Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP

Post imported post

I know this gun isnt gonna be used a whole lot for OC, but I was wondering if anybody is excited about the new Ruger LCP that should be shipping within the next couple weeks. It's based off the KelTec P3at (well, basically a copy... but we'll see if its a better copy). Sportsman warehouse said they'll have em for $290. Anybody else pre-ordered one, or are you all waiting for my review .

I plan on using it for a back up gun, or something for when i just need to throw something in the pocket.

Post imported post

I will say this. I was at a dealer just a few days ago looking at the new Ruger SR9. I will say that it is a nice looking gun, but I would never buy it.

It was all good until I dry-fired it, and OMG, it felt like a piece of crap toy gun. I would seriously wait and try to shoot your choice before buying one, or at least dry-fire it a few times.

I couldn't belive Ruger would make what appears to be such a piece of junk (SR9), so buy carefully!!!

If the one your interested in is anything like the SR9, I think you will be disappointed.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

It looks like my Ruger P345 is about to have a baby brother! Looks like a very nice BUG, nice and light for an ankle holster or as the video says, a very sweet pocket gun.

http://www.ruger.com/LCP/

Post imported post

Why would I get excited about the 're-release' of the KelTec P3AT?
    "I'm just a no-account screed-peddler" Dave Workman http://goo.gl/CNf6pB

"We ought to extend the [1994] assault weapons ban" George W Bush

"The Bush Administration declared a permanent ban today on almost all foreign-made semiautomatic assault rifles." George Bush Sr, New York Times on July 8, 1989

"I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it without delay." Ronald Regan.

"Guns are an abomination." Richard Nixon

Post imported post

Wow, I thought it was a rebranded Kel-tec when I saw it too.

If it's decent quality, I'd seriously consider looking at one. I've had my eye on a mouse-gun pocket protector for sometime now.
    -Unrequited

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

If it's anything like my P345, it'll be awesome. That thing shoots anything and is a whole lot more accurate that I am. For a polymer frame, the felt recoil minimal and recoil control is incredible!

Might be a nice purse pistol for my wife too.

Post imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
    Why would I get excited about the 're-release' of the KelTec P3AT?
    Because it is probably better made and more realiable than the P3AT. Don't get me wrong, I have a P3AT and it's been 100% reliable, but I understand that's the luck of the draw.Othersare not as lucky.I like it and in fact I carried it earlier tonight. But the P3ATis "rough" in the finish department.

As with the 9mm, I doubt anyone laughs at a .380 while they're being shot at with one. I do like the concept ofa small .380 as a 2nd or 3rd carry gun. By comparison my G27 is huge.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

I have the KelTec P11 in 9mm and keep it as a small back-up gun in the car. I considered the P3AT, but when Ruger came out with their version it looks so much better. It will be a true pocket pistol to toss in at the last minute. I prefer the Ruger history, but KelTec has a great service department and warranty. The Ruger seems to be finished better too. I have the Ruger LCP .380 on order. Here is a good video of a review: http://www.downrange.tv/player.htm?bcpid=452320104&bclid=459256134&amp ;bctid =1433966126
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post imported post

Interesting. I'm going to have to look for it at the gunshop and check it out. This may be just what I am looking for at the moment. Thanks for the info and links, guys.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

State Researcher

Post imported post

My P3AT is the 2nd most reliable gun I own, as it has had 1 failure to cycle in over 300 rounds, and that was a stove-pipe. I carry it everywhere, comfortably and securely. I haven't a single complaint about the gun.

The LCP appears to be virtually identical to the P3AT, other than that it's heavier, and it has a slide lock. Heavier is never a good thing, and that OMG wonderiferously wonderful slide lock doesn't lock the slide on the last round. The ONLY thing it does is allow the operator to manually lock the slide back. Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing. I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch. It just seems unprofessional. Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design. Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch. It just seems unprofessional. Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design. Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?
    I've been wondering the same thing. Personally I hope KelTec sues and wins if they have grounds to do so. Besides... some of us still remember Bill Ruger's role in the AWB 94.

Post imported post

Really I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with it. I've already ordered mine, so I should have a review up within a couple weeks, but I'm sure they'll be plenty on the internet by then.. There's already a few consumer range reports floating around. So far the consensus is that it is a great gun but can have feeding problems with a select few types of hollow points. I think ball ammo is the better choice for protection in this caliber anyway, because of increased penetration...

As to Ruger copying the keltec, I think it's not a bad thing. Maybe they shouldnt have spun the PR the way that they did, but I think the keltec fanbois sound like a bunch of babies. From the sound of things, keltec has no patents regaurding their pistols, because nothing on their pistols is original enough to warrent a patent. That means that all they can do is whine about it, and make a better product to compete. This can only benefit the consumer, in terms of pricing, and in terms of quality (the most important aspect in a gun).

Hopefully it will make a great BUG to compliment my XD 45 service model, or to stand it's own ground for quick trips and times when I really need to conceal.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing.* I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch.* It just seems unprofessional.* Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design.* Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?
    Chambering the +1? (I always do the mag, cycle, drop mag, +1, mag because I've heard of extractor problems after awhile).
    -Unrequited

State Researcher

Post imported post

unrequited wrote:
    DreQo wrote:
    Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing. I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

Chambering the +1? (I always do the mag, cycle, drop mag, +1, mag because I've heard of extractor problems after awhile).
    I do the same with every gun I own. I put the mag in, pull the slide back and release, then drop the mag and top it off. The only time I use the slide-locks that I DO have is on the last round. My Walther PPK/s has a slide lock, but not a slide release. You still have to pull the slide back and release once you've inserted a loaded mag. I don't see any real benefit of having a manual slide lock. It just seems like another moving part to me.

