• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Holster for OC Against Grabs

SickTag

imported post

Just wondering which type of holster to get and which are good holsters for OC against grabs. I am concerned about someone grabbing my pistol. Any thoughts and/or links?

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Blackhawk Serpas are supposed to be great, but they don't make one for my Ruger P345, so I don't have one. (bastards)

I carry in a plain old FOBUS paddle and just stay alert, bot letting anyone get that close to my strong side.

And Welcome to OCDO!

DrewGunner

imported post

I think you'll find that the Blackhawk Serpas are a favorite here. I've got one, pull up and twist, gun pops right out.

For serious retention I think the only way to go is a leather holster with a thumb break.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I also carry SERPAs primarily. Safariland seems to have some nice alternatives for kydex holsters as well. Both also have level 3 and higher holsters if you are really concerned about retention.

KodiakISGOOD

imported post

SERPA SERPA SERPA

I use a level 2 for CC/OC and a Level 3 duty at work.

With regards to the level 3:

One day some of my fellow co-workers wanted to see what the holster was capable of, so after work we conducted a little test. Im a righty so I handcuffed my left hand to my duty belt and i put a training gun in the holster and i began fending off any attempts to grab my gun from one of my co-workers. Elbows were exchanged and i was always able to reengage the hood everytime before my co-worker was able to engage the other lock and pull my gun from the holster. This went on for about 10 minutes before we both were exhausted and he said "screw it, im not getting your gun." after all this the only thing that broke were two of my belt loops. Oh and pulling up on the gun and twisting does not work.

Here is a picture (first one) of my work rig for the most part:

moz-screenshot.jpg
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/7876-1.html

happy carrying,

jason

bourneshooter

imported post

Welcom SickTag.

The Blackhawk CQC Serpa is the best for the price out there. Level 2 retention, rapid draw.

Please explain the 5thSFG picture on your profile. Are you? Were you?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Welcom SickTag.

The Blackhawk CQC Serpa is the best for the price out there. Level 2 retention, rapid draw.

Please explain the 5thSFG picture on your profile. Are you? Were you?

*ahem* Level 1..
I liked the serpa before it malfunctioned.:cuss: Still waiting for my replacement holster from Blackhawk.
That's too bad.

Anyway, I carry in a Safariland holster. Their ALS holsters are incredibly secure and doesn't slow down my draw at all.

http://www.safariland.com/product.aspx?pid=6377

Dahwg

imported post

Dahwg wrote:
I liked the serpa before it malfunctioned.:cuss: Still waiting for my replacement holster from Blackhawk.
My replacement just arrived from Blackhawk and life is good again. :celebrate

glockrocker

imported post

I've just ordered my Blackhawk Serpa, mainly because of the enthusiastic endorsements of all of you fine Americans. I'm getting a thigh rig like the one that SGT Jensen carries (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Hopefully I'll be as happy as all of you. :)

mazellan819

imported post

I just recently bought a cqc serpa and I love it. I really like how comfortable the paddle is. I haven’t tried the belt attachment but love the paddle. I would recommend it. And I like where the weapon release is. It doesn’t slow down my draw at all. I even draw faster than I did with a thumb break.

swillden

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
I just recently bought a cqc serpa and I love it. I really like how comfortable the paddle is. I haven’t tried the belt attachment but love the paddle. I would recommend it. And I like where the weapon release is. It doesn’t slow down my draw at all. I even draw faster than I did with a thumb break.
It's quick, but I'd highly recommend that anyone who carries a Serpa practice with it. A lot. (I'm sure you have, but I think it's worth mentioning). Try practicing a really fast, almost "panic grab" draw.

I found that until I'd done it a couple hundred times, about one time in ten I'd start to yank on the grip before my finger disengaged the release. If you're already pulling on the grip, you cannot press the release (I can't, anyway), so it's crucial that you train yourself to get that finger down before you start to pull.

I didn't have a similar problem with a thumb brake, partly because you can disengage the snap while pulling but mostly because the brake released before I got a good grip.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:
It's quick, but I'd highly recommend that anyone who carries a Serpa practice with it. A lot. (I'm sure you have, but I think it's worth mentioning). Try practicing a really fast, almost "panic grab" draw.

I found that until I'd done it a couple hundred times, about one time in ten I'd start to yank on the grip before my finger disengaged the release. If you're already pulling on the grip, you cannot press the release (I can't, anyway), so it's crucial that you train yourself to get that finger down before you start to pull.

I didn't have a similar problem with a thumb brake, partly because you can disengage the snap while pulling but mostly because the brake released before I got a good grip.
Great Advice!!!

I had similar experiences with drawing from the serpa. I hadn't muffed a draw in a long time, but last weekend, stressed and tired, taking a break from work decided to unwind with some draw and fire practice with snap caps, and on about the third draw I could have been dead. Very important to practice with any equipment, but especially important to practice with new equipment.

I'll throw out this little gem we had drilled in our head in scuba. If possible, never change more than one piece of gear at a time. The more things that are different, the more stress load and therefore the more likelihood of a mistake and/or panic. Mistakes you can often can fix. Panic will kill you.

Huck

imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
I think you'll find that the Blackhawk Serpas are a favorite here. I've got one, pull up and twist, gun pops right out.

For serious retention I think the only way to go is a leather holster with a thumb break.

That's my only regret about the pancake holster I bought from Simply Rugged is that I didnt get a thumb break retention strap. While I'd like to have the retention strapI dont see it as a big problem, the holster holds the pistol high and tight to my side plus it's a snug fit so it would be difficult for someone to grab it. But a retention strap would be a bit more secure.