Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from AZ to WA

Post imported post

Hello all,

As this is my first post on this forum I am interested in learning about the concealed/open carry laws in WA. I currently posess an AZ concealed carry card but I am looking for someplace where I can learn about WA. Any information on this subject would be great! Thanks

Post imported post

Check here. Many documents posted that will answer your general questions. When you have specific issues you need addressed, most anyone on here will be happy to answer them for you.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/5335.html

Where in Washington will you be moving to?

CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Sorry, double tap.... Hate when that happens.

CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Washington is pretty lax about it's laws. Open carrying is legal but there are certain places that are restricted. Other than that it is worth while to note that you needa CWP to carry a firearm in your car loaded. All of this can be viewed from the main page.I would also suggest reading up on theRCW's relating to firearms. A copy would also be given to you when you get a CWP which is definitely recommended. You will need to be a resident for more than30 days,if irecall correctly. A valid Washington State drivers license is needed as well. Hope this gives you a good idea on what to expect.

Post imported post

AZ is also an open carry state but more people are starting to frown on it when they see it. In fact, most ccw instructors are now saying its better not to open carry. But my wife and I are planning on moving this October and where we haven't really made up our minds. We are both interested in Tacoma, Lacy, and Olympia but we are also hearing a lot of bad stories about Tacoma people are saying that they have a high crime rate and a lot of street gangs?

Post imported post

What type work will you be doing, what are your recreational activities?

These can have some minor impact on your location. All in all either of those places would be good, but they also have an area, that is not the best, as most cities do.

welcome in advance.

Jim

State Researcher

Post imported post

Welcome!

Tacoma, Lacey and Oly are all pretty nice towns IMHO. Of course I am somewhat biased about the last two. Tacoma, like any larger town has it's good and bad points. I think T-town gets a lot of bad rap from Seattle... Of course it smells funny too :P

You couldn't go wrong with any of the three choices.

You can get a Washington CPL even if you do not have residency yet. They may wait up to 90 days to issue it to you, as opposed to 30.

Post imported post

Here is a good quick reference to some basic OC stuff.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...138496#p138496

Post imported post

You can also look over at http://nwcdl.org/forum

There is a downloads section that has most of the documents for carrying in Wa.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Interstate 5, particularly in the south sound lately, is becoming nightmarish...on Firdays especially. Asthe south end is still "affordable", this situation will only get worse. Something to consider when choosing work/live locales.
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
    a troublesome servant and a fearful master.” - George Washington

Post imported post

DYE wrote:
    AZ is also an open carry state but more people are starting to frown on it when they see it. In fact, most ccw instructors are now saying its better not to open carry. But my wife and I are planning on moving this October and where we haven't really made up our minds. We are both interested in Tacoma, Lacy, and Olympia but we are also hearing a lot of bad stories about Tacoma people are saying that they have a high crime rate and a lot of street gangs?
    Of course the CCW instructors don't want open carry, then you won't attend their class. But that doesn't mean everyone frowns on it. A snow bird buddy of mine thinks it's great. But then he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it is legal here.

Post imported post

Moving from AZ to WA.

WHY?? Don't you know it rains 400 days a year here and you can't own Full auto's...

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    DYE wrote:
    Of course the CCW instructors don't want open carry, then you won't attend their class. But that doesn't mean everyone frowns on it. A snow bird buddy of mine thinks it's great. But then he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it is legal here.
    Easy way to fix that Bear... show him all the pics we have of folks up here OC'ing! And show him the "uneventful OC" posts.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    DYE wrote:
    Easy way to fix that Bear... show him all the pics we have of folks up here OC'ing! And show him the "uneventful OC" posts.
    He sold his house on the lake and bought a place over near the prison at Walla Walla on the dry side. I only see him once a year now. He makes me look meek and mild when it comes to stubborn.

State Researcher

Post imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
    He sold his house on the lake and bought a place over near the prison at Walla Walla on the dry side. I only see him once a year now. He makes me look meek and mild when it comes to stubborn.
    You're not stubborn. You're just opitions challenged. :P

Post imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    You're not stubborn. You're just opitions challenged. :P
    TOLERANCE is a virtue possessed by those with no conviction...

State Researcher

Post imported post

Why tolerence is a wonderful thing why just look at ... ummm or how about.... urgh... then there is always.... ah crud. Screw it.

Post imported post

If OC is your preferred mode of carry, then you're taking a step backward by moving out of AZ. Next to VA, AZ is perhaps the nation's most OC friendly state. Also, in AZ, you can OC anything that is legal to own, including rifles, shotguns, Class III and NFA weapons, as well as knives and AOWs; no other state, including VA, is quite this liberal in what people are allowed to OC.

As for CC, I would say that the edge goes to WA. There, no training is required for a permit, and WA was a Castle Doctrine state (at least in case law, if not statutorally) long before FL and most other states were. As for OC without a permit, it is allowed only on foot, and not all parts of the state are OC friendly, unlike AZ.

Hope this helps.

State Researcher

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    ...and not all parts of the state are OC friendly, unlike AZ.
    We're workin' on it. We're workin' on it.

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    If OC is your preferred mode of carry, then you're taking a step backward by moving out of AZ. Next to VA, AZ is perhaps the nation's most OC friendly state. Also, in AZ, you can OC anything that is legal to own, including rifles, shotguns, Class III and NFA weapons, as well as knives and AOWs; no other state, including VA, is quite this liberal in what people are allowed to OC.

As for CC, I would say that the edge goes to WA. There, no training is required for a permit, and WA was a Castle Doctrine state (at least in case law, if not statutorally) long before FL and most other states were. As for OC without a permit, it is allowed only on foot, and not all parts of the state are OC friendly, unlike AZ.

Hope this helps.
    I'll be doing security work for the Air Force base provided that my company still does it. So I will be OCing on the job of course.
    I have heard that WA isNOT a castle doctrine state is that true?

Post imported post

I am unaware of the case law showing a "Castle Doctrine" in Washington also.

Could somebody provide a link to such? I would love to know that one.

Post imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
    There is one exception where Washington is less restrictive, and that's on restaurant carry. We can carry here, openly or concealed, in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they are not "21 and over" areas like bars. You cannot carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol in Arizona, even if it's all-ages.

Post imported post

DYE wrote:
    Hello all,

Â*As this is my first post on this forum I am interested in learning about the concealed/open carry laws in WA. I currently posess an AZ concealed carry card but I am looking for someplace where I can learn about WA. Any information on this subject would be great! Thanks
    You ought to get hold of Washington State Gun Rights and Responsibilities which is my book that has been in print for about 12 years. The latest edition is available.

Post imported post

deleted multiple post

Post imported post

deleted multiple post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast