• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Morganton / Hickory

ncwabbit

nawl, dahlin, tis a small state so no need to intro himself as he is the local OC expert and we're just glad he was released yesterday from prison for OC'g in morganton but hit warnt his fault ...
(end sarcasm)

wabbit

boice1971

Not from the area but with only 3 posts in 4 years, you might want to introduce yourself.

Didn't see an "Introduce Yourself" sub-forum; but I'm a 26 year old married father of 3, I'm the QC Manager at an ASME pressure vessel manufacturer, I CC 99% of the time due to the stigma of uninformed and/or uneducated individuals causing drama when the see a "man with a gun"

papa bear

BOICE, it just happens i was there to day (in hickory) at the gun show working with the GRNC. BTW, if you are not a member you need to JOIN. i carry op 99.9% of the time i have never had a problem with anybody in the area. one of the officer from the Hickory LE. was very nice and we talked for a good while. he assured me if he ever got a man with a gun call he would just check and make sure everything was OK. he said he thought people should carry, and as long as people wasn't causing a problem he had no problem. most of the LEOs there seemed to be friendly and courteous

i believe we have people on the city commissioners that are very firearm friendly. there is one in paticuler that is pro gun and a life member of the NRA

if i am not mistaking, the city of Hickory follows the state laws on the carry in the parks

now any idiot can call in MWG, and you might get harassed (maybe not intentionally), but don't sweat it as long as you are in the right and you keep your head everything will be fine

chiefjason

Been OC'ing a few years around Hickory with no problems. Occasionally in Morganton. However, for some reason I expect dealing with Morganton PD would be more unpleasant than dealing with Hickory PD. They seem to be a little over the top up there sometimes. I do know that Hickory has had some training on dealing with OC. So that's good. Overall, Hickory is a very gun friendly town. Also, I had to deal with NCHP after a car accident while OC'ing and not major issue there either. The list of places I've carried without incident in Hickory would be too long to even thing about posting.

papa bear, Hickory does allow CC in parks. They did not quite go so far as allowing OC. I can't remember for sure but I think they may have specifically restricted it. I was not too happy with that, but it's better than most places. We might have to put in some emails and see if that can be fixed since CC in parks has not been an issue.

TrailRunner

I've had no issues in Morganton myself while passing through from time to time to and from camping on family land, but then again I've only seen a few cops in gas stations and such where I wouldn't expect issues anyway. My takeaway from Morganton is that they are decent mountain folk who are used to seeing firearms in general. Asheville, now.. I'd expect issues there. Too many liberal arts majors and relocated Yankees.

papa bear

Hey CHIEF, that is the reason i said that they follow state law. yeah it disappoints me too. but maybe we get in the door, we can get changes made

if you guys over that way would like to have a meet and greet. i would be willing to come. only about an hour trip for me.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I OC a few times a year in Hickory/Catawba/Taylorsville area. Never had an issue.

Of course, an overweight white woman often accompanied by elderly parents and/or my mentally handicapped son sorta defuses any suspicions that I might be up to no good <grin>.

ncwabbit

milady, perhaps the facade has worked on the populace in NC but not those who might have insider info on ur personality and know u r always up to no good...:shocker:

wabbit

ps: nice to see your smile again!!

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
milady, perhaps the facade has worked on the populace in NC but not those who might have insider info on ur personality and know u r always up to no good...:shocker:

wabbit

ps: nice to see your smile again!!

Now, you know as well as I do it is often best not to reveal all the information one possesses!

xjamesx

LOL, dude I live in morganton and dont carry a weapon of any kind and have been stopped walking down the road/sidewalk or whats available 5 times. The last time I was rolled up on by 4 police at once 2 from each direction. And Im guessing the one in charge was the one speaking but soon as he started talking I yelled "WHAT" took two steps forward. He lost his voice reached for his gun and I shrugged my shoulders and gave him my meanest look. They quickly got back in thier vehicals and left.

But two times before that I said nothign at all and got arressted which was later dismissed.

