• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do

bohdi

imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/03/06/nj.school.plot/index.html

This is an interesting story. On one hand the dad probaby feels (or was maybe pressured) into turning over the guns because of his son's behavior. However if they had a safe and whether or not the kid had the combo, I don't know that there is a need to turn over the weapons. My kids don't know the combo, I am not likely to turn over the weapons - sure it might look good from a PR point of view, but if the danger is already limited, what's the point? Is the DA going to go harder on the kid for not cooperating when the parents haven't really done anything wrong other than maybe not pay as close attention to their kid as they should have been?

LEO 229

imported post

I would find a friend to take them first that had a safe or go to Dick's sporting goods and buy one.

Not turning in my guns. :D

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

An alleged plot hatched by a high school student to murder his classmates and teachers in New Jersey was foiled early this week, police told CNN Thursday.

A 17-year-old male from Belvidere, New Jersey, near the Pennsylvania state line, was taken into custody Monday after school administrators heard about the plan from worried students and contacted local police Sunday.
The student told classmates about a hit list he had, said Belvidere Police Chief Kent Sweigert, but in interviews with authorities the teen denied the allegation.
The Belvidere High School student also told authorities he wanted to serve in the U.S. military in Iraq, the police chief said.
"'I love combat and I love to kill,'" Sweigert quoted the young man as saying.
The student is currently undergoing a psychiatric evaluation, the police chief said.
According to New Jersey State Police Lt. Gerald Lewis, the plot had developed to the point that the student had begun surveying school security and mapping routes to escape after the attack.
Sweigert said the school psychologist reported the student had behavioral problems and had recently undergone a sudden change in behavior, changing his plans to attend a community college and wearing military-style fatigues with a short haircut.
He also began carrying books about the military and had recently contacted the National Guard, Sweigert said.
A National Guardsman who the student had been spending time with on the weekends, 22-year-old James Schipps, is in custody in connection with the case and faces charges on three counts including "making terroristic threats" and "hindering apprehension," Lewis told CNN.
Authorities confiscated the student's notebooks and magazines, and found "something serious" in the contents, Sweigert said without providing details. However, he added, what the student had written is not illegal.
"As far as I'm concerned he's still a major threat," the police chief said.
The young man's father voluntarily turned over to police several legally registered weapons in the family's home, Sweigert said, and allowed police to take the 17-year-old out of school because of concern he could be a risk to himself and others.
The New Jersey state police, FBI and the joint Terrorism Task Force are also participating in the investigation, authorities said

bohdi

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I would find a friend to take them first that had a safe or go to Dick's sporting goods and buy one.

I'll actually agree with you there, I think that's a better alternative.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Absolutely! I would not voluntarily surrender my firearms for any reason.

Tomahawk

imported post

The young man's father voluntarily turned over to police several legally registered weapons in the family's home, Sweigert said, and allowed police to take the 17-year-old out of school because of concern he could be a risk to himself and others.
The New Jersey state police, FBI and the joint Terrorism Task Force are also participating in the investigation, authorities said

Registered guns. He couldn't hide them, anyway, and with the FBI and NJSP involved, I'm sure lot's of "persuasion" was being applied to him. This is New Jersey, anyway, so he's considered some kind of psycho just for owning guns in the first place.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Registered guns. He couldn't hide them, anyway, and with the FBI and NJSP involved, I'm sure lot's of "persuasion" was being applied to him. This is New Jersey, anyway, so he's considered some kind of psycho just for owning guns in the first place.
Good point Tomahawk. Based on that I would like to add to my above statement:

I also would not voluntarily live in New Jersey for any reason.

imperialism2024

imported post

When I heard this story on the news, I was wondering how guilty the student is of anything criminal. From first-hand experience that I'd rather not get into, I'm confident that an interest in the military (or guns in general) is glorious fodder for the rumor mill of schools with a high percentage of sh**ple-children (lamble?). I'm not saying the kid is innocent, but the details in the story seem to consist entirely of hearsay.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Code:
[font="georgia"]
[quote]"'I love combat and I love to kill,'" Sweigert quoted the young man as saying.[/quote]

Why does this remind me of: 

"... And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill.  Kill.  I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL."  And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL."  And the seargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy.""[/font]

Tomahawk

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Code:
[font="georgia"]
[quote]"'I love combat and I love to kill,'" Sweigert quoted the young man as saying.[/quote]

"... And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the seargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
Alice's Restaurant by Woody Guthrie? Haven't heard that on the radio in at least 10 years.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Code:
[font="georgia"]

"... And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the seargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
Alice's Restaurant by Woody Guthrie? Haven't heard that on the radio in at least 10 years.
What the heck happened to my formatting???

Anyway, sometimes I throw the CD in and play it in my office. It is doubly pleasurable as I enjoy the song (although not all the sentiments therein expressed) and it annoys the girls in the office which is payback for the hours of Kelly Clarkson and Bon Jovi to which I am subjected. I figured someone here would get the reference ;)

AbNo

imported post

Authorities confiscated the student's notebooks and magazines, and found "something serious" in the contents, Sweigert said without providing details. However, he added, what the student had written is not illegal.

Am I the only one bothered by this? The fact you can write something that is illegal?

(in before "what about death threats?", etc.)

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

AbNo wrote:

Am I the only one bothered by this? The fact you can write something that is illegal?

Kind'a like gun law, what is not illegal is legal - except for reasonable infringing regulations.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Kind'a like gun law, what is not illegal is legal - except for reasonable infringing regulations.
But isn't that really the problem now? The government behaves in a manner that if the law or constitution doesn't say it's illegal then it is legal for them whereas their approach to the citizenry is that if there is not a statute approving it, then it is illegal and they'll figure out a way to use some other law to punish you.