• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New or Used? What say you?

Custodian

imported post

What say you, forum?

I'm not exactly Daddy Warbucks.

Do I buy (read as: at least look at) for a used pistol or buy new and know that all the problems are between either me the shooter or the manufacturer? Or take chances with an unknown third, (fourth, fifth, sixth) party?

And let's say (because of my career choice as a Correctional Officer/Law Enforcement Officer) I get involved in a shooting. Is it better to buy a lower priced decent gun that will get taken away pending investigation/trial? Or buy a good one with a back-up, eventually?

I don't know. But maybe your collective wisdom does.

Inquiries? Your two-cents? Random Thoughts? Shoutouts? Praise? Deals on new/like new/mint condition) used guns for a NC LEO that supports your inalienable rights and wants more of you guys around to maybe enter political office?

LewisWetzel

imported post

If you're going used, you really can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.Every one they make is builtto last. An old 4" Security Six in .357 is an excellent value, and a great open carry weapon. If $ is really an issue, I'd stick to revolvers. Pistols can get really "iffy" for what you're thinking (4th-6th "generation")

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have bought both NIB and good condition used. Buying used if you know enough (or take someone with you who does) to ensure that you are getting a good condition product for a good price is always an option, IMO. Sig Sauer sells CPO (certified pre-owned) pistols that have been refurbished by the manufacturers and IIRC are warranted. That seems a pretty safe way to buy a used pistol at about half the cost of a new one.

The typical firearm owner does not shoot enough to begin to wear out a gun. However, they may also not maintain them well and do nothing beyond throw them in a drawer for years after putting a few mags through them. But some people, like a friend of mine, buy a gun for the wrong reasons and then after getting some training find out it doesn't suit them well at all. My friend is getting rid of a Sig P220 that only has about 300 rds through it, all in training last month, and prior to that it came home from the gun store a few years ago and sat in it's NIB packaging, unloaded for about 3 years. That's a half price "used" pistol well worth it. So, I guess my opinion sums up to "it depends" on many factors including the buyers knowledge and the individual pistol.

AbNo

imported post

Something else to consider is to look at the manufacturer's warranty.

If you have a company with a good warranty (Springfield Armory, or Hipoint: God's Warranty), then buying used can be a winning proposition.

Honestly, my first pistol (an XD-40) was given to me as a gift, after my stepdad had it for a few years.

Other than that one time I let it sit uncleaned for a couple of weeks, I haven't had any problems out of it, other than having to almost break it in again when I first used it. :D

A buddy of mine has a bunch of old Eastern Bloc pieces, including a Mosin Nagant (1940), a PA-63, and his mom's old .35 Remington lever-action rifle. I think the Taurus PT-92 he picked up was also used, but I can't remember.

They've all worked beautifully.

SFDoc

imported post

LewisWetzel wrote:
If you're going used, you really can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver.Every one they make is builtto last. An old 4" Security Six in .357 is an excellent value, and a great open carry weapon. If $ is really an issue, I'd stick to revolvers. Pistols can get really "iffy" for what you're thinking (4th-6th "generation")

Second that on the Ruger Security Six .357.Got mine used, many years ago, from a friend with the state police. I think I paid somewhere around $90 for it back then. Still carry it and have never had any problems. One of the best shooting (if not the best) pistols I own.

You may want to check out the EAA WindicatorEAACorp.com - European American Armory Corporation . Wife gave me the 2" .357 for my birthday, was very suprised at how well it shot. Carry it as a back up.

OBXMIKE

imported post

No shame at all in going used. You can get a copy of the local "bargain trader" or the like, and some real decent deals can be found if you look for them. Also, gun shows can be a boon for good deals..........not necessarily inside at the tables, but person-to-person sales outside the confines ofthe show. Also, check your local pawn shops out. Some have prices on used guns that are ABOVE new retail, but some do have deals if you have cash and ask for a fair price. Check on-line places like gunbroker/gunsamerica/auction arms for approximate valuations, use that as a reference for what you might want to offer a seller (or less!).

My meager collection is probably split 50/50 bought new vs used. I've had good luck in my used purchases. Just look the gun over really close. If it's a revolver, look for a cylinder that locks up tight and doesn't move front to back/side to side when cocked. Look for any bulging in the barrel. If the gun has active safety features, make sure they work properly. Don't worry too much about dirty cylinders, crud rings, and black marks...all that can be scrubbed out. Besides, a scratch or two already there will make you less likely to cry the first time you bonk it up against something! I've bought several handguns over the years that my first impression was "uggh....that's dirty..." and have cleaned up near new and shoot like new.

And gotta second the recommend for a used Ruger........nearly indestructable!

gotarheels03

imported post

All 4 guns I own I bought used. A .22 pistol, 2 Sig Sauer P6's, and a DPMS AR. I haven't had a single problem with any of them other than holster wear and rusty grip screws on one of the Sigs.

Also, if you buy a used sig you can always send it in to Sig for SSP work.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

you can find some good deals on beretta 92 and 96's right now.. a lot of police trade ins atm.

NIB is good cause you know it's history and it should have a warranty..

Used is fine although sometimes people try to sell junk.. just gotta look it over real good and even then you take you chances.. usually if it has holster wear or otherwise worn finish you can usually get a good deal.. function over fashion.

jbowers24

imported post

Some, like a $250 Bersa, you don't get any real discount for used. On something like a Glock, you may save$150. That's money toward a good holster, or other goodies. Generally I suggest buying usedif you can look at it first, and ifYOU feel the brand is reliable. Always nice to save some money. You'd be amazed how many good guns have maybe 1-2 range trips on them and nothing more.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Alternatively, buy a friend's gun!

You'll get to shoot it and you'll know the history. Obviously, if your friend complains about it frequently, that's not a gun to get.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My first (and so far only) handgun was boughtused from a friend. I got the Ruger P345 with 5 magazines (a HUGE bonus!) for $350. Only had about 200 rds through the pipe.

One word of caution if you purchase a pistol that has a magazine disconnect like my Ruger. Be certain the previous user did not dry fire it without an empty magazine inserted. That can cause damage to the firing pin block and cause it's failure. It might be wise to fire it first and possibly have it checked out by a gunsmith before purchasing, if possible.

I didn't have that problem, but I've read about it happeneing over on RugerForums.com

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Custodian wrote:
What say you, forum?

I'm not exactly Daddy Warbucks.

Do I buy (read as: at least look at) for a used pistol or buy new and know that all the problems are between either me the shooter or the manufacturer? Or take chances with an unknown third, (fourth, fifth, sixth) party?

And let's say (because of my career choice as a Correctional Officer/Law Enforcement Officer) I get involved in a shooting. Is it better to buy a lower priced decent gun that will get taken away pending investigation/trial? Or buy a good one with a back-up, eventually?

I don't know. But maybe your collective wisdom does.

Inquiries? Your two-cents? Random Thoughts? Shoutouts? Praise? Deals on new/like new/mint condition) used guns for a NC LEO that supports your inalienable rights and wants more of you guys around to maybe enter political office?

First off...I don't buy from Gun shops anymore because I don't want a "registered" gun. So I use the Private market and therefore Used guns.

I bought a S&W 4006 .40 recently for $300 and I love it. Shoots GREAT.

Just my .40

TJ