• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student Kills Self in Front of 150 Classmates at Alabama High School

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335673,00.html
Jajuan Holmes, 18, fatally shot himself about 10 a.m. at Davidson High School, police Chief Phillip Garrett said. He described the shooting as an isolated incident and said no one else was injured. Holmes was charged a few weeks ago in a Dairy Queen robbery, which may have been a factor leading to the shooting, Garrett said. But he said the teen's death remained under investigation. He said there had been no indication that Holmes might be suicidal. Chelsea Smith, a fourth-year student, said she was seated in the gym bleachers when Holmes appeared at the top of the bleachers and walked down to the center of the gym court. "He had a gun to his head," she said. Smith said a coach walked toward Holmes, who pointed the gun at the coach until the coach retreated. She said Holmes then fired into the ceiling and shot himself. Grief counselors were sent to the school, said Nancy Pierce, a spokeswoman for the Mobile County school system. She said classes would resume Friday.
http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=39382&cat=15

Jajuan Holmes, Alabama HS Student Who Committed Suicide, Had Checkered Past
Atlanta, GA 3/06/2008 07:41 PM GMT (FINDITT)

Jajuan Holmes, the student who committed suicide in front of his fellow classmates in Mobile, AL on Thursday morning, had previous charges against him. Holmes entered his Davidson High School gymnasium on Thursday morning and fired a shot into the building’s ceiling. After getting the attention of his classmates, Holmes then turned the gun on himself, firing a single shot into his head. It is estimated that 150 students witnessed the shooting. Holmes was recently taken into police custody on Feb. 12 and charged with three counts of first-degree robbery. The first charge was in connection with a robbery of a Dairy Queen restaurant in Mobile on Feb. 10. He and accomplice Timothy Gerald Hall, Jr. were taken into custody. Holmes's additional charges stem from two separate armed robberies of businesses in the downtown area that occurred earlier that day. All of the robberies occurred during Mobile's Mardi Gras celebration. Hall, the son of a Mobile municipal judge, was named this year's Mobile Area Mardi Gras Association's Juvenile Court King prior to the robberies.

and Probably most important:

http://www.nbc15online.com/news/loc...=a0e2681b-d0f8-467f-ba73-01bc5639a4e9&rss=217

(Mobile, Ala.) March 6 --So many are asking, who was this young man and why would he commit suicide in such a public way? NBC15's Andrea Ramey has learned JaJuan Holmes had threatened suicide before.

Holmes threatened to kill himself Wednesday night at a home not too far from Davidson High School. Police say he did fire a shot in the air, but say Holmes was not at the house when they arrived, and they could not locate him. Police say he had been suspended from school but was in the Davidson High School gym on Thursday morning.

Investigators say there were other things in his life that weren't going right, and his troubled past may have lead to Thursday's tragedy.

Ninth graders Brittany and Yaniga can't fight back the tears as they recalled what they saw on Thursday morning. "It just came out of no where," said Brittany Hale.

"He just went up to the gym floor with a gun up to his head," said Yaniga Tucker.

An 11th grader, who did not want to be identified, said she was sitting behind JaJuan moments before he pulled the trigger. She says he was arguing with his girlfriend. "This is all I heard him say, 'I'll kill myself before I'll kill you.' And she said 'You don't need to do nothing stupid. You're going to regret this.'

" Holmes had a troubled past. Last month, police arrested him for allegedly robbing a Dairy Queen along with two other businesses in the downtown area.

Daniel McBride says he was friends with JaJuan and tried to talk to him about his troubles. "He seemed like he was kind of hiding something, and I just thought I'd let him come out on his own. And I came back to talk to him and he was like 'No man, I'm cool'. Obviously he wasn't," said McBride.

Mobile County District Attorney John Tyson Jr. says JaJuan floated from home to home. NBC15 News went to the address he had on his school record. A neighbor there told us, JaJuan didn't stay there that often.
OK, seems like what has become a run of the mill story. What caught my eye is the bolded parts about his being arrested for 3 count 'em, 3 counts of first-degree robbery. AND he was suspended from school the day before. AND he fired shots in the city the night before and threatened suicide. Why the hell was this guy on the street? This is not a gun problem.

xd.40

imported post

Well, I'm sure all of us here are glad that he didn't hurt anybody else, other than himself. He took care of the problem, I guess. Now, will his parents sue the city for not taking enough precautions? That's what I see next...

xd.40

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I agree that it's not a gun problem but, given the current penchant for disarming the politically incorrect and this adolescent 'mental', how in Hades did he still have guns?
+1

LEO 229

imported post

Agreed.... not a gun problem. The kid had other issues and used the gun like a tool.

