• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to open carry at a rest stop?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I did the search feature and came up with nothing.

Is it legal to open carry at a rest stop?

I dunno.

Lets do a quick re-write.

"Are there any state or federal prohibitions on OC at an Interstate rest stop.?"

VAopencarry

imported post

Citizen wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
I did the search feature and came up with nothing.

Is it legal to open carry at a rest stop?

I dunno.

Lets do a quick re-write.

"Are there any state or federal prohibitions on OC at an Interstate rest stop.?"
My neighbor's cousin is a deputy in Kalabam county and he said it's illegal according to the Travelers Restroom Authority.

mpg9999

imported post

You know I had this exact same question as I was driving back down to Blacksburg. I'd be interested in getting a definitive answer.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't seen a sign yet, and Troopers haven't said anything to me. I've been doing it back and forth to Norfolk about 8 times in the last year.
:shock:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rest Stops are state property, but there is no restriction I can find in either the Code of Virginia or the Administrative Regulations indicating any restriction on firearms at rest stops. Based on that, my understanding (IANAL and did not stay at Holiday Inn Express last night) is that carry rules are the same as any other non-restricted location.

As open carry in Virginia is NOTa privelege grantedby statute, while CCW is, there should not be any problem OC-ing at a rest stop in Virginia. Nor, if you have your CHP, should there be any problem CCW-ing.

Why do folks spend so much time dreaming up these types of questions?

stay safe.

skidmark

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now that I think of it, I'm sure the good folks at VCDL would have listed them as a prohibited place.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mpg9999 wrote:
You know I had this exact same question as I was driving back down to Blacksburg. I'd be interested in getting a definitive answer.

Looks like I'm not the only one Skidmark. Seems to be a little confusion about it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
skidmark wrote:
Why do folks spend so much time dreaming up these types of questions?

Being an open carry newbie I want to know the law if I am challenged. That's why.
You asked a perfectly ligitimate question and have every expectation to receive a cordial answer.

Come on fellow Virginians. We're Southerners. That means we are also civil and respectful.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, it is illegal to open carry in a state park. Is it that much of a stretch to think that could carry over at a rest stop? Also, looks like I'm not the only one that didn't know. I thought I found the perfect media to find out.

Of all the places on the world wide web to run into an internet tough guy I would have never dreamed that I would run into one here.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
skidmark wrote:
You asked a perfectly ligitimate question and have every expectation to receive a cordial answer.
I also used the search feature before I put the post out and put a disclaimer on the original post. Thank you

Tomahawk

imported post

I can't find the story, I think it was in a VA Alert a couple of years ago, but I thought there was a guy who got told by a security guard at a rest stop that he couldn't carry there. He won that battle, hands down, IIRC. Wish I could rmember more so I'd know what to search for.