My nephew has been stopped walking several times without being armed. but he always talks.
these are city cops though

The sherriff department is usualy pretty cool. Ive been in several fights and never arrested once eventhough
when i hit someone i never deny it. When they have shown up and questioned me on a fight i tell them exactly what happened and they usually agree with me.

Once I got in i got in a fight with a mexican. He stepped in my yard i told him to leave and he didnt. as i approched him he reached in his pocket and i got lucky and whatever he grabb he couldnt get out by the time i got to him when I hit him and broke two bones in my hand.(hardest i ever hit someone) right on his ear. a couple his buddies came to his aide and drug him away.someone called the police(not me) and I told them the pulled a knife eventhough i never actually seen what he had. I told them his hand came out an I seen something shiney that I thought was a knife. the next day I stopped for gas and a cop reconized me pulled up beside me and said we found that knife.(about ten officers had looked for it for about 10 minutes)
then he went on to say the guy was still in the hospital and I just shrugged my shoulder and said crazy world aint it. he said yes and left. never knew what they did to him. I didnt press any charges.

I think in reality morganton and surrounding has a huge number of cops Ive personaly dealt with 20-30 and havent met no where near all them it seems. I know one city cop who like to **** with me whos a ***** other then him all the others have been cool.

Once I was drinking in a bar. I was gamble at some pool(playign for beers) and I drank so many I had tunnel vision. I drank so much for the first time in my drinking career I said I had to many so instead of jumping in the drivers seat and driving home I jumped in the passenger seat and put the keys in the ingition turned the car on turned up the heat and went to sleep. Woke up at daylight(still tipsy) and thought **** it Ill drive home anyways. Walked around got in the drivers seat and proceeded to go home. As I pulled near the exit a city cop was sitting across the street watching me. I thought **** to late now to not go without seeming more suspicious so I to a left and the cop followed me about 3 miles before pulling me. As soon as she walked up to the car I placed my hand out the window and said ya Im drunk here arrest me. She was like whoawhoawhoa! She called for backup gave me a feild sobreity test and then went and talked to the other cops in private. Came back and said I think your drunk, you was driving good, then her back up drove off. She said go on home and sleep the rest of it off and dont let me see you out on the road for a while. This was nearly 10 years ago(btw) I said ty and drove on home. Its been a while since Ive seen her but we lost some power in the area a few weeks ago and she was out there directing traffic when the stoplight failed.

Im sorry I cant give you direct info on the additude if cops toward open carry, I hope this is helpful.
Everything post here is 100% true and happened to me firsthand.

Now for my exp with state troopers/ highway patrol... They are all 100% dickheads. But I wont go into them as they seem to migrate around it seems, the same one never stays in the area long from what I can tell. Ive probaly had 10 or so tickets from the highway patrol over the years.

Oh wait one more story. We seem to have some sort of detective squad that I had the pleasure to meet once. Well just one guy off of it. Anyways he came to my house and said I have a complaint. I rolled my eyes and said about what. He says your son said some inaproprate things to a girl down the street. I said really? Like what. He like I cant tell you. I asked then why bother coming over? He says the girls mom called in to complain. I said so. He says well I can arrest him. I said good then I can find out what was said. He then says Well I just wanted to ask you to keep him away from her. I said why? He said well he asked her out. I said REALLY? (as up till then I had fears my only son was gay and that my family name would be lost) I asked how old the girl was. The cop said the age. I said well they aint but one year difference in age and they are both minors. He then said well he said some other things as well and I could arrest him for it. I said do it and I promise tommarro front page of the papers going to say 14 year old boy arrested for asking 15 year old girl out. The mans face turns redder than an apple. Then I asked so what part of the girls family are you? The cop jumps in his car and peels out of my drive never to be seen again.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
How about a 4 year later bump?

Anybody have OC experience in the Morganton and/or Hickory areas?

I used to live in Nebo, NC, (a hole-in-the-wall) which is between Morganton and Marion and I never had any problems when I would OC. I was normally in Morganton everyday doing something and I was never accosted or bothered by anyone. The people in this area are good people, and they generally mind their own business and leave others alone.