• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legislated right approved... I have my Concealed Carry license

Custodian

imported post

92 (I was working on days 90 & 91) days after applying for it, I finally have received it. My permit to carry concealed. So after my pit stop from the local Sheriff's department, I went on a junket to find my sidearm.

It feels good to say that. Sidearm. Sounds like its going to be with you for a long time, doesn't it? Anyways....

Because I am Law Enforcement (North Carolina Department Of Correction) My first stop was a spot that favors Law Enforcement.

I managed to pick up a Bersa Thunder .380. Felt kinda heavy in my hand for a gun that only holds around 7-9 rounds. I was told it was the older all steel variety. I looked at the sights, felt a little James Bond-ish even if just for a second. Felt more like a gun for my wife than me. So, I decided to move on.

I got my fist wrapped around a Sig in .380, but still too small for my hunking palm. Oh well.

Then I moved on to the S&W M&P compact, both in 9mm Luger & 10mm short. The dang things (no matter how nice) were too small to fill my inside of my hand and stopped a little after half way. Crapola.

I took a gander at the Springfield Armory, XD in extended magazine. Simply awesome. It filled my hand nicely. I think I may have found a winner.

So I left the first gun shoppe and went on the second. Which was only a half a mile from the other one.

I pointed my eyeballs and hand at a Springfield Armory G.I. .45 compact. Good lord! That thing was heavyweight. However, I guess so since its shooting the rounded down 11mm better known as the .45 ACP. I don't know much about 1911s, so I didn't gravitate towards it. If I made a mistake in not taking a harder look at it, please chastise me.

The second store had the aluminum stamped Bersa Thunder .380 Concealed. A little lighter than the all steel. However, I wonder if it was going to be as durable as the all steel version.

The attendant here, great guy, I shall refer to as Glockman. Glockman told me the XD had more stuff to go wrong with it and Glock was his personal preference and reminded me of it with a moving parts speech.

Now, I AM A SOUTHPAW (read as: lefty). And this is a deal-breaker. So I am looking for something with an ambidextrious magazine release. Most of the 1911s and steel pistols don't have a left-handed or ambi mag release.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the XD.

Any thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Threats?

Soon to be a true citizen,

Custodian

WhiteFeather

imported post

You can't go wrong with an XD they are a fine made pistol. I have had the pleasure of shooting them on many occasions and they are very nice.

I would own with if I weren't smitten over 1911's.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I personally prefer XD to Glocks. There have been some design changes to the Glocks so I do not know how many of my earlier complaints are still valid, however, I have yet to shoot one that really feels good in my hand. I usually carry an XD45 service compact. That is the XD in .45 caliber with 4" barrel and 10rd or 13rd magazine. The 10 rd is great for concealability. The 13 rd mag fits better in my hand for range time as I also have fairly large hands. With the 10 rd mag, the grip is about 3/4" shorter reducing printing for carry. But you don't specify which XD you were looking at but from your comments I assume it was not one of the .45 cal models.

I have shot all XD models excepting the .357 series of which I have not shot any. I also have not shot a subcompact 40 cal. I like them quite a bit. The only reason I do not also have an XD tactical 9mm is that when I went up to buy one, I decided instead to buy something that would be more difficult to acquire in the future. If you are really interested I would suggest you check out Springfield Armory's XD web page:
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php

And some other XD links:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/xd45subcom_071207/
http://www.answers.com/topic/springfield-armory-xd?cat=technology

And the XD torture test:
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

Prophet

imported post

It took you 90 days to get your permit? The more I look around to see how long and how much it takes to get a permit the more I appeciate the $25 for five years and 21 days it took to get mine. Good ole Pennsylvania.

As for your pistol issue, I am ambidextrous and I do not have the same issues that you have with regards to the 1911, though I am a natural lefty. With that being said you should give it one more look...juuuuuuust to make sure. I am a huge fan of my mil spec and it deserves a second look.

Other than that I concur with Whitefeather, the XD is a solid gun and I think you'll be happy with it. Happier with it than you will be with glock. I have fired them both and I just don't like the Glocks, that could be just me but its my opinion.

Custodian

imported post

I will take a closer look at that G.I. .45 compact. It was pretty heavy for a compact but I bet it packs a wallop.

And yup, 90 days. I'm told because Durham is: So rough, so tough. Go figure. And the sad part is... im Law Enforcement. No exceptions.

Eeyore

imported post

Custodian wrote:

XD is a good choice.Both itand the Steyr M-A1 (if you can find one) have superior ergos (IMHO) to the Block.

