• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing out of state res.

Racerman

imported post

My wife and I are coming up to AK in August and I wanted to ship my 44mag and Kahr PM40 to FB. I CC in my state often andintended to OC and CC while there to promote our rights, but was told that I could not transfer Dlr to Dlr to AK if I was not a resident of AK.

I am a CWP holder in my state, not that it matters in AK, but it does prove I have had a background check and am not a felon, etc.

I have two basic questions: 1) is there a way to transfer my guns to AK short term? I know there are lots of lower 48 hunters who come to AK and hunt. What do they do for firearms? I would prefer to shoot my own guns with which I am familiar. And 2) am I allowed as an out of state resident to carry in AK at all either CC or OC?

I would appreciate anyones input on this. BTW, I have spent two winters (worked outside at up to -65 so I know the territory and like it) and a summer in AK and am considering moving there again if only part time.

Racerman

imported post

We are flying up. I'm not sure I want to risk losing my guns to baggage handlers. I know I can check them through check-in baggage, but what are the odds of them turning up missing?

swillden

imported post

Racerman wrote:
We are flying up. I'm not sure I want to risk losing my guns to baggage handlers. I know I can check them through check-in baggage, but what are the odds of them turning up missing?
I don't have any hard evidence, but I suspect that your guns are quite safe. Can you imagine what kind of heat the TSA would take for losing a gun INSIDE the sterile area of the airport?

I know a couple of pro photographers who pack a gun in their photography equipment cases specifically so that their expensive equipment ($20K+) will get the kid glove treatment. According to these guys -- and they travel a lot -- they've never lost anything that had a gun in it, and had lots of stuff disappear before stumbling onto this "trick". They often use a starter pistol, BTW, because the TSA considers it a firearm but the gun-grabbing states they travel to don't.

Racerman

imported post

swillden wrote:
Racerman wrote:
I don't have any hard evidence, but I suspect that your guns are quite safe. Can you imagine what kind of heat the TSA would take for losing a gun INSIDE the sterile area of the airport?

I know a couple of pro photographers who pack a gun in their photography equipment cases specifically so that their expensive equipment ($20K+) will get the kid glove treatment. According to these guys -- and they travel a lot -- they've never lost anything that had a gun in it, and had lots of stuff disappear before stumbling onto this "trick". They often use a starter pistol, BTW, because the TSA considers it a firearm but the gun-grabbing states they travel to don't.
That is very good information and it makes perfect sense. I'll do some investigating on how to report the firearms in my check-in baggage. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

Flintlock

imported post

Racerman wrote:
swillden wrote:
Racerman wrote:

That is very good information and it makes perfect sense. I'll do some investigating on how to report the firearms in my check-in baggage. Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks.

The thing to do is bring them with you on checked baggage. I have pasted the link forinformation from TSA's web site but it really depends on the individual airline how they handle firearms. If you come onAlaska Airlines, they are very used to seeing firearms and have liberal rules and few hassles. The firearm needs to be cased in a lockable airline approved case. I wouldn't use the TSA approved locks for that item so nobody has access but you. They will call you over to look at it and do what they do.

Initially, You take them up to the check-in area and you go through some procedures. Depending on the airline, you are normally allowed to put the ammunition in with the gun but in it's original packaging. I would put a tie wrap in the gun, take the bolt out, magazines, etc.. and make sure it's unloaded.. If it's a handgun, a quick field strip is what I would do. But anyway, look at the airline's rules and go from there. You can't go through an FFL because they will require a valid Alaska drivers license to pick them up. I know, I've done this...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#6

swillden

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
I wouldn't use the TSA approved locks for that item so nobody has access but you. They will call you over to look at it and do what they do.
Not sure if it's a regulation, but a TSA official told me that it cannot be secured with a "TSA approved" lock, it must be a non-approved lock.

That makes sense to me because "TSA approved" means there are thousands of keys around that will open it. Not what you or the TSA wants in this case.

AbNo

imported post

+1 on shipping in your checked bags.

It's worked for me before, and I've even done it with a few hundred rounds of ammo on a separate trip.

Although, I never locked my bag... :shock:

Racerman

imported post

Thanks for all of the good advice. I have checked with the TSA website and Alaska Airlines for their regulations and rules. The only thing is that I can only bring one locked case and put both guns in it. That is the rule for AA. No problem.

You can bring ammo too with AA, up to 50 pounds, much more than I will need.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

swillden wrote:
I used to work as a baggage handler for Delta Air Linesat PDX and we had a daily flight to Anchorage. Firearms were regular passengers in the luggage bins and none were ever stolen while I worked there. The rules have changed since then because they used to require a blaze-orange tag on the outside of the bag that stated that there was a firearm inside. Apparently not every airline or station was as trustworthy as the PDX Delta crew so they changed the rules to require that the tag be on the inside of the bag only.

