• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Popped my OC cherry! - OC report Lake Stevens/Frontier Village

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Well, I did it. I strapped on the Glock 21 and went out to run some errands sans jacket.

Wasn't really sure what to expect, but I had rehearsed what I would do if confronted, questioned, asked to leave, or detained. None of those things happened.

First stop was the Rite-Aid drug store, I am pretty sure the two women who were standing in front of their car talking noticed as I got out and walked to the store. We made eye contact as I got out, then I turned and headed to the store. They were only about 8 feet away and they had full view as I turned towards the store. Once inside, I asked an employee where to find what I was looking for- she told me the aisle number and I headed that way. Found what I was there for, went to the only open register and paid.

If anyone saw the gun, there was no indication of it. No staring, no looks of shock or surprise, no comments. As I left the store, the same two women were still standing at thier car. Now the hood was up and they had jumper cables in hand. As I approached, one asked me if I could give them a jump. I said no problem, put my Rite-Aid purchase in the car and popped my hood. There was NO way they could not see the gun at this point. It was on the side facing them as I bent down to open my hood. I did catch one giving it a glance, but they said nothing and there was no change in their demeanor.

As I was driving away, a Lake Stevens PD car was coming my way. I have to admit my pulse quickened a little, but it was obvious he was just doing his thing and not looking for me, not so much as a passing glance from him.

After Rite-Aid I headed over to Joe's sporting goods. Walked in, browsed the gun section, selected an item and went to the check out. Again, no indication ofconcern. Aoldergentleman was at the counter and waiting for someone, so motioned me to go ahead. As he moved, it put him behind me onmy carry side.I don't know how he could have missed it. I was actually a little uncomfortable withhow close he was. Nothing was said, clerk rang me up, sales manager was right there as well dealing with another customer. Idon't think he reallyeven gave me a look.Again no indication of shock or concern by anyone, employees or customers.

It definitely was an interesting experience. I have had my CPL for over ten yearsand carry concealed daily, so am certainly no rookie when itcomes to going armed.I think OC will take some gettign used too, not sure how often I will decide to do it, but with better weather on the way it is nice to know I don't always have to worry about covering up.

G27

imported post

Definitely an uneventful day! Which is always a good thing. You knew what to say if there was any confrontation and were prepared. Glad to see more and more people liven up to the idea!

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Congradulations. You will eventually get use to it and it will be just like carrying concealed.

Of all the places you went, Joes was the place most likely to give you a hastle. The have a corporate policy that even forbids Concealed Carry. I will no longer shop there and instead drive the few extra miles up to Burlington for Sportsmans Warehouse.

just_a_car

imported post

Glad to hear all went well. You also did OC a great justice by being a good samaritan, as we all should be, for those two ladies that need a jump.

Showing the general uninformed public that OC'ers, and gun owners in general, are good (and sometimes better than average) people may not change their minds on how they feel towards guns, but it may make them vote differently when legislation comes up. It can be something as simple as giving a jump, holding a door open, or just using 'please' and 'thank you' regularly when dealing with 'service personnel'.

Think of this scenario: One of the ladies you helped is at the polling station and is about to vote on legislation that would ban OC. She thinks to herself "Well, I don't like seeing guns, but that nice person that was carrying a gun helped us out when no one else would, so I'll do them a favor and vote for them."

BAM!

Instant pro-gun vote, just by being nice.

Good on ya, 911Boss!