• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from AZ to WA

DYE

imported post

Hello all,

As this is my first post on this forum I am interested in learning about the concealed/open carry laws in WA. I currently posess an AZ concealed carry card but I am looking for someplace where I can learn about WA. Any information on this subject would be great! Thanks

G27

imported post

Washington is pretty lax about it's laws. Open carrying is legal but there are certain places that are restricted. Other than that it is worth while to note that you needa CWP to carry a firearm in your car loaded. All of this can be viewed from the main page.I would also suggest reading up on theRCW's relating to firearms. A copy would also be given to you when you get a CWP which is definitely recommended. You will need to be a resident for more than30 days,if irecall correctly. A valid Washington State drivers license is needed as well. Hope this gives you a good idea on what to expect.

DYE

imported post

AZ is also an open carry state but more people are starting to frown on it when they see it. In fact, most ccw instructors are now saying its better not to open carry. But my wife and I are planning on moving this October and where we haven't really made up our minds. We are both interested in Tacoma, Lacy, and Olympia but we are also hearing a lot of bad stories about Tacoma people are saying that they have a high crime rate and a lot of street gangs?

Trigger Dr

imported post

What type work will you be doing, what are your recreational activities?

These can have some minor impact on your location. All in all either of those places would be good, but they also have an area, that is not the best, as most cities do.

welcome in advance.

Jim

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Welcome!

Tacoma, Lacey and Oly are all pretty nice towns IMHO. Of course I am somewhat biased about the last two. Tacoma, like any larger town has it's good and bad points. I think T-town gets a lot of bad rap from Seattle... Of course it smells funny too :p

You couldn't go wrong with any of the three choices.

You can get a Washington CPL even if you do not have residency yet. They may wait up to 90 days to issue it to you, as opposed to 30.

CrossBow33

imported post

Interstate 5, particularly in the south sound lately, is becoming nightmarish...on Firdays especially. Asthe south end is still "affordable", this situation will only get worse. Something to consider when choosing work/live locales.

Bear 45/70

imported post

DYE wrote:
AZ is also an open carry state but more people are starting to frown on it when they see it. In fact, most ccw instructors are now saying its better not to open carry. But my wife and I are planning on moving this October and where we haven't really made up our minds. We are both interested in Tacoma, Lacy, and Olympia but we are also hearing a lot of bad stories about Tacoma people are saying that they have a high crime rate and a lot of street gangs?
Of course the CCW instructors don't want open carry, then you won't attend their class. But that doesn't mean everyone frowns on it. A snow bird buddy of mine thinks it's great. But then he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it is legal here.

just_a_car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
DYE wrote:
Of course the CCW instructors don't want open carry, then you won't attend their class. But that doesn't mean everyone frowns on it. A snow bird buddy of mine thinks it's great. But then he still doesn't believe me when I tell him it is legal here.
Easy way to fix that Bear... show him all the pics we have of folks up here OC'ing! And show him the "uneventful OC" posts.

Bear 45/70

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
DYE wrote:
Easy way to fix that Bear... show him all the pics we have of folks up here OC'ing! And show him the "uneventful OC" posts.
He sold his house on the lake and bought a place over near the prison at Walla Walla on the dry side. I only see him once a year now. He makes me look meek and mild when it comes to stubborn.
missingteeth.gif

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
He sold his house on the lake and bought a place over near the prison at Walla Walla on the dry side. I only see him once a year now. He makes me look meek and mild when it comes to stubborn.
missingteeth.gif
You're not stubborn. You're just opitions challenged. :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
missingteeth.gif
You're not stubborn. You're just opitions challenged. :p

TOLERANCE is a virtue possessed by those with no conviction...
wimp.gif

tattedupboy

imported post

If OC is your preferred mode of carry, then you're taking a step backward by moving out of AZ. Next to VA, AZ is perhaps the nation's most OC friendly state. Also, in AZ, you can OC anything that is legal to own, including rifles, shotguns, Class III and NFA weapons, as well as knives and AOWs; no other state, including VA, is quite this liberal in what people are allowed to OC.

As for CC, I would say that the edge goes to WA. There, no training is required for a permit, and WA was a Castle Doctrine state (at least in case law, if not statutorally) long before FL and most other states were. As for OC without a permit, it is allowed only on foot, and not all parts of the state are OC friendly, unlike AZ.

Hope this helps.

DYE

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
If OC is your preferred mode of carry, then you're taking a step backward by moving out of AZ. Next to VA, AZ is perhaps the nation's most OC friendly state. Also, in AZ, you can OC anything that is legal to own, including rifles, shotguns, Class III and NFA weapons, as well as knives and AOWs; no other state, including VA, is quite this liberal in what people are allowed to OC.

As for CC, I would say that the edge goes to WA. There, no training is required for a permit, and WA was a Castle Doctrine state (at least in case law, if not statutorally) long before FL and most other states were. As for OC without a permit, it is allowed only on foot, and not all parts of the state are OC friendly, unlike AZ.

Hope this helps.
I'll be doing security work for the Air Force base provided that my company still does it. So I will be OCing on the job of course.
I have heard that WA isNOT a castle doctrine state is that true?