• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County Parks

Dr. Fresh

imported post

So weapons are allowed by law in WA state parks? I've been wondering this.

just_a_car

imported post

There's some nuances from the Hunting rules and reg's that could apply if you were hunting, but nothing if you're not hunting. I'll list/paraphrase them here just the same:

Section 3.b) If you're archery hunting, it's illegal to have a firearm in your possession. (page 57 on PDF, page 65 in brochure)

There are Firearms Restriction Areas, defined on page 59-60 on PDF, page 67-68 in brochure. Those areas are restrictions for "centerfire and rimfire rifles" to be used for hunting. This does not say anything about handguns or anything regarding self-defense.

Loaded rifles or shotguns may not be carried, conveyed, possessed, controlled or transported in or on a motor vehicle. (page 55 on PDF, page 63 in brochure) "Loaded" means it contains live ammo in EITHER the chamber OR the magazine. There is no stipulation as to handguns, but we all know that you must have a CPL to carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.

The brochure PDF: http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/hunter/huntregs2007.pdf

I am not a lawyer or legal official.

deanf

imported post

So weapons are allowed by law in WA state parks? I've been wondering this.

A year or so ago the State Parks and Rec. Commission changed the State Parks rules to allow guns in compliance with state law. They apperently did this to comply with state preemtion. I'm sorry I don't have a source for you. I would look at archives of the Commission meetings to get the details.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Thanks. I was just curious, since I don't hunt, but I'd like to be able to take my pistol and Mossberg with me when I go camping.

just_a_car

imported post

By the way, just found the RCW that gives the brochure its "teeth":
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

As for that Mossberg, make sure it's not loaded until you are OUT of the vehicle, persuant to the above RCW.

Do note that if you have a rifle or shotgun (Saiga 12) that has a detachable magazine, you can have that magazine loaded and right next the firearm, just so long as it's not inserted into the firearm.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
By the way, just found the RCW that gives the brochure its "teeth":
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.460

As for that Mossberg, make sure it's not loaded until you are OUT of the vehicle, persuant to the above RCW.

Do note that if you have a rifle or shotgun (Saiga 12) that has a detachable magazine, you can have that magazine loaded and right next the firearm, just so long as it's not inserted into the firearm.
Thanks for the link. I have no plans to have it loaded in the car, but I'd like to have it loaded in the tent with me. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble from the law because it's an 8-shot and is obviously not legal for hunting.

Nice Mustang, BTW.

Trigger Dr

imported post

It would be legal for huntingDeer, Elk, Bear, Cougar and any game OTHER THAN waterfowl, or other game birds.

just_a_car

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Thanks for the link. I have no plans to have it loaded in the car, but I'd like to have it loaded in the tent with me. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have any trouble from the law because it's an 8-shot and is obviously not legal for hunting.

Nice Mustang, BTW.
My pleasure... I don't like to see other gents get screwed due to not being aware of the rules/law.

And thanks, it's a 1972 Mach1 with a 351 Cleaveland V8 2v switched to a 4v Holley 650 doublepumper (electric choke, mechanical secondaries) over an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake manifold.... But, yano... it's just a car. ;)

Dr. Fresh

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:

Nice Mustang, BTW.
My pleasure... I don't like to see other gents get screwed due to not being aware of the rules/law.

And thanks, it's a 1972 Mach1 with a 351 Cleaveland V8 2v switched to a 4v Holley 650 doublepumper (electric choke, mechanical secondaries) over an Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake manifold.... But, yano... it's just a car. ;)
Yeah, I like to be on the good side of the law, especially when it comes to guns. That is, unless they try to take them. Haha..

Niice. Is it an automatic or a 4-speed? I love the '71-'73 Mustangs.

just_a_car

imported post

Dr. Fresh wrote:
Yeah, I like to be on the good side of the law, especially when it comes to guns. That is, unless they try to take them. Haha..

FMX auto. Top gear is 1:1, no overdrive. I took out the 1:2.75 gear in the 9" rear end and put a 1:3.25 gear in. Man, that made an obvious difference in how it felt power-wise. But they were both non-posi.

