• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bersa 380

MetalChris

imported post

expvideo wrote:
Also remember that any new gun should have at least 200 rounds shot through it before it can be considered reliable. You are supposed to "break in" any new gun. In fact, as nice as Kahrs are, they put in their manual that you can't rely on them at all until they have had their 200 round break-in. Through those 200 rounds, there may be a few jams, maybe even more than a few. But after the break in, you shouldn't experience any more jamming.

For real. You have to break guns in. Many people will buy a new gun, fire one box of ammo through it, and then jump on to the internet talking about how their gun jams, and that model can't be trusted, etc. So there's a lot of bad information out there from people that don't understand that guns, like boots, have to be broken in.
I think I'd already put about 300 rounds through it when the problem cropped up on me, but like I said it seemed to go away when I used decent ammo.

sjhipple

imported post

USAF_MetalChris wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Also remember that any new gun should have at least 200 rounds shot through it before it can be considered reliable. You are supposed to "break in" any new gun. In fact, as nice as Kahrs are, they put in their manual that you can't rely on them at all until they have had their 200 round break-in. Through those 200 rounds, there may be a few jams, maybe even more than a few. But after the break in, you shouldn't experience any more jamming.

For real. You have to break guns in. Many people will buy a new gun, fire one box of ammo through it, and then jump on to the internet talking about how their gun jams, and that model can't be trusted, etc. So there's a lot of bad information out there from people that don't understand that guns, like boots, have to be broken in.
I think I'd already put about 300 rounds through it when the problem cropped up on me, but like I said it seemed to go away when I used decent ammo.
I usually just target shoot FMJ from Winchester, Blazer or Mastercast. For carry, I use Federal Premium hollow points. Good enough?

MetalChris

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
USAF_MetalChris wrote:
expvideo wrote:

I usually just target shoot FMJ from Winchester, Blazer or Mastercast. For carry, I use Federal Premium hollow points. Good enough?
Yeah that should work. I normally use Magtech FMJ as my target rounds and Cor-Bon DPX (soon to be Hydrashoks) as my SD round, so you should be good.

I'll be firing it again tomorrow and let you know how that goes.

rkj

imported post

I really like my Thunder 380. It shoots well. It ain't no 45 ACP, butcarry some good HP rounds and you should be OK.

I kind of wish I had gone with the Bersa 380 CC. It is smaller and better for conceal carry. The T' 380 is just a tad big to carry in your pocket.

expvideo

imported post

rkj wrote:
I really like my Thunder 380. It shoots well. It ain't no 45 ACP, butcarry some good HP rounds and you should be OK.

I kind of wish I had gone with the Bersa 380 CC. It is smaller and better for conceal carry. The T' 380 is just a tad big to carry in your pocket.
The 380 CC feels nice in the hands, too. I don't like the sights though. It's made for close up self defense point shooting, so the sights are useless for the range. Comfortable gun though.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rkj wrote:
Does it get enough velocity to for the hollow-point to open up?

WARCHILD

imported post

Citizen wrote:
rkj wrote:

I use the Corbon 135gr jhp's in my thunder 380. I shoot milk jugs of ice at 50ft. Makes a pretty good mess. I'd hate to recieve one at 20ft or less! I would like to try it in some ballistic gell, but can't afford it.

oops, forgot to add, I realize ICE, doesn't give the same results as soft tissue damage by this round, hence the gell test. But given the ice results, I think BONE is in for some real damage.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Citizen wrote:
rkj wrote:

I use the Corbon 135gr jhp's in my thunder 380. I shoot milk jugs of ice at 50ft. Makes a pretty good mess. I'd hate to recieve one at 20ft or less! I would like to try it in some ballistic gell, but can't afford it.

oops, forgot to add, I realize ICE, doesn't give the same results as soft tissue damage by this round, hence the gell test. But given the ice results, I think BONE is in for some real damage.
If you want to get closer to a ballistic gel test, check out Box O' Truth's web site and their testing methods if you are not familiar with the site. They explain why they use that protocol as well. Or, even easier, contact the site and offer to send them a box of ammo for testing. They'll test about anything if someone sends them the ammo to run through it's paces.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Go back to page 1 of this thread. A bit below the middle of the page I have a link to brassfetcher's tests of .380 ammo. I was amazed at the performance of Federal's Hydrashok. It opened up to about .45" and penetrated 12"! I find this incredible, especially considering it was fired from a Kel-Tec P3AT, which has a 2.75" barrel. They correct their penetration values in every block of gelatin by firing a few calibration BBs too.

Today's ammunition is very high tech, JHP's are usually designed to open at specific velocities. Manufacturers of quality .380 ammunition know that the bullet will need to expand at lower velocities. For example, speer makes gold dot's specifically designed to expand at low velocities. These bullets may be in their Short Barrel ammo, although I'm not certain on that.

(Nevermind, lol, I was getting WAY off topic there)

expvideo

imported post

Weak 9mm wrote:
Go back to page 1 of this thread. A bit below the middle of the page I have a link to brassfetcher's tests of .380 ammo. I was amazed at the performance of Federal's Hydrashok. It opened up to about .45" and penetrated 12"! I find this incredible, especially considering it was fired from a Kel-Tec P3AT, which has a 2.75" barrel. They correct their penetration values in every block of gelatin by firing a few calibration BBs too.