As far as the Kel-Tec fans being whiney...lol yeah, I would agree a lot of them sound like that. I am not a die hard Kel-Tec fan. I own one, and happen to be very happy with it. I respect Kel-Tec for making a firearm that I can trust with the possibility of protecting my life. Out of that respect, I see Ruger's blatant "I MADE THIS!" attitude as less than honorable.

Post imported post

If the Ruger is a 'copy' of the KelTec, then I will take one of the copy's. Fit,finish, action, trigger all better then the KT. Dimensions are nearly identical with the Ruger being a bit wider. Can't wait to shoot one and see if they actually works.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

After examining a fresh out the box LCP today, it is a better feeling gun in the hand. It fit into the Wild Bills Concealment pocket holster for my P3AT. The slide lock is worthless, very difficult to engage. Magazines are Mecgar but stamped Ruger. Sights are equal to the current generation P3AT. I would love to do a shoot off to see which one works best out of the box.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

I looked at one of these last night. The fit and finish is better than the Kel-Tec, and the trigger is a great improvement. Every time I think about getting a Kel-Tec, I am reminded that I just don't like the trigger. It really does look and feel like a nice gun. I'm still torn between the two. The Ruger hasn't been proven, but then the Kel-Tec's sound like an iffy proposition also (albeit one with great CS). The thing that sets the two apart to me is the trigger, and the F n' F. I know it doesn't really matter in a bellyl gun, but I still just don't care for the KT trigger. One of those things I guess.

State Researcher

Post imported post

A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.

Post imported post

Every DreQo wrote:
    A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.
    On every Kel-Tec I've looked at the trigger was horrible. I don’t mind a long or heavy pull since even the S & W J-Frames have that, but the KT’s have what might be best described as a “final stage”. That’s the part I don’t like. It feels like a paper punch that just punched through one too many sheets of paper. No matter how gently I “squeeze” the KT trigger, the sights always jump around at the end of that final stage. The Ruger may be longer or heavier (I really don’t know), but it’s definitely smoother by far.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ruger likes long heavier pull triggers. My Ruger P345 has a long heavy pull also but I was able to eliminate that heavy pull with a nice 19lb Wolff spring! Never had a misfire, DA first pull is easier and smoothandthe primer strikes are right on. Hopefully Wolff will make a lighter spring for the LCP also!

State Researcher

Post imported post

ghostrider wrote:
    Every DreQo wrote:
    On every Kel-Tec I've looked at the trigger was horrible. I don’t mind a long or heavy pull since even the S & W J-Frames have that, but the KT’s have what might be best described as a “final stage”. That’s the part I don’t like. It feels like a paper punch that just punched through one too many sheets of paper. No matter how gently I “squeeze” the KT trigger, the sights always jump around at the end of that final stage. The Ruger may be longer or heavier (I really don’t know), but it’s definitely smoother by far.
    I'm really surprised by your description of the KT's trigger pull. I had to pull mine out (of my pocket) and dry fire it a couple of times to see what you were talking about. My P3AT's trigger pull is smooth, a little lighter than the initial DA pull on my SW99, and breaks crisply every time with almost no over-travel. I've felttriggers a whole lot worse than that, and for a DAO trigger, I can't say I've felt better.

I CAN say that I wouldn't want it to be any heavier!

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    ghostrider wrote:
    Every DreQo wrote:
    I'm really surprised by your description of the KT's trigger pull. I had to pull mine out (of my pocket) and dry fire it a couple of times to see what you were talking about. My P3AT's trigger pull is smooth, a little lighter than the initial DA pull on my SW99, and breaks crisply every time with almost no over-travel. I've felttriggers a whole lot worse than that, and for a DAO trigger, I can't say I've felt better.

I CAN say that I wouldn't want it to be any heavier!
    I've only looked at about three or four Kel-Tecs, and they were all new, and all like I described. I've looked at several J-Frames, and while the J-Frame trigger is heavier, it is much smoother.

In all honesty, I really don't think it matters all that much. After all, we're talking abou a "belly gun" here, and I don't think the trigger is all that important for that specific use.

Other than that, I've nothing against Kel-Tecs. May even buy one some day, but then the LCP does seem nicer, so who knows.

Post imported post

Well damn. I just bought a toy. Ruger SR9 that is. I am not a veteran shooter, so probably do not the difference. I did alot of long gun shooting when I was younger, but living in California for the last 17 years, have not touched any firearm in a long time. Basic training was the last time.

I hadthe Ruger at the range on Friday, and enjoyed myself. Was hitting where I was aiming. Did seem like an excessive amount of trigger travel though. I was reading a review in one of the magazines, and they said the same basically.

This is my first post, and want to thank ya'll for all the information on the forum. Have been lurking for a bit.

Yes, I have OCed. Strange feeling. So far so good in the Prairieville area.

Ron

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO Ron/zxin_it! Sounds like you have a great little toy there, enjoy it safely.Where is Prairieville?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast