• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing out of state res.

Racerman

imported post

spyderdude wrote:
Hope you enjoy your stay here in The Last Frontier, it's a unique place where nobody cares what you drive, or how you look. :)

I lived in AK in 1974 and 1975 and that is exactly what I discovered. I liked the fact that there was no fashion there, I just needed to be practical. I lived out on Chena Hot Springs road and had to hitchhike for a couple of weeks until I bought a truck. Everyone stopped to offer a ride to and from work. It wasn't like that in the lower 48.

I learned to always stop for someone broken down, especially in the winter, if only to see if they needed to get in the truck to warm up. I like the general brotherhood of the Alaskan people. They all care about each other, and that is a good thing. I think I am going to have a great time.

Racerman

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Wow, maybe I need to move WAY up North...
Hey, I lived in VA for 3 1/2 years too and I like the liberal attitude with Second Amendment rights. Theview pointof law enforcement is just short of your getting a medal for shooting the bad guys. The good guys come first for the most part. Maybe I just need to get out of FL....way too many anti-gun types from the north moving down here that tryto impose their attitudes on practical people (not that all northerners are like that). At least I can CC here, and do often.

AbNo

imported post

Well, after living in Miramar, Davie, and Hollywood, I didn't see anything like that.

'course, back then (late 2004), I wasn't as positively pro-2A as I am now. :D

Racerman

imported post

This is an update to my original post. I just returned from AK and checked/declared my 44 mag and PM40 Kahr up and back. I flew Alaska Airlines from Orlando, FB to Anchorage and FB to Seatlle, Seatlle to LA through to Orlando. I declared a total of five times. Here is what I did. I never had to open my case. I had to go to TSA every time except my departure from Orlando.

I removed the cylinder from the 44 mag. and removed my clip from the PM40 and put a large tie wrap through the barrel and ejection port. I also made up a card and laminated it that said I was declaring a firearm. This kept me from having to speak to the rep about it. They seemed to appreciate it.

I believe that the TSA can see the packing I did on their X-ray and the tie wrap. This told them that the guns were deifinitely not loaded and inoperable. They were very cooperative. I was a little nervous before leaving about this process, but now that I have done it over and over, I would pack my firearms on any trip to a friendly state (ones that honor my CCW permit).

BTW, I loved Alaska and the freedom you guys have. I carried everywhere I went mostly CC but open out in the wild. We covered from Galbreath lake down to Brooks Camp and many places in between. It was awesome.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Glade to hear you had a great trip. come back when ever you want. And bring more gun lovers with you. We need to run all the cry baby californians out of here.

Racerman

imported post

Yes, if it is lockable. I used the case my 44 Mag came in and there was also room for my Kahr PM40 plus the cylinder out of the 44. I think you can only have one case, but you can put multiple guns in that case.

This case had two sets of locking tabs, oneat each corner, so I used two locks. The locks must NOT be TSA locks where they could get in. You must be the only one thathas access to the guns. Have your lock key on your person when you check in. They might ask you to open the case. Good luck. It should go easy. Just act like you have done this before.....

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

swillden wrote:
Flintlock wrote: 
I wouldn't use the TSA approved locks for that item so nobody has access but you. They will call you over to look at it and do what they do.
Not sure if it's a regulation, but a TSA official told me that it cannot be secured with a "TSA approved" lock, it must be a non-approved lock.

That makes sense to me because "TSA approved" means there are thousands of keys around that will open it.  Not what you or the TSA wants in this case.

Right, that's basically the one rule that isn't set by the airline. The TSA doesn't want anybody but you to have the keys or know the combination to the locks on your gun.

AbNo

imported post

Pretty much.

I've brought back a pistol, and a year later 600+ rounds of ammo on a plane before. It's not that big of a deal.

Just walk in like you own the place. :cool:

colorado slick

imported post

Spyderman, is there any way I can get to Alaska without going through that God foresaken Canada?

I am thinking about moving up there from Colorado but, I have got to take my shooters with me. I have after all, read some of the bear storys up your way.

Thanks for any advise.

Colorado

AbNo

imported post

You could mail them to yourself or someone up there.

You could take them in your checked baggage (check your airline).

You could take a boat.