• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MCPD pats self on back

Tomahawk

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Now's the moment for you to provide some evidence that any of the above quoted BS is true. We're waiting.
And how would i "prove" that?

That's your frigging problem. You're the one who chose, with his very first post, to accuse members of this forum of being liars, stirring up trouble,and provoking police.

Maybe if you had nothing to back it up you should have approached this by asking to hear the other side of the story, first, but instead you passed judgment on people you don't know and have never met without any discussion.

I've been out to eat with the guys in that incident more times than I can count, and I can personally vouch for their behavior and their honesty. You are just some anonymous blip on the internet to me; if you want this outrageous claim of yours to be taken seriously, the burden is on you to provide some evidence or to apologize.

VAopencarry

imported post

You really think if the OC'ers reached for their guns in any way they would have walked out of that place without cuffs on, or on a stretcher. I think you are most likely a 14 year old just trying to stir up shit. If not, your friends are idiots. They must have been drunk if that is their account of what happened.

cato

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
I will. I have been aproponent for concealed and open carry ever since I was in the military. There are ways to go about educating people. Doing crazy crap like was done here is NOT the way to go about it. I grew up in that area and know the restaurant owners and workers, real good people. I know the truth, and it isn't the way it was portrayed by the open carrying guys there. Under no circumstances should we make gestures towrads our guns and be rude to law enforcement, it doesn't make us look good. They should have just showed ID to the officers and gone from there. Following that if the cops were rude or tried to arrest then that's another story. That didn't happen though as we all know.

Oh, so you weren't just being sarcastic? You are more like HankT than I first believed.

Now's the moment for you to provide some evidence that any of the above quoted BS is true. We're waiting.
And how would i "prove" that? I have some friends in the restaurant who told me what happened. As stated prior, they are very good people and have no reason to lie. I saw the story a long time ago in the paper and it didn't seem right to me. If the officers really had violated your rights they would have been sued, that's obvious. I do believe it is wrong for them to write the computer stuff they did, but that's more of a departmental issue than a civil rights issue. I have noticed a lot of anti-LE stuff on this forum (and other pro-gun forums) and I think that's the wrong way to go about this. Some people here are mis-informed on the law and give bad advice with respect to how to deal with LE.

Welcome nitrovic

It's a matter of perspective. It is entirely possiblefor two or more people to observe the same event and see two different things based on a huge number of variables including line of sight, hearing, as well as past personal experienceandbias.

I'm a cop out here and I encounter this phenomenon quite regularly during investigations. Eye witness accounts and descriptions of crimes, suspects and other events like traffic collisions are often refuted by video evidence when available.

So it is easy for me to believe that what your friends observed was what they truly believe happened.

Your friends may also have your bias that when ID is asked for by officers without the force of law behind the request that one should just comply so they will go away. Someone who is not completely neutral will be swayed immediately to one side or another from the moment police cars arrive in the parking lot.To comply or not isa personal choice one can make but I don't think poorlyof one who chooses to lawfully refuse.

The officers alsosuggestedthat they "cover up" which as you know would have then subjected the "Manassass 7" to arrest and they were quite proper to refuse. Someone following your appeasement approach may well have gotten arrested for following the request.

The FOIAed info revealed quite clearly the attitude of the responding officers was not what should be expected and demanded of those with the privilege of holding the public trust and fairly enforcingour laws.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cato wrote:
The FOIAed info revealed quite clearly the attitude of the responding officers was not what should be expected and demanded of those with the privilege of holding the public trust and fairly enforcingour laws.
Yes. And the FOIA'd info showed a whole lot more.

Just one or two points, out of many:

1. The police claimedin their internal investigation report that there was never any issueduring the incidentaboutit beingunlawful to conceal a handgun inarestaurant that serves alcohol. Yet minutes afterthe incident there was a police car text message giving theVA Code that deals with carrying concealedweapons. And hours later there was a police e-mail where an officer who was there wasmessaging others who were there the very subsection ofCode that prohibits concealed handguns in restaurants that serve alcohol. If there was never any issue about CC in alcohol restaurants, why were police suddenly interested enough to be asking and answering each other on it?

2.Thepolice claimed in their internal investigation report that the IDdemand was really a request in the nature ofseeking which LEdepartment the sevengun owners belonged to. This was a laughable explanation. Assuming they're both out of uniform, how many police officers walk up to another person he suspects is an LEO and asks for ID ashis opening question? Of course not. By their own reports on this forum,LE just askthe other suspected LEO, "What departmentyou with?" Or, "Who do you work for?"

nitrovic

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
And how would i "prove" that?

That's your frigging problem. You're the one who chose, with his very first post, to accuse members of this forum of being liars, stirring up trouble,and provoking police.

Maybe if you had nothing to back it up you should have approached this by asking to hear the other side of the story, first, but instead you passed judgment on people you don't know and have never met without any discussion.

