• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

?'s about CPL process..

phixion

imported post

I know this is an site dedicated to open carry but I have a few questions about the process of getting my license for concealed carry.

What is the process?

My class isn't until April but can I go ahead and fill out whatever paperwork is necessary to get the ball rolling? I don't want to wait at least 6 weeks after my class to start carrying concealed.

I've read on other forums that when filling out the necessary paperwork down at City Hall, you don't have to fill in your SSN or something to that affect (not exactly sure what it was, I can't find the post again. Can skip this question if need be)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

fairfax1

imported post

Assuming your in VA, it is a CHP. The process if fairly simple.

Here is the application form is PDF that you can fill out and print:
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/downloads/SP-248_revised_07-1-2006.pdf

You then submit this form to the circuit court (sometimes the police dept, depending on which city/county you live in). Look at your local government's website to see exactly where to submit your application.

The court has 45 days to approve your application is issue the permit or tell you why not. VA is shall issue. You don't have to provide your SSN.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I'm thinking that unless all your papers are in order you can not start the process, which means having your proof of training in your application package.
However, you may already have such and not know it.
See 18.2-308 Section G
G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:
1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;
4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;
6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;
7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;
8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or
9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.
A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.