• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCP

cut_cutta

imported post

I know this gun isnt gonna be used a whole lot for OC, but I was wondering if anybody is excited about the new Ruger LCP that should be shipping within the next couple weeks. It's based off the KelTec P3at (well, basically a copy... but we'll see if its a better copy). Sportsman warehouse said they'll have em for $290. Anybody else pre-ordered one, or are you all waiting for my review :cool:.

I plan on using it for a back up gun, or something for when i just need to throw something in the pocket.

surfj9009

imported post

I will say this. I was at a dealer just a few days ago looking at the new Ruger SR9. I will say that it is a nice looking gun, but I would never buy it.

It was all good until I dry-fired it, and OMG, it felt like a piece of crap toy gun. I would seriously wait and try to shoot your choice before buying one, or at least dry-fire it a few times.

I couldn't belive Ruger would make what appears to be such a piece of junk (SR9), so buy carefully!!!

If the one your interested in is anything like the SR9, I think you will be disappointed.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Why would I get excited about the 're-release' of the KelTec P3AT? ;)

unrequited

imported post

Wow, I thought it was a rebranded Kel-tec when I saw it too.

If it's decent quality, I'd seriously consider looking at one. I've had my eye on a mouse-gun pocket protector for sometime now.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If it's anything like my P345, it'll be awesome. That thing shoots anything and is a whole lot more accurate that I am. For a polymer frame, the felt recoil minimal and recoil control is incredible!

Might be a nice purse pistol for my wife too.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
Why would I get excited about the 're-release' of the KelTec P3AT? ;)

Because it is probably better made and more realiable than the P3AT. Don't get me wrong, I have a P3AT and it's been 100% reliable, but I understand that's the luck of the draw.Othersare not as lucky.I like it and in fact I carried it earlier tonight. But the P3ATis "rough" in the finish department.

As with the 9mm, I doubt anyone laughs at a .380 while they're being shot at with one. I do like the concept ofa small .380 as a 2nd or 3rd carry gun. By comparison my G27 is huge.

snoball

imported post

I have the KelTec P11 in 9mm and keep it as a small back-up gun in the car. I considered the P3AT, but when Ruger came out with their version it looks so much better. It will be a true pocket pistol to toss in at the last minute. I prefer the Ruger history, but KelTec has a great service department and warranty. The Ruger seems to be finished better too. I have the Ruger LCP .380 on order. Here is a good video of a review: http://www.downrange.tv/player.htm?bcpid=452320104&bclid=459256134&bctid =1433966126

Attachments

• 364L.jpg
    364L.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3,249

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Interesting. I'm going to have to look for it at the gunshop and check it out. This may be just what I am looking for at the moment. Thanks for the info and links, guys.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

My P3AT is the 2nd most reliable gun I own, as it has had 1 failure to cycle in over 300 rounds, and that was a stove-pipe. I carry it everywhere, comfortably and securely. I haven't a single complaint about the gun.

The LCP appears to be virtually identical to the P3AT, other than that it's heavier, and it has a slide lock. Heavier is never a good thing, and that OMG wonderiferously wonderful slide lock doesn't lock the slide on the last round. The ONLY thing it does is allow the operator to manually lock the slide back. Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing. I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch. It just seems unprofessional. Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design. Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

DreQo wrote:
What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch. It just seems unprofessional. Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design. Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?
I've been wondering the same thing. Personally I hope KelTec sues and wins if they have grounds to do so. Besides... some of us still remember Bill Ruger's role in the AWB 94.

cut_cutta

imported post

Really I was wondering if anyone had personal experience with it. I've already ordered mine, so I should have a review up within a couple weeks, but I'm sure they'll be plenty on the internet by then.. There's already a few consumer range reports floating around. So far the consensus is that it is a great gun but can have feeding problems with a select few types of hollow points. I think ball ammo is the better choice for protection in this caliber anyway, because of increased penetration...

As to Ruger copying the keltec, I think it's not a bad thing. Maybe they shouldnt have spun the PR the way that they did, but I think the keltec fanbois sound like a bunch of babies. From the sound of things, keltec has no patents regaurding their pistols, because nothing on their pistols is original enough to warrent a patent. That means that all they can do is whine about it, and make a better product to compete. This can only benefit the consumer, in terms of pricing, and in terms of quality (the most important aspect in a gun).

Hopefully it will make a great BUG to compliment my XD 45 service model, or to stand it's own ground for quick trips and times when I really need to conceal.

unrequited

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing.  I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

What really gets me is Ruger is acting like they built this gun from scratch.  It just seems unprofessional.  Any 1911 manufacturer will give Browning his credit, and simply show how they believe they've improved the design.  Why can't Ruger do the same with Kel-Tec's design?
Chambering the +1? (I always do the mag, cycle, drop mag, +1, mag because I've heard of extractor problems after awhile).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

unrequited wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Yeah, that's something the P3AT doesn't do...but it's nothing amazing. I've never found myself wishing I could lock the slide back.

Chambering the +1? (I always do the mag, cycle, drop mag, +1, mag because I've heard of extractor problems after awhile).

I do the same with every gun I own. I put the mag in, pull the slide back and release, then drop the mag and top it off. The only time I use the slide-locks that I DO have is on the last round. My Walther PPK/s has a slide lock, but not a slide release. You still have to pull the slide back and release once you've inserted a loaded mag. I don't see any real benefit of having a manual slide lock. It just seems like another moving part to me.

As far as the Kel-Tec fans being whiney...lol yeah, I would agree a lot of them sound like that. I am not a die hard Kel-Tec fan. I own one, and happen to be very happy with it. I respect Kel-Tec for making a firearm that I can trust with the possibility of protecting my life. Out of that respect, I see Ruger's blatant "I MADE THIS!" attitude as less than honorable.

VAopencarry

imported post

If the Ruger is a 'copy' of the KelTec, then I will take one of the copy's. Fit,finish, action, trigger all better then the KT. Dimensions are nearly identical with the Ruger being a bit wider. Can't wait to shoot one and see if they actually works. :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

After examining a fresh out the box LCP today, it is a better feeling gun in the hand. It fit into the Wild Bills Concealment pocket holster for my P3AT. The slide lock is worthless, very difficult to engage. Magazines are Mecgar but stamped Ruger. Sights are equal to the current generation P3AT. I would love to do a shoot off to see which one works best out of the box.

ghostrider

imported post

I looked at one of these last night. The fit and finish is better than the Kel-Tec, and the trigger is a great improvement. Every time I think about getting a Kel-Tec, I am reminded that I just don't like the trigger. It really does look and feel like a nice gun. I'm still torn between the two. The Ruger hasn't been proven, but then the Kel-Tec's sound like an iffy proposition also (albeit one with great CS). The thing that sets the two apart to me is the trigger, and the F n' F. I know it doesn't really matter in a bellyl gun, but I still just don't care for the KT trigger. One of those things I guess.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.

ghostrider

imported post

Every DreQo wrote:
A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.
On every Kel-Tec I've looked at the trigger was horrible. I don’t mind a long or heavy pull since even the S & W J-Frames have that, but the KT’s have what might be best described as a “final stage”. That’s the part I don’t like. It feels like a paper punch that just punched through one too many sheets of paper. No matter how gently I “squeeze” the KT trigger, the sights always jump around at the end of that final stage. The Ruger may be longer or heavier (I really don’t know), but it’s definitely smoother by far.