may be able to get a duplicate made and place it with the permit in a neck ID holder/wallet like Kodiak suggested. That way they can all be kept together when at home and can be tied to the holster when not in use. When leaving home always put the neck wallet on FIRST before holstering up so it doesn't get left laying where the gun was last when in a hurry to leave.

LEO 229

imported post

A copy of the OL is worthless..

It is tooeasy to photoshop her photo on the license of someone else.

I do not recommend someone carry a copy of their OL. Maybe if you need your new VA OL number... but if you know your name, DOB, and SSN the police can pull up your data.

I believe it isactually against the law to have more that one VA ID card at a time. Duplicates must be turned in if they are found after a duplicate has been issued.

The reason behind this is because some people know their OL will be suspended in court so they go get a duplicate prior so that they cangive to the court while they hold the original.

Searching for the code.... but the code I did located requires the ID to basically be gone for some reason. There is one line that states a duplicate can be obtained with a good reason. So maybe there is a chance. ;)

§ 46.2-343. Duplicate driver's license, reissued driver's licenses, learner's permit; fees.

If a driver's license or learner's permit issued under the provisions of this chapter is lost, stolen, or destroyed, the person to whom it was issued may obtain a duplicate or substitute thereof on furnishing proof satisfactory to the Department that his license or permit has been lost, stolen, or destroyed, or that there are good reasons why a duplicate should be issued.

There shall be a fee of five dollars for each duplicate license and two dollars for each duplicate learner's permit. An additional fee of five dollars shall be charged to add or change the scene on a duplicate license or duplicate learner's permit.

There shall be a fee of five dollars for reissuance of any driver's license upon the termination of driving restrictions imposed upon the licensee by the Department or a court. An additional fee of five dollars shall be charged to add or change the scene on a license upon reissuance.