• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Press 'ignore' terrorist stopped by armed student

thnycav

imported post

No they are not the same, this was in Israel and the man in question was 40 and a member of the reserves of the IDF. They are allowed to be armed at all times and they are also highly trained.I have spent some time in Israel.

vt357

imported post

thnycav wrote:
No they are not the same, this was in Israel and the man in question was 40 and a member of the reserves of the IDF. They are allowed to be armed at all times and they are also highly trained.I have spent some time in Israel.
It is the same. Not all college students are right out of highschool. Andrew Dysart, a spokesman for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, is about 25 and is a former Marine. I would consider him to be highly trained, yet he cannot carry at his school under threat of expulsion.

Marco

imported post

No they are not the same.
This was in Israel, the man was 40 and a member of the IDF.
They are armed and highly trained.
It is the same. Not all college students are right out of highschool.

vt357: nailed it.

In most if not allcases you have to be 21 yrs old to have a CCW/CHP, so no they aren't kids/children.

Many of our service people that have seen/been in combat and served proudly are now college students/employee's.

EDIT:

typo

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:
That dog don't hunt.

In MO the right to carry on campus is also denied. Here the age to obtain a CCW is the oldest in the country being 23. That means that the vast majority of the resident undergraduate student body would be too young to carry. Those who will be of age in MO are going to mostly be either non-traditional/returning adult students or students who are taking less than a full class load because of other obligations, such as a family and/or full time employment. Both of those groups have been shown in research of various aspects of campus life to be more responsible than the average traditional college student. If the argument to not allow carry on campus was in any way, shape or form actually related to the age to CCW, then MO would have been the first to allow carry on all campuses but only with a valid MO CCW. If it were a training question, then required traning guidelines would have been drawn up and offered.

There are few places one can find more sheep, cowards and hypocrites than among an American university faculty or administration, one of those few places being the United States Congress.

Minimum age to obtain concealed carry permit by state from http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/CCWFAQApp.pdf
(Anyone who has any interest in concealed carry needs to have http://www.handgunlaw.us bookmarked. It is an excellent reference.)

USA
AL 18
AK 21
AZ 21
AR 21
CA 18
CO 21
CT 21
DE 18
DC 21
FL 21
GA 21
HI 21
ID 21
IL N/A
IN 18
IA 18
KS 21
KY 21
LA 21
ME 18
MD 18
MA 21
MI 21
MN 21
MS 21
MO 23
MT 18
NE 21
NV 21
NH 18
NJ 21
NM 21
NY 21
NYC 21
NC 21
ND 18
OH 21
OK 21
OR 21
PA 21
RI 21
SC 21
SD 18
TN 21
TX 21
UT 21
VT 18
VA 21
WA 21
WV 21
WI N/A
WY 18

thnycav

imported post

No the problem with the Universities as well as the lawmakers is they think if they can pass a law or make a regulation prohibiting something that the problem will go away. They treat the symptom not the problem.

I was just pointing out that in Israel most are armed and are members of the IDF. It is the training that is needed not just target training but urban warfare and situation training. I do have confidence that a vet would have such training and ability . Just having a permit for a concealed weapon does not give you the skills you need. If I was going to defend a school or building from such a treat with the training level of the students and facility I would consider more than just handguns. There is many non lethal devices on the market that will render the BG nonoperational without the need for that much skill. There are stun grenades and they are also working with sound that will case them to drop in their tracks and be easily subdued. Not as glamorous as a firefight but will do the job.

Marco

imported post

thnycav wrote:
No the problem with the Universities as well as the lawmakers is they think if they can pass a law or make a regulation prohibiting something that the problem will go away. They treat the symptom not the problem.

I was just pointing out that in Israel most are armed and are members of the IDF. It is the training that is needed not just target training but urban warfare and situation training. I do have confidence that a vet would have such training and ability . Just having a permit for a concealed weapon does not give you the skills you need. If I was going to defend a school or building from such a threat with the training level of the students and facility I would consider more than just handguns. There is many non lethal devices on the market that will render the BG nonoperational without the need for that much skill. There are stun grenades and they are also working with sound that will case them to drop in their tracks and be easily subdued. Not as glamorous as a firefight but will do the job.
QFT.
I'm confused.
Are you suggesting that those with no formal firearms training (CQB or combat experience) give up carrying firearms and choose a LLD?
LLD or NLD as you called themdo have a place and can be useful but they don't always perform up to the neededstandard.

