• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Montana rejecting Real ID

Tomahawk

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/03/07/state/100st_080307_realid.txt

Although the clock is ticking for the state to comply with the stricter federal driver’s license standards, Gov. Brian Schweitzer says he is confident Montanans’ travel plans will not be disrupted.

The Department of Homeland Security has told states they have until March 31 to ask for an extension in complying with the federal Real ID law passed following the 2001 terror attacks. The agency has said residents in states that are not in compliance could face extra screenings at airports or be required to carry alternate identification, such as passports, after May.

Schweitzer said Thursday he is sure something will be worked out with Homeland Security that will not require Montana to run afoul of a state law opposing the federal Real ID law.

Schweitzer said he believes Homeland Security got ahead of itself in setting the March 31 deadline, which he says is not specified in any federal legislation.

‘‘They are working on some things, and Montana is working on some things, and it will be fine,’’ Schweitzer said.

He would not specify if that meant Montana would have to meet the deadline. South Carolina, Maine and New Hampshire also have yet to seek an extension. Schweitzer, who last year said, ‘‘No, nope, no way, hell no’’ to the federal plan, says Montanans will still be able to fly free of extra restrictions come May.

‘‘You can count on it. It’s going to happen,’’ Schweitzer said. ‘‘(Homeland Security officials) are a little obtuse in their threats.’’

Schweitzer said Montana and other states are having discussions with the agency. He said he is not sure what exactly will take place to ensure Montana does not get hit with sanctions.

‘‘The path to get there is uncertain, but the destination is clear,’’ he said.

Last year, the Montana Legislature passed a law, signed by Schweitzer, that prohibits the state from complying with the Real ID Act.

The Montana attorney general’s office is deciding whether that state law also bars Montana from simply asking for the extension, spokeswoman Judy Beck said.

The attorney general’s office told a legislative interim committee on Thursday that the result of not complying is unclear.

Beck said Attorney General Mike McGrath’s office is still looking over options, including the consequences Montana would face.

A legislative staffer on Thursday told the Legislative Finance Committee that lawmakers could make a recommendation to the attorney general on what they would like to see done. The panel took no action to do so.

Schweitzer has urged fellow governors to join him in opposing full implementation of a national identification card. He told the governors that compliance would be a ‘‘Faustian bargain,’’ a reference to making a pact with the devil.

The American Civil Liberties Union has said that Homeland Security will not adopt travel restrictions if states force the issue.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
Here in the POLICE STATE OF LOUISIANA, you will never, ever hear OUR governor talking this kind of talk. Everyone on this site should email the governor of Montana and thank him for taking that stance.
If I lived there I would be inclined to watch for a while and see what Bobby Jindal does. I think he may usher in a new direction for LA. Or maybe I just hope so.

Flintlock

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Schweitzer said Montana and other states are having discussions with the agency. He said he is not sure what exactly will take place to ensure Montana does not get hit with sanctions.

Oh my...

I wonder how large the successionist movement is in Montanathese days...

Tomahawk

imported post

The HSD is threatening to block Montanans from traveling on airlines if the state doesn't comply. I don't know where they get the constitutional authority to exist, let alone prevent citizens from freely traveling for lack of papers.

We're going to see just how the powers-that-be react to being challenged and called out in public. One way or the other, this is going to be interesting to watch, proving the Montana government doesn't cave.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I may very seriously move to Montana. This is awesome. And I would contribute to help defray costs of any sanctions. Could you imagine the FED's outrage when people start contributing their FED tax refund to Montana to help defray costs of the Fed's own sanctions?

Flintlock

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
The HSD is threatening to block Montanans from traveling on airlines if the state doesn't comply. I don't know where they get the constitutional authority to exist, let alone prevent citizens from freely traveling for lack of papers.

We're going to see just how the powers-that-be react to being challenged and called out in public. One way or the other, this is going to be interesting to watch, proving the Montana government doesn't cave.
That's one of the most frightening things I have read in a while.Violate the constitution by having unconstitutional agencies enforce unconstitutional rulesand then punish the peoplefurther when they don't comply.It's amazing how this administration has become so incredibly authoritarian and is so willing to diminish the freedoms of so many to "protect" us.

Papers comrade?

A countryman between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.
Benjamin Franklin

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

imperialism2024

imported post

BobCav wrote:
I may very seriously move to Montana. This is awesome. And I would contribute to help defray costs of any sanctions. Could you imagine the FED's outrage when people start contributing their FED tax refund to Montana to help defray costs of the Fed's own sanctions?

I'd consider it as well. Right now, my options are pretty much open as far as schooling goes, and I'm assuming the cost of living would be lower regardless of sanctions. Not to mention that it would be real easy to find large areas outdoors to go shooting...

Traffic flow would be better, as I believe they don't care much about speed limits, and I recall reading that they have fewer than 500 traffic lights in the state...

Maybe I'll have to take a drive out there when I take my two-three week vacation this summer... Unfortunately I'd have to make a mad dash through NE Illinois, but going around would add several hours to the drive...

hsmith

imported post

As great as they sound, the states are really only bucking this because the Fed isn't providing any funds to pay for the implementation. THAT is why the states are upset, they are footed the bill and don't know how to pay it.

imperialism2024

imported post

hsmith wrote:
As great as they sound, the states are really only bucking this because the Fed isn't providing any funds to pay for the implementation. THAT is why the states are upset, they are footed the bill and don't know how to pay it.

Well... we can hope, can't we? :?

VAopencarry

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Apparently you are not familiar with Montana's general attitude towards the federal government.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Yeah. Isn't there something about a Sheriff in open defiance of a Federal order or agent. I can't think of a keyword...at the moment...

Maybe this? http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/02/brady.bill/index.html

[size="+1"]"I just run my Brady background check forms from my fax machine to my shredder. I don't do them."[/size] [size="-1"]-- Sheriff Jay Printz
[/size][size="-1"]Ravalli County, Montana[/size]

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hsmith wrote:
I don't think that is true. Some states have been willing, or previous to RealID already passed laws, to require proof of citizenship and identity prior to getting a state ID or DL, but openly balk at the rest of the stuff the feds want. Montana's citizens are not the only ones who still love freedom and think that the feds have been overstepping for some time.

mmdkyoung123

Independence, and Kansas City, Missouri, USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Yeah. Isn't there something about a Sheriff in open defiance of a Federal order or agent. I can't think of a keyword...at the moment...

Maybe this? http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/02/brady.bill/index.html

[size=+1]"I just run my Brady background check forms from my fax machine to my shredder. I don't do them."[/size] [size=-1]-- Sheriff Jay Printz
[/size][size=-1]Ravalli County, Montana[/size]
:celebrateThats great. from my faax machine to my shredder. ROFL just awesome.:lol: