• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawmakers Consider Stun Gun Restrictions. KTRV Fox12 Boise, Idaho

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.fox12news.com/Global/story.asp?S=7973797

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Idaho lawmakers are pushing measures to restrict the use of stun guns by the general public. The House State Affairs Committee voted Wednesday to take testimony on a bill that would require citizens to have concealed weapon permits to carry the devices, such as Tasers. The measure would also ban sales to minors.

The Senate is amending a second bill that would restrict felons, drug addicts and those charged with or convicted of a crime with a prison sentence of at least a year from carrying the weapons. The guns have been under scrutiny because of a national controversy surrounding their use by law enforcement.

Amnesty International says at least 290 people died after being struck by police Tasers between 2001 and 2007. The concerns have prompted at least seven states to ban use of the weapons among the general public.

Arizona-based Taser International denies its products are solely to blame in any of the deaths.
2A says "arms." 2A does not say 'firearms'.

Either they are equal or they are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA KMA$$ OH, and TASERs

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I hope someone up there is fighting this. I don't think TASERs are 100% non lethal but they are orders of magnitude less lethal than firearms. Seems to me that they are basically encouraging people to carry handguns instead of TASERs. Thats bad for 2 reasons, some criminals might get shot and killed unnecessarily, but worse some folks who wouldn't carry a gun or can't get a permit a being denied an avenue of self defense.

imperialism2024

imported post

They wrote:
The guns have been under scrutiny because of a national controversy surrounding their use by law enforcement.

Amnesty International says at least 290 people died after being struck by police Tasers between 2001 and 2007. The concerns have prompted at least seven states to ban use of the weapons among the general public.

So, the police misuse Tasers... so they ban the public from using them? Sounds as great as the TSA rule that bans lighters but allows matches on planes after someone tries to light (allegedly) a shoe bomb with matches.

Granted, I don't see myself ever carrying a Taser (may as well just carry a 9mm), but that doesn't mean I want to prevent other people from carrying them. I guess having rights uninfringed for keeping and bearing a type of arm was good while it lasted...

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

longwatch wrote:
I hope someone up there is fighting this. I don't think TASERs are 100% non lethal but they are orders of magnitude less lethal than firearms. Seems to me that they are basically encouraging people to carry handguns instead of TASERs. Thats bad for 2 reasons, some criminals might get shot and killed unnecessarily, but worse some folks who wouldn't carry a gun or can't get a permit a being denied an avenue of self defense.
The state will protect them of course. :banghead:

Flintlock

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
2A says "arms." 2A does not say 'firearms'.

You are 100% correct and it gets hardly any press and even the pro-gun organizations speak little about it.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Divide and conquer, distract and conquer.

Same as banning the most dangerous calibers and the worst gun shops. There will always be a most dangerous caliber weapon and a worst gun shop until there are no dangerous weapons and no gun shops.

They even work from the bottom, banning cheap and small weapons and gun shops without 'brick and mortar' presences.

Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

Don't fear the evil instrumentality hoplein, fear the evil person directing it.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
[SNIP] 2A says "arms." 2A does not say 'firearms'.
This is something I've considered before, and wondered if I was alone in thinking that. It's nice to know I'm not! Does anyone know if this has been written about or discussed at length? I'd be interested in reading more on that subject.

imperialism2024

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
[SNIP] 2A says "arms." 2A does not say 'firearms'.
This is something I've considered before, and wondered if I was alone in thinking that. It's nice to know I'm not! Does anyone know if this has been written about or discussed at length? I'd be interested in reading more on that subject.

Well, here I know we've discussed kind of the other side of the issue... http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/6472.html

Feel free to bring that thread back from the dead...