I've been out to eat with the guys in that incident more times than I can count, and I can personally vouch for their behavior and their honesty. You are just some anonymous blip on the internet to me; if you want this outrageous claim of yours to be taken seriously, the burden is on you to provide some evidence or to apologize.

nitrovic

imported post

cato wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
I will. I have been aproponent for concealed and open carry ever since I was in the military. There are ways to go about educating people. Doing crazy crap like was done here is NOT the way to go about it. I grew up in that area and know the restaurant owners and workers, real good people. I know the truth, and it isn't the way it was portrayed by the open carrying guys there. Under no circumstances should we make gestures towrads our guns and be rude to law enforcement, it doesn't make us look good. They should have just showed ID to the officers and gone from there. Following that if the cops were rude or tried to arrest then that's another story. That didn't happen though as we all know.

Oh, so you weren't just being sarcastic? You are more like HankT than I first believed.

And how would i "prove" that? I have some friends in the restaurant who told me what happened. As stated prior, they are very good people and have no reason to lie. I saw the story a long time ago in the paper and it didn't seem right to me. If the officers really had violated your rights they would have been sued, that's obvious. I do believe it is wrong for them to write the computer stuff they did, but that's more of a departmental issue than a civil rights issue. I have noticed a lot of anti-LE stuff on this forum (and other pro-gun forums) and I think that's the wrong way to go about this. Some people here are mis-informed on the law and give bad advice with respect to how to deal with LE.

Welcome nitrovic

It's a matter of perspective. It is entirely possiblefor two or more people to observe the same event and see two different things based on a huge number of variables including line of sight, hearing, as well as past personal experienceandbias.

I'm a cop out here and I encounter this phenomenon quite regularly during investigations. Eye witness accounts and descriptions of crimes, suspects and other events like traffic collisions are often refuted by video evidence when available.

So it is easy for me to believe that what your friends observed was what they truly believe happened.

Your friends may also have your bias that when ID is asked for by officers without the force of law behind the request that one should just comply so they will go away. Someone who is not completely neutral will be swayed immediately to one side or another from the moment police cars arrive in the parking lot.To comply or not isa personal choice one can make but I don't think poorlyof one who chooses to lawfully refuse.

The officers alsosuggestedthat they "cover up" which as you know would have then subjected the "Manassass 7" to arrest and they were quite proper to refuse. Someone following your appeasement approach may well have gotten arrested for following the request.

Thanks for your civil reply. I think the FOIA reply from the one officer says it all-

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]"in the future even though the call is a serv. Request, if there is a report of weapons, can we at least try to send as many ofcs as there are weapons? there were 6 w/guns & a few of them got a rather nasty attitude even though there were about 8 of us"[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The "nasty attitude" part was what my source said happened as well, and my source was not the cop. My point still stands. There are better ways to go about this than than getting pissy with a bunch of cops. It looks bad in public. [/font]

Tomahawk

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
Disregard guys, my apoligies. I actually saw the youtube video with the Fairfax cops. I guess either my source was wrong or some other group was in the restaurant, i don't know. You guys seemed cool to the FFX guys. Maybe it was the good way the FFX guys approached, i don't know.
No prob. And sorry if I seemed like I was jumping on you hard, because, well...I was. These are friends of mine, after all, and we've had some trolls come around here before trying to stir shit up. If you ever met these guys, you'll know why I stick up for them.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

If you want to chat about this offline come to our next meetup, if I'm there at least you can hear our side of the story. Seriously no one in the Tonys group was seeking out the police to set them up or acted as you heard. If anything I expected Tonys to be 'safer' for OC than other places.

The big lesson I learned is that playing an 'I said, he said' game is tough to win without something to back my story up. This is one reason a FOIA was requested, what it discovered was unexpected to say the least.
I expect a lot of people have learned this lesson and like me, fully intend to be able to back their side of the story up, should it happen again.

nitrovic

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
Disregard guys, my apoligies. I actually saw the youtube video with the Fairfax cops. I guess either my source was wrong or some other group was in the restaurant, i don't know. You guys seemed cool to the FFX guys. Maybe it was the good way the FFX guys approached, i don't know.
No prob. And sorry if I seemed like I was jumping on you hard, because, well...I was. These are friends of mine, after all, and we've had some trolls come around here before trying to stir shit up. If you ever met these guys, you'll know why I stick up for them.

nitrovic

imported post

longwatch wrote:
If you want to chat about this offline come to our next meetup, if I'm there at least you can hear our side of the story. Seriously no one in the Tonys group was seeking out the police to set them up or acted as you heard. If anything I expected Tonys to be 'safer' for OC than other places.

