• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster choice for OC...

Vegas_Dave

imported post

So I have personally never OC'd in public yet. The only times that I have ever were at the Metro shooting range (I go with my friend on Metro).

I have to admit that I cannot recall ever seeing anyone OC in public. I have lived in Las Vegas/Henderson all of my life (28) and my family owns 3 businesses here in Las Vegas (music stores) and have never had anyone come in.

Anyways, I was kind of curious as to the holster type that people use for OC here in Las Vegas/Henderson.

The one I own is a "Nevada Gun Leather" side holster. Its a great holster but it has not retention clip on it. So I would be hesitant to OC it... are my hesitations just?

Also, I was thinking of going to American Shooters tomorrow to fire off 100 rounds or so if anyone wanted to meet up for some shooting.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

American Shooters shooting range insurance policy requires that firearms be unloaded when not shooting. So when you walk in, it's recommended that if you are OC, the firearm is in the safety position to avoid silly questions.

Also, they may want to check your ammo if you bring your own just to make sure it complies with their policy. It's not a "clean" range so to speak so you can shoot regular lead rounds ("The Gun Store" requires you shoot so-called clean ammo.) but they do have some restrictions. Most especially if you're shooting off a rifle.

As for the holster, pick up a Serpa Level 2 duty holster. These are the best I've found. Not only does it have a retention clip, but is also a full size holster fully covering the firearm so your expensive rear sights are protected if you bump into something. Plus the holster can be tensioned to match the size of your belt. So you can wear it securely on different belts different days.

I OC here in Vegas and Henderson all the time. Yesterday at TGI Fridays (Sunset & Green Valley), last Monday at Wachovia Bank (Sunset & Stephanie). Not a single word, except from the people I was with for happy hour yesterday at Fridays. Had 2 beers after work and then went home. Went to PTs Pub (Spring Mountain & Arville) last night with my wife and again, not a single word. And no, I wasn't drinking (no alcohol, only orange juice) at PTs, only dumping my hard earned money into the paper shredder known as video keno :) I don't mind having a beer or two with my firearm, but I don't feel comfortable with any more than that.

Again today at the same PTs for a burger with no problem, but at a busy Bank of America (Twain & Jones) 5 minutes before closing, the armed security guard eyed me the whole time. Bad guys don't wait in line and make DEPOSITS! :)

Tim

Vegas_Dave

imported post

So is it a bad idea to OC with the type of holster that I have?

102.gif

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nah. Just maintain condition yellow and always be aware of what's going on and who is around you. But this is the same advise regardless of what holster you've got.

I am often out at night so in addition to my internal Lasemax guide-rod laser, I also have a tactical flashlight mounted. The Lasermax is no problem since it's 100% internal, but the tac light obviously makes the firearm not fit into standard holsters. So I have a different holster I use at night that holds the firearm securely, but has an opening allowing the easy placement and retrieval of the firearm with mounted tac light, and it does not have a retention clip.

Tim

Vegas_Dave

imported post

I figured it would be OK consider the angle that it sits makes it really only pull one good way. Being aware is always the main issue.

Is there 1 spot that has the rules in plain english for OC? Like, if I wanted to go see a movie today at the Fiesta, would I be able to OC there?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

There is no specific law that mentions OC. Open Carry is legal because there are no laws against it.

You can OC at the movies, unless they ask you to leave. If a private establishment asks you to leave you must lest you be tresspassing.