• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state resident and shooting in CT

smash29

imported post

Hey all!

Just found this board and had a question for someone wiser than I about out of state residents bringing firearms into the state for recreational shooting.

I was born and raised in CT but have been living in the great state of Georgia for the past 6 years. I still get to CT on occasion andwas interested in going to the range with a friend of mine next time I'm up but I'm not sure how/if that would work considering I don't live in CT and therefore don't have a CT firearms license. Would a licensed person need to hold onto my gun if I brought it up? I realize different ranges have different rules but would I generally be able to shoot at a range if I gowith someone who has a CT license? Should I stick with using my buddy's gun and not even bother trying to bring my own? (I hope the answer to that last question is no, I'm not a big fan of the Glock he has!) Unfortunately my buddy just got his license a few months agoand is about as useful as a milk bucket under a bull when it comes to this stuff so I figured I'd ask here.

Any advice or info on what I'd need to (or can) do would be appreciated!

buketdude

imported post

smash29 wrote:
Hey all!

Just found this board and had a question for someone wiser than I about out of state residents bringing firearms into the state for recreational shooting.

I was born and raised in CT but have been living in the great state of Georgia for the past 6 years. I still get to CT on occasion andwas interested in going to the range with a friend of mine next time I'm up but I'm not sure how/if that would work considering I don't live in CT and therefore don't have a CT firearms license. Would a licensed person need to hold onto my gun if I brought it up? I realize different ranges have different rules but would I generally be able to shoot at a range if I gowith someone who has a CT license? Should I stick with using my buddy's gun and not even bother trying to bring my own? (I hope the answer to that last question is no, I'm not a big fan of the Glock he has!) Unfortunately my buddy just got his license a few months agoand is about as useful as a milk bucket under a bull when it comes to this stuff so I figured I'd ask here.

You could bring your handgun to CT (locked in the trunk)...you just can't carry it (if you come here often enough, you can get a CT pistol permit)...and you can bring it to a range/shoot it if you are with him...there is no firearms license..if you have a rifle/shotgun..you need no license

30 cal slut

imported post

sorry for the late reply.

1) long gun (provided it's not an assault weapon as defined by loopy CT law) ... you should be okay without a CT pistol permit.

2) handgun. do not bring it into the state UNLESS a) you are moving into CT OR 2) you have a valid CT pistol permit. otherwise your risk FELONY ARREST.

smash29 wrote:
Hey all!

brk913

imported post

30 cal slut wrote:
I have to add, per statute 29-35, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

2) handgun. do not bring it into the state UNLESS a) you are moving into CT OR 2) you have a valid CT pistol permit. otherwise your risk FELONY ARREST.

smash29 wrote:
Hey all!