I have a 1:4.11 gear that's got posi-trac, but there's no way I'm going to put that in without first switching out the FMX for an AOD so I have overdrive. In overdrive, the AOD has a gear ratio of 0.67, which makes the 4.11 gear act like the 2.75 gear without the overdrive in 1:1. I'll probably be forced to get street-slicks just to keep the tires from chirping in first gear.... gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Before all of that, though, I have some cowl corrosion that has to be repaired before I can get it back on the road. The dash is all stripped-out to get access to it, so it's undrivable... not because the engine doesn't run (because it runs well), but because for the last 3 years, I haven't been able to find the parts to fix the cowl and only in the last 8 months did I find a front end to scavenge. *sigh* I miss driving it on pretty sunny days. Even though it was running rich (you could smell unburnt gas in the exhaust) it was still getting 14MPG... out of a 5.7L carbureted engine.

Dr. Fresh

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Dr. Fresh wrote:

FMX auto. Top gear is 1:1, no overdrive. I took out the 1:2.75 gear in the 9" rear end and put a 1:3.25 gear in. Man, that made an obvious difference in how it felt power-wise. But they were both non-posi.

I have a 1:4.11 gear that's got posi-trac, but there's no way I'm going to put that in without first switching out the FMX for an AOD so I have overdrive. In overdrive, the AOD has a gear ratio of 0.67, which makes the 4.11 gear act like the 2.75 gear without the overdrive in 1:1. I'll probably be forced to get street-slicks just to keep the tires from chirping in first gear.... gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Before all of that, though, I have some cowl corrosion that has to be repaired before I can get it back on the road. The dash is all stripped-out to get access to it, so it's undrivable... not because the engine doesn't run (because it runs well), but because for the last 3 years, I haven't been able to find the parts to fix the cowl and only in the last 8 months did I find a front end to scavenge. *sigh* I miss driving it on pretty sunny days. Even though it was running rich (you could smell unburnt gas in the exhaust) it was still getting 14MPG... out of a 5.7L carbureted engine.
What's wrong with street slicks? I can vouch for their fun factor, as long as it ain't raining.

Decent mileage, but then again, mileage is secondary when you're talking about a '72 Mustang. LOL

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:

Plu-lease, out of a small block, in your dreams. With a real Hi-Po motor maybe but a low compression 351? Not gonna be that way without the help of a shift kit an thin tires. No a real motor like a 428CJ or a 427, yeah, they will tire talk you big time. At WOT they will lay down a car length of rubber with 60 series tires. At least my 1969 Cobra (Fairlane/Torino body style) with 428 CJ with ram air, C6, 4.30 rearend and G60 tires would, and it was stock. It only ran 14.07 at 10.4 mph. The real stormer was also a 169 Cobra but with a built 428CJ, 11.5 to 1 with 3X2 carbs off a 406 with top loader 4 speed and also with 4.30 gears. Try 12.60s at 120 mph on 8" cheapie slicks or 12.36 at 124 mph on good 10" Goodyears.

The stocker with auto trans.

69CobraFastback01.jpg

The race car, with the street car in the background.

69CobraNotchback02.jpg

A real motor.

69CobraNotchback428CJwithFordTri-po.jpg

Trigger Dr

imported post

Just received this from the State.

From
:
"Barnes, Cathie (PARKS)" Cathie.Barnes@PARKS.WA.GOV

clear.gif

clear.gif
to
:
Subject
:
RE: Firearms in Wa. State Parks.

clear.gif

clear.gif

blue.gif

Date
:
Fri, Mar 14, 2008 09:40 AM

clear.gif

clear.gif

blue.gif

[align=justify]
Code:
James, State Parks prohibits the discharge of firearms within or into a
State Park. Hunting is also prohibited.

The state laws on carry of a pistol also apply on Park land and you will
find these in RCW 9.41. If you have a concealed pistol license you may
legally carry a pistol within our parks. Rangers seldom have cause to
contact someone who is licensed and carrying a concealed pistol because
there are few problems with CPL holders and the pistols are concealed.
Occasionally, we have had visitor complaints when a pistol is carried
openly and then a ranger may contact a person to ensure that state laws
are complied with.

Cathie Barnes
Information Center
Washington State Parks
360/902-8844
Code:
[b][i]"Occasionally, we have had visitor complaints when a pistol is carried
openly and then a ranger may contact a person to ensure that state laws
are complied with."[/i][/b]

It would sound like they are not certain about OC, and may want a CPL on person.
[/align]