I'm pretty sure that your guns will be safe, Racerman.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

put the firearms in a hard sided case, lock them with a padlock or a combo lock, NOT A TSA LOCK. by FAA regulations the case has to be secured by a lock that only the passenger can open by combo or key.

When you walk up to the counter, say hello then say " I have an unloaded firearm to declare" they will give you a piece of paperwork to sign stating it is unloaded, at that time the agent may ask you to open the case so they can verify that it is unloaded(this is completely up to the agent) do not handle the firearm. open the case to show them the slide is open, if its a revolver and you can take the wheel off do so before hand, if not try to pack it so that the wheel is in the open position. then close the case put your lock back on it. you are then going to be given a copy of that paper you signed, place it ontop of the gun case in your baggage. you will get your paperwork. walk your bag over to the tsa check point for luggage when you hand it over to the agent tell them "there is a declared firearm in my baggage" they will take your bag and ask you to step over to a special area,(most times the ticket agent will also call there desk to let them know, but again SOMETIMES) they will put ur bag therew the x-ray machine then put it on a table open it and verify that the case is locked, they MAY ask you for your key give it to them, they will then open it to check its unloaded(again not all will do this) then they will relock it and give you your key back and you are good to go to your gate. when you get here you will get your bag just like any other flight on the carousel.

I travel with my firearms all the time and have never had a problem, especially after they see that I know what is going on.

also they will NOT mark the bag in any special way to signify there is a firearm in it, it is currently against BATF regulations to do so.

AbNo

imported post

Wow, I never had to go through that much leaving Little Rock.

"Hi, need to declare a handgun."

"Ok, is it unloaded?"

"Yes."

"Is it locked in a hard case?"

"Yes."

"Ok, here's your tag, give it to that guy over there."

"Thank you. :shock:"

phillyman

imported post

So can you carry ammo in the same hard locked case? I remember I did a while back when I went to kodiak for a hunt. I'm wondering if it is still the same. All the AkAir site say is that the firearm and ammo need to be "properly" packaged. Obviously i wouldn't think you could have the clip loaded, but have the ammo in a box sitting next to the gun in the case??

Been a while since I flew with one.

Flintlock

imported post

phillyman wrote:
So can you carry ammo in the same hard locked case? I remember I did a while back when I went to kodiak for a hunt. I'm wondering if it is still the same. All the AkAir site say is that the firearm and ammo need to be "properly" packaged. Obviously i wouldn't think you could have the clip loaded, but have the ammo in a box sitting next to the gun in the case??

Been a while since I flew with one.
Check again with AA but when I flew them last, I was allowed to put the ammunition in with the firearm but it had to be in it's original packaging.

swillden

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Check again with AA but when I flew them last, I was allowed to put the ammunition in with the firearm but it had to be in it's original packaging.
According to the TSA's web site you can also have the ammunition in a magazine as long as the end of the magazine is not open. So, put the magazine in a closeable magazine pouch and it should be fine. I think the concern is that they want to be sure the ammunition isn't going to end up rolling around loose.

Airlines can have more restrictive policies, though, so the best thing is to check with the airline. I know Delta follows the federal laws exactly, except that they limit the number of firearms that you can take as "free" baggage. More than two rifles, two shotguns or five pistols and they'll charge you an excess baggage fee, even if you're otherwise under the size and weight limits.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

AbNo wrote:
Wow, I never had to go through that much leaving Little Rock.

"Hi, need to declare a handgun."

"Ok, is it unloaded?"

"Yes."

"Is it locked in a hard case?"

"Yes."

"Ok, here's your tag, give it to that guy over there."

"Thank you. :shock:"
just want to make sure the guy is well informed. I Imagen that the security in little rock isn't as strict at some other places.

Baradium

imported post

The Alaska law doesn't specify residents anywhere in it, so you can carry.

Additionally, Alaska specifically recognizes all out of state permits (this is done to get reciprocity for Alaskans that choose to get the optional Alaska permit).

So you're fine either way there.

Racerman

imported post

Baradium wrote:
The Alaska law doesn't specify residents anywhere in it, so you can carry.

Additionally, Alaska specifically recognizes all out of state permits (this is done to get reciprocity for Alaskans that choose to get the optional Alaska permit).

So you're fine either way there.
Thanks again to everyone. I will carry in AK, it's our right. If we don't exercise that right, we stand to lose it. That is why I carry, as well as securityreasons, in my home state. I haven't been a member of this site for long, but I value it and what it stands for.