• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR9

HMDGLOCK

imported post

I was talking to friend the other day he was telling one of his co-workers bought a new Ruger SR9. Then I was talking to my friend last night and the guy told him that he had to return the gun because he took it to a gun range, I guess the guy said he fired the gun andthe first shot was fine. Then he took his next shoot when the gunfired thewhole mag automatically. He said that the gun shoot full auto. I really don't thinkthis could have happened. Has anyone ever heard ofthis happening before to a gun brand new out the box.

Ifthis was true I sure ashell wouldn't have returned it. lol

Edited because what I wrote did not make sense.

imperialism2024

imported post

Perhaps it was a slamfire?

Edited to add, from Wikipedia:
A slamfire is a premature, unintended discharge of a firearm that occurs as a round is being loaded into the chamber. Slamfires are most common in military firearms that have a free-floating firing pin, as opposed to a spring-loaded one. In the action of a typical semi-automatic weapon, the energy of a fired round forces the bolt and bolt carrier rearward, ejecting the empty case. A spring then forces the bolt forward again, and in the process a fresh round is stripped out of the magazine. When the face of the bolt hits the head of the chamber, unless there is a spring around the pin to retard its movement, inertia causes the firing pin to continue forward until it is stopped on the primer of the round. Sometimes this inertial force is sufficient to set off the primer, thereby firing the round. This can potentially occur repeatedly, until the magazine has been emptied

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of the current gun magazines has a write-up on the SR9 by Massad Ayoob.

One the problems he had with his test gun was the magazine release/catch not engaging when a magazine was inserted. Supposedly Ruger fixed this, according to the article.

His other complaint was the safety lever was too far to the rear for all but the smallest hands. He said he could manage to turn off the safety with the side of his thumb without breaking his grip (but maybe a little). But he definitely had to break his grip to re-engage the safety.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Good thing he returned it. Even delaying in returning it can get the attention of BATFE and the consequences of posession of an illegal machine gun.