The big lesson I learned is that playing an 'I said, he said' game is tough to win without something to back my story up. This is one reason a FOIA was requested, what it discovered was unexpected to say the least.
I expect a lot of people have learned this lesson and like me, fully intend to be able to back their side of the story up, should it happen again.

ufcfanvt

imported post

nitrovic wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Agreed. I also expect Tony's to be "safer" for OC considering they are very pro police and pro military. They really are good people working there (i grew up in the area and know them well). Maybe they just got spooked with the whole situation. Thanks for invite, it really does seem like you have some good people here. I watched the youtube video for the New Hampshire OC people and I don't agree with their tactics. The one guy was yelling at the cop and straight up lying about what was going on. I thought this site was the same, I was wrong.
Here, I'm assuming that we all love the U.S. and I think that all but a small minority on this forum appreciate the police and everything they do. I love this country because it is free and the day that I am forced to bow to even simple requests by the police is the day that this country ceases to be free. We live in a land where "papers please" is a request we can confidently deny, for NOW.
I think the problem here is that you have a lot of good cops in your family so you rightly have a good impression of Police. The truth is that maybe only 5% of the cops in this country are bad, and that's more than enough to make someone worry, esp. when we do something some people either take the wrong way or just don't like.
All that aside, welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you, any LEO, or anyone else who feels the way you do here.

bohdi

imported post

Edited because Nitrovic saw youtube.

Nitrovic - I hope you watch all the events that are posted about events in VA. Burke Lake Parkwas a pretty interesting experience,a viewer can't fully appreciate what happened there, you don't see any video of the helicopter, lol. Though it was a nice interaction with the police, as most of them have been. You'd probably be surprised to learn that many of us actually write to the stations after a good interaction and commend the guys who respond for their professionalism, as well as get information on the bad ones.

Reactions like yours are reasons why the majority of us are now also armed with voice recorders, and the occasional video camera. If you'll note most of the video is unedited - (side note - I'll stop throwing inflamitory comments in my videos and just let the raw video run from now on, lol) - where as most of the video you see from an anti-gun rights perspective is edited heavily, and in some cases quite poorly. If you haven't noticed the media isn't exactly pro gun, so we've had to work the net to get the word out.

By the way, welcome to the board :D

nitrovic

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
nitrovic wrote:
longwatch wrote:

Agreed. I also expect Tony's to be "safer" for OC considering they are very pro police and pro military. They really are good people working there (i grew up in the area and know them well). Maybe they just got spooked with the whole situation. Thanks for invite, it really does seem like you have some good people here. I watched the youtube video for the New Hampshire OC people and I don't agree with their tactics. The one guy was yelling at the cop and straight up lying about what was going on. I thought this site was the same, I was wrong.
Here, I'm assuming that we all love the U.S. and I think that all but a small minority on this forum appreciate the police and everything they do. I love this country because it is free and the day that I am forced to bow to even simple requests by the police is the day that this country ceases to be free. We live in a land where "papers please" is a request we can confidently deny, for NOW.
I think the problem here is that you have a lot of good cops in your family so you rightly have a good impression of Police. The truth is that maybe only 5% of the cops in this country are bad, and that's more than enough to make someone worry, esp. when we do something some people either take the wrong way or just don't like.
All that aside, welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you, any LEO, or anyone else who feels the way you do here.
I agree, well said.

nitrovic

imported post

bohdi wrote:

Nitrovic - I hope you watch all the events that are posted about events in VA. Fair Lakes was a pretty interesting experience,a viewer can't fully appreciate what happened there, you don't see any video of the helicopter, lol. Though it was a nice interaction with the police, as most of them have been. You'd probably be surprised to learn that many of us actually write to the stations after a good interaction and commend the guys who respond for their professionalism, as well as get information on the bad ones.

Reactions like yours are reasons why the majority of us are now also armed with voice recorders, and the occasional video camera. If you'll note most of the video is unedited - (side note - I'll stop throwing inflamitory comments in my videos and just let the raw video run from now on, lol) - where as most of the video you see from an anti-gun rights perspective is edited heavily, and in some cases quite poorly. If you haven't noticed the media isn't exactly pro gun, so we've had to work the net to get the word out.

nitrovic

imported post

bohdi wrote:

Nitrovic - I hope you watch all the events that are posted about events in VA. Fair Lakes was a pretty interesting experience,a viewer can't fully appreciate what happened there, you don't see any video of the helicopter, lol. Though it was a nice interaction with the police, as most of them have been. You'd probably be surprised to learn that many of us actually write to the stations after a good interaction and commend the guys who respond for their professionalism, as well as get information on the bad ones.

mlands

imported post

I was one of the Tony's 7 and we all met up to just have a quiet evening at a low profile place to discuss lobbying in Richmond. Most of us that were there are VCDL members and gun permit holders. Nobody ever dreamed that we would be facing city cops who were so ignorant of gun laws, smug and cocky. I was sitting there with the other six OCDC members thinking "Oh crap! These cops do not know the law and are just winging it." I just froze in my seat because at that point I was afraid that if I moved that ignorant cop might say I was brandishing because they were trying to impress each other. Any movement and we would might get the old Rodney King treatment. To say the least they were not like Fairfax County or Prince William County Police who often at the most just give a look at the holstered gun but at least know what the law is. The MCPD "internal investigation" was a big joke. The chief just wanted the whole messy thing to just go away fast and he knew his officers were wrong but wanted to save face. I work with LEO's everyday so don't say I am anti-cop.