While some may lack the experience that doesn't mean they will not be up for the task.
Thereis alwaysthe first time for everyone even our CQB guru's.

I would boldly state that not everyone that won a GUN fight had been in one prior.
Also not all firearms trainers have CQB/combat experience other than training.
(I will not post names)
While I'll never condemn someone for seeking out training.
I would never suggest those that don't disarm.

People shouldknowtheir limitations.

Please don't awesome I'm attacking you, because that is not my intent.

Edit:
Typo's

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thnycav wrote:

I was just pointing out that in Israel most are armed and are members of the IDF. It is the training that is needed not just target training but urban warfare and situation training. I do have confidence that a vet would have such training and ability . Just having a permit for a concealed weapon does not give you the skills you need. If I was going to defend a school or building from such a treat with the training level of the students and facility I would consider more than just handguns. There is many non lethal devices on the market that will render the BG nonoperational without the need for that much skill. There are stun grenades and they are also working with sound that will case them to drop in their tracks and be easily subdued. Not as glamorous as a firefight but will do the job.
I understand your point, but I think it is fallacious. If the schools were being attacked by trained commandos/terrorists as does happen in Israel, I would agree with you to a much greater extent.

In the US, most of the situations to date are an armed nutcase against corralled, unarmed victims. These guys consistently shoot other people until faced with imminent resistence and then commit suicide. This isn't a case of true urban warfare.

-There will be usually 1, sometimes 2 shooters and the goal of the armed student is to either end the threat if possible, if not buy time to get out.

-What we have seen lately is that these murderers tend to be systematic. They are more executioners than anything. They go room to room, person to person.

-They are not typically highly skilled shooters, but rather minimally trained shooters with limited range time who, when highly effective, are using more execution type shooting against cowering or lined up humans.

This isn't about "defend[ing] a school or building from such a treat [sic]". This is about trying to save your own sorry a$$ and buy some time for some of your classmates to escape too, thereby saving lives. I think you have hit upon the misconception though that the faculty, administrators and politicians have and probably some (too many?) on the pro-carry side have too. This is not about getting into a shoot out, being Wyatt Earp and taking out the bad guy. If you have the angle to take the shot and can take out the BG great! If not, get him/her to put their head down long enough to get out of Dodge. I think that 2-3 students in a large class putting rounds anywhere close to the BG is going to distract the BG from systematically executing classmates. No special urban combat ops training required to shoot at a murderous douchebag standing in front of your classroom and executing your professor. I will 100% guarantee that everyone in that class is more vulnerable and has higher odds of being wounded or killed if there are 0 students carrying than if there is at least 1 student carrying in class.

-Edited for spelling error.

t3rmin

imported post

Israel has an exemption to compulsory military service for those in full-time religious studies. The hero in this story was a student at a seminary. Unless somebody has additional information, I don't think we can assume this person had any military training. Could be just an "average Joe' saving lives with a gun.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

t3rmin wrote:
Israel has an exemption to compulsory military service for those in full-time religious studies. The hero in this story was a student at a seminary. Unless somebody has additional information, I don't think we can assume this person had any military training. Could be just an "average Joe' saving lives with a gun.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article3499735.ece

According to that story he is a reservist.

Lthrnck

imported post

Now see even we can't get the facts straight...

Didn't the article by Alan G. state that the student put two rounds into the terrorist head and then a member of the Reserves also shot him?

Neplusultra

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:

Didn't the article by Alan G. state that the student put two rounds into the terrorist head and then a member of the Reserves also shot him?
That'd be some incredible shooting IMO. Would you actually be able to get TWO rounds into the head of a standing person? First shot probably pretty easy, second one though?

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:

That'd be some incredible shooting IMO. Would you actually be able to get TWO rounds into the head of a standing person? First shot probably pretty easy, second one though?
Jerry Miculek put 8 rounds into a single target with a revolver in 1.0 seconds. I imagine he could get two in there before the head moved very far...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og9ccsb1v6o&feature=related

t3rmin

imported post

Sounds like he was laying down taking careful aim. Nice shooting, nonetheless.

rchjr

imported post

After checking the news feeds from isreal, I saw that according to govt sources the shooter was first shot by the IDF reservist who responded from home to the sounds of gunfire and shot the gunman putting him down but not killing him. Another armed student also responded to the gunshots and found the shooter still alive and finished the job. The students statement and the govt's differ on who shot the gunman first. Who knows. At least the gunman got justice served. I couldn't get all the links, it took a pretty length of time to track down the news feeds out of isreal.