Today's ammunition is very high tech, JHP's are usually designed to open at specific velocities. Manufacturers of quality .380 ammunition know that the bullet will need to expand at lower velocities. For example, speer makes gold dot's specifically designed to expand at low velocities. These bullets may be in their Short Barrel ammo, although I'm not certain on that.

(Nevermind, lol, I was getting WAY off topic there)
Precisely. The federal hydrashoks in my fiancee's Bersa Thunder .380 have a much larger hollow point opening than the hollow points in my Sig P226 9mm, even though the bullets have the same diameter.

MDA_II

imported post

I just bought this gun for my wife to use as home defense, and I can't complain. I've never been a big fan of .380's but I really liked this when I test shot it and I carry it now as my concealed when we both go out.

Put around 300 rounds through it so far and it's performed great.

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

JOHNNY.1983 wrote:
i just bought a bersa thunder 380 dbl action semi -auto what do u guys think ? worth it or not?

No! its a ******* piece of crap.

Here are some reasons why:

1. The safety is on the slide
2. It has a safety (3 actually)
3. DA/SA Trigger systems are useless. Do not put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on your target and you have made the decision to fire.
4. key locking trigger option is garbage. Get a safe if you are worried about kids on criminals getting to it.
5. The weapon wont fire with the mag out.
6. combination de-cocking leaver and safety.
7. IF you buy one new, it comes in cardboard box COVERED in cosmoline and wrapped in a plastic bag, like the tossed in a bucket of lard.
8. The gun also only comes with 1 mag new.
9. The Magazines are expensive
10. working on the weapon or getting replacement parts is also very expensive

If you have $200-$300 now to waste on a Bersa .380, then wait till you have $400-$500 and buy a Glock.

WARCHILD

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
JOHNNY.1983 wrote:
i just bought a bersa thunder 380 dbl action semi -auto what do u guys think ? worth it or not?

3. DA/SA Trigger systems are useless. Do not put your finger on the trigger until your sights are on your target and you have made the decision to fire.
4. key locking trigger option is garbage. Get a safe if you are worried about kids on criminals getting to it.
7. IF you buy one new, it comes in cardboard box COVERED in cosmoline and wrapped in a plastic bag, like the tossed in a bucket of lard.

If you have $200-$300 now to waste on a Bersa .380, then wait till you have $400-$500 and buy a Glock.
I am greatly surprised. I wonder if you just happen to get one as the result of a bad day at the factory. I just bought my Bersa Thunder .380 a year ago here in Mich.and it came in, yes, a cardboard box (so did my Taurus 24/7) for $139.00 out the door and it wasn't packed in grease, and it came with 2 clips in the box. I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet. Sorry you seem to have gotten a bad deal.

Weak 9mm

imported post

Bravo Sierra is full of it, as his name implies. Many editors have nothing but good things to say about the little Bersa, and with the slightest of adjustments (Described in the link) it's just fine. The gun is much cheaper than many others, and for some folks it's all they can or want to pay for a gun. My favorite writer, Jeff at Gunblast, has had HUNDREDS of reports from buyers of the Bersa, with nothing but great feedback. He even states that this is not always the case with guns he reviews. Here is where it's stated:

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380-2.htm

"[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Everyday, I answer in excess of 100 reader emails, covering every conceivable gun topic. Some of it is just fan mail, some of it is hate mail, and much of it is of the "what is my gun worth?" type of email. However, since writing about the Bersa Thunder .380 auto pistol over five and one-half years ago, I still get more mail regarding that pistol than any other gun review that I have ever done. Typically, someone reads the review, buys the Bersa, and writes in to tell me how much they enjoy the little pistol."

[/font]
Jeff at Gunblast is a guy who has never steered me wrong, and is someone with whom I've communicated. He doesn't ignore any emails and that says a lot for someone getting as many emails as he does.

Bravo Sierra thinks that only the 9mm is good, that only the Glock 19 is good, and that any sort of modification to anything is a complete waste of time. He has nothing but negative things to say about pretty much anything that is not a Glock 19. I honestly doubt he even had "an experience" with this gun.

Bravo Sierra had no problem trashing a product I wrote about, even after admitting he did not read anything about it, had never seen it and had never used it. Honestly, I wouldn't trust anything he says, even if he claimed to have seen a product.

expvideo

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
JOHNNY.1983 wrote:

First of all, none of those things make it a piece of crap. It works exactly as advertised. If you don't like safeties, buy a different gun. It does come generously lubricated, but it's with gun oil, not cosmoline. #10 is absolute BS. The gun has a lifetime warranty and Bersa will fix or replace anything on the gun for free.

You have no idea what you are talking about. You don't like safeties and this gun has safeties. Other than that, everything you said is an absolute load of crap.

Samuel Adams

imported post

You won't hear me say anything nice about Bersa. I had to opportunity to rent one at the rangea few weeks agoand it was a piece of garbage. The hammer failed to fall the first three times I pulled the trigger. It then fired without my finger on the trigger. At least it was pointed down range. In addition, the slidecatch was so sensitive that itreleased when I layed the weapon down.