However, as a lefty, your best bet might be the Smith & Wesson M&P: reversible mag release and ambi slide release, plus better-than-Glock ergos. Last time I was at The Armory in Va Beach, they were selling at $399 with LEO discount.

Also, the new FNP 45ACP has fully ambidextrous controls. http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF020&gid=FNG001&mid=FNM0123

Prophet

imported post

Not that this matters to you or not custodian but anyone who makes a pact with the devil (or in this case clinton) doesnt deserve my dollars. Thats why I would steer clear of smith and wessons. Just a personal thing really, but why support someone who didnt have the cajones to stand up for themselves and whose dealings struck a blow against the 2nd amendment? Just my 2 lincolns.

Custodian

imported post

Prophet wrote:
Not that this matters to you or not custodian but anyone who makes a pact with the devil (or in this case clinton) doesnt deserve my dollars. Thats why I would steer clear of smith and wessons. Just a personal thing really, but why support someone who didnt have the cajones to stand up for themselves and whose dealings struck a blow against the 2nd amendment? Just my 2 lincolns.
Prophet, I don't exactly keep up with the gun companies actions. But exactly what did Smith and Wesson do? If they did something suspect, there is NO WAY I would support them with a purchase or their Walther line.

Not to mention... The S&W compact felt like crap in my hands, just too damned short. For me, thats a crime already. I don't see how it holds a candle to Glock or XD. Only reason I thought about them because my agency, NCDOC, uses the standard version in .40 S&W and so it wouldn't be much of a problem (in theory) transitioning to a compact. Personally, I think shooters got along fine before backstraps entered our lexicon.

I rented a Glock for my CHP test and it felt ok. Not great, just okay. I may revisit this to see if I want one. Only thing about XD i find suspect is that the chamber indicator can fall off as I saw in the torture test.

However, that sweet lil G.I. 1911 wasn't bad now that I think of it, its just that I have practically no experience with 1911 models. Yes, I know it sucks to be me. But oh well.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Custodian:
S&W got on board with some gun control measures during the Clinton administration, and some of their officers said some really stupid things. It lead to a boycott and some long term anger at the company and it's management. Here's some links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=smith+%26+wesson%2Bclinton&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

As to the XD, I don't think the chamber indicator is going to just "fall off". If it does, you have a lifetime warranty. And my memory was that it was the striker indicator that broke off but it's been a while since I read the story. Regardless, it didn't just "fall off" in the test. They put that pistol through years worth of shooting and abuse in a few weeks and beat the snot out of the XD. Yes a non critical part got damaged, BUT, no critical parts were damaged, all safeties remained intact and it went 'BANG' every time the trigger was pulled. That's what a good combat pistol does.

The 1911 is a wonderful weapon as well and on my "to acquire" list.

LewisWetzel

imported post

In another thread, you mentioned that $ was an issue. If you can afford it, look no further than the XD Compact (4"). trigger pull is WAY better than the Glock 30 IMO, and like you, I have big paws that fit boththe 13 rd and the 10 rd mags. My pinky flies off into space when I grab a Glock 30, so that ended my quest for a Glock.

pourshot

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Custodian wrote:

IMHO - you can drive tacks with the XDs. Every one I have ever shot was dead on and reliable:celebrate...BUT....:?

I really hate the short grip safety. I feel that it could prevent me from getting a shot off if I had to draw quickly. For ME....the XD would be a great home defense gun, but I would not have it as my prefered CC firearm. (there - now this should cause a firestorm)....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pourshot wrote:
Custodian wrote:

IMHO - you can drive tacks with the XDs. Every one I have ever shot was dead on and reliable:celebrate...BUT....:?

I really hate the short grip safety. I feel that it could prevent me from getting a shot off if I had to draw quickly. For ME....the XD would be a great home defense gun, but I would not have it as my prefered CC firearm. (there - now this should cause a firestorm)....
Nah, not a firestorm. They make different models because of different people's preferences, hand size, strength, etc. I can tell you that with my XD45, if I didn't have the pistol gripped such that the backstrap safety is disengaged (assuming it would still fire), I'm probably not gripping it well enough to be able to hold onto the pistol when it recoils. Also, I was taught to draw with the web of my hand pushed up tight under the beavertail which I now do as second nature regardless of grip safety so it is never an issue for me in a draw situation. I find it quite interesting to see other people's thoughts on firearms, especially those I use regularly. Lots of perspectives that would never have occured to me.