• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger LCP

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ruger likes long heavier pull triggers. My Ruger P345 has a long heavy pull also but I was able to eliminate that heavy pull with a nice 19lb Wolff spring! Never had a misfire, DA first pull is easier and smoothandthe primer strikes are right on. Hopefully Wolff will make a lighter spring for the LCP also!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Every DreQo wrote:
A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.
On every Kel-Tec I've looked at the trigger was horrible. I don’t mind a long or heavy pull since even the S & W J-Frames have that, but the KT’s have what might be best described as a “final stage”. That’s the part I don’t like. It feels like a paper punch that just punched through one too many sheets of paper. No matter how gently I “squeeze” the KT trigger, the sights always jump around at the end of that final stage. The Ruger may be longer or heavier (I really don’t know), but it’s definitely smoother by far.
I'm really surprised by your description of the KT's trigger pull. I had to pull mine out (of my pocket) and dry fire it a couple of times to see what you were talking about. My P3AT's trigger pull is smooth, a little lighter than the initial DA pull on my SW99, and breaks crisply every time with almost no over-travel. I've felttriggers a whole lot worse than that, and for a DAO trigger, I can't say I've felt better.

I CAN say that I wouldn't want it to be any heavier!

ghostrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Every DreQo wrote:
A lot of people are mentioning the triggers. Whats the difference between the triggers on the P3AT and the LCP? I thought I had read that the pull on the LCP was heavier. I'm curious what people don't like about the P3AT trigger.
On every Kel-Tec I've looked at the trigger was horrible. I don’t mind a long or heavy pull since even the S & W J-Frames have that, but the KT’s have what might be best described as a “final stage”. That’s the part I don’t like. It feels like a paper punch that just punched through one too many sheets of paper. No matter how gently I “squeeze” the KT trigger, the sights always jump around at the end of that final stage. The Ruger may be longer or heavier (I really don’t know), but it’s definitely smoother by far.
I'm really surprised by your description of the KT's trigger pull. I had to pull mine out (of my pocket) and dry fire it a couple of times to see what you were talking about. My P3AT's trigger pull is smooth, a little lighter than the initial DA pull on my SW99, and breaks crisply every time with almost no over-travel. I've felttriggers a whole lot worse than that, and for a DAO trigger, I can't say I've felt better.

I've only looked at about three or four Kel-Tecs, and they were all new, and all like I described. I've looked at several J-Frames, and while the J-Frame trigger is heavier, it is much smoother.

In all honesty, I really don't think it matters all that much. After all, we're talking abou a "belly gun" here, and I don't think the trigger is all that important for that specific use.

Other than that, I've nothing against Kel-Tecs. May even buy one some day, but then the LCP does seem nicer, so who knows.

zxin_it

imported post

Well damn. I just bought a toy. Ruger SR9 that is. I am not a veteran shooter, so probably do not the difference. I did alot of long gun shooting when I was younger, but living in California for the last 17 years, have not touched any firearm in a long time. Basic training was the last time.

I hadthe Ruger at the range on Friday, and enjoyed myself. Was hitting where I was aiming. Did seem like an excessive amount of trigger travel though. I was reading a review in one of the magazines, and they said the same basically.

This is my first post, and want to thank ya'll for all the information on the forum. Have been lurking for a bit.

Yes, I have OCed. Strange feeling. So far so good in the Prairieville area.

Ron

zxin_it

imported post

Just east of Baton Rouge LA. Rather small town. Nice change from California bay area.

Ron

ghostrider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
Every DreQo wrote:

I’ve got to give equal time here.

I stopped by Gander Mountain today to look around and they had a PF-9 complete with laser. I asked to look at it and dry fired a couple times. This was by far the best KT trigger I’ve ever encountered. Still long, but not as heavey, and very little staging, so that “paper punch” stage wasn’t there. It was so smooth that I might even say it was better than a Sigma trigger.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

jaronj wrote:
i will never carry anything under a .45 cal so i will not be buying a .380.
Never? Even though there are multiple (and sometimes cheaper) handgun rounds that deliver more energy to the target? (i.e. .40, 9mm, .357sig, 10mm, etc). Don't think I'm knocking the .45, I will be owning one soon, myself. I just think it's interesting that you'd make such a blanket statement.

snoball

imported post

I have several .45's and I love them. But carrying one all the time can get old, so I want a pocket pistol for those times. Better to have that than to not carry because it was inconvenient. Besides, the more guns the better. I have them in all sizes and calibers and love them all...just can't stop when I see a nice one come out.

ghostrider

imported post

BB62 wrote:
zxin_it wrote:
Well damn. I just bought a toy. Ruger SR9 that is...
OT - did you hear about the SR9 recall?

http://www.ruger.com/SR9Recall/
Is it such a difficult endeavor that Ruger can't just send the part to the gun owners so that they may replace the defective part (or even letting them have a local, authorized smith do it)? I can understand making the option available to those who don't want to work on the gun themselves, but it seems like this is going to inconvience a lot of people.

Euromutt

imported post

Huh. I just rented an SR9 at the range last Wednesday. It was nice enough to shoot, but putting the thumb safety back in the "safe" position wore on my thumb. It doesn't go on my Christmas list until that problem is resolveable.