My question.... how and where did he get the gun?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I agree that it's not a gun problem but, given the current penchant for disarming the politically incorrect and this adolescent 'mental', how in Hades did he still have guns?
I'm with you guys on this. It makes no sense to me at all which is the only reason I posted the story.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

xd.40 wrote:
How long until the media & the brady bunch start calling for even MORE gun control?
The phrasing of the question implies that they ever, for even a moment, stop doing so. They are vested in denying our constitutional rights at every turn.

imperialism2024

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

My unfounded suspicion is that they were black-market or acquired in some other way that no gun control law could possibly stop... otherwise the MSM and the Brady campaign would be all over the gun store that sold him a gun, or the parents who left the gun-safe and triple-trigger locks unlocked, etc...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Y'all understand that by asking the question, "How did he get/have/retain a gun?" you are validating the anti-s' premise that it can somehow be prevented by just passing another law.

imperialism2024

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Y'all understand that by asking the question, "How did he get/have/retain a gun?" you are validating the anti-s' premise that it can somehow be prevented by just passing another law.

I think it's moreso trying to figure out which illegitimate channel (and which consequently ineffective gun law) he used to get a gun to do this. At least that's what I'm curious about... Unfortunately, when the beloved gun control laws fail, no one ever wants to report the failure.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Citizen wrote:

I think it's moreso trying to figure out which illegitimate channel (and which consequently ineffective gun law) he used to get a gun to do this. At least that's what I'm curious about... Unfortunately, when the beloved gun control laws fail, no one ever wants to report the failure.
+1 Absolutely. This is a person who had shown himself to be a threat to himself and others and who was recently in police custody and apparently ajudicated to be back on the street. Given that the antis constantly want more laws, I'm curious as to where the tens of thousands of laws we already have on the books failed to keep a gun out of the hands of an obvious public threat and let that obvious threat back on the street after being in custody.

AbNo

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
My question.... how and where did he get the gun?

Proably by bypassing legal measures.

It's like I've said before, in the first half-year I was living on I-81, I knew more places to get a weapon (or other contraband) illegally than I did legal places.

Now that I've kicked a few people out of my life (and explored town a little better), I know 6 places to load up. :D

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
No... it should invoke a though process in all of us.... Thiskid got a gun and he was not supposed to have one. How did he do it???

So unless he bought it from someone on the street (Something we have little control over).... What can be done to help prevent kids or criminalsfrom "stealing" guns from others in the future?

If the people will nottake action to beresponsible with their firearms what needs to happen? Wait... Citizen wants them to be left alone. It is NOT a problemand nothing needs to happen. The people have the right to leave their gunsout to be stolen and then used in crimes and maybe even sold to kids on the street.

A locked up gun while your not at home is a useless gun.. right??

http://www.wrd.state.or.us/DHS/ph/safekids/firearmmyths.shtml

I am a strong supporter for keeping firearms in a secure container. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to a house for an alarm and found the door open only to find a boat load of guns out in plain view!!!!!

Not locked up or even hidden!!!! A burglar can take them easily and maybe use them against me as I enter the house.

So... I am curious how did this kid get a gun....

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
No... it should invoke a though process in all of us.... Thiskid got a gun and he was not supposed to have one. How did he do it???

So unless he bought it from someone on the street (Something we have little control over).... What can be done to help prevent kids or criminalsfrom "stealing" guns from others in the future?

If the people will nottake action to beresponsible with their firearms what needs to happen? Wait... Citizen wants them to be left alone. It is NOT a problemand nothing needs to happen. The people have the right to leave their gunsout to be stolen and then used in crimes and maybe even sold to kids on the street.

A locked up gun while your not at home is a useless gun.. right??

http://www.wrd.state.or.us/DHS/ph/safekids/firearmmyths.shtml

I am a strong supporter for keeping firearms in a secure container. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to a house for an alarm and found the door open only to find a boat load of guns out in plain view!!!!!

Not locked up or even hidden!!!! A burglar can take them easily and maybe use them against me as I enter the house.

So... I am curious how did this kid get a gun....
Well, it really is a two part question and all of it needs to be asked together: It is not just "how did this kid get a gun?" It is how did this kid, who had proven himself to be a criminal and a threat to others (and later himself) get out of police custody and back on the street and THEN once there how did he obtain a gun.

hsmith

imported post

Why was he out runinng around????

" Holmes had a troubled past. Last month, police arrested him for allegedly robbing a Dairy Queen along with two other businesses in the downtown area.

To me, it looks like he should have been waiting trial? We don't jail criminals, yet disarm those that obey the law.