• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how about your opinion

pipeman

imported post

While i may be new to this forum I have OCed now for some time around the Monroe/ Matthews area with no real issues other than the occasional idiot. I usually carry something of a small or medium size weapon but I recently purchased a Taurus model 65 in .357 with a 4" barrel and a nice holster for it (I like the stopping power of the larger calibers:D). I would like to make this my primary OC weapon but i'm not sure if it is going to draw too much attention:what:, mainly from the above mentioned idiots. Let me know what you guys think about that idea.

yonder

imported post

From what I understand the NC Supreme Court has gone out of its way to protect open carry rights for larger less-concealable handguns which is why you can OC a big pistol in the leftist hippy stronghold of Chapel Hill but not a smaller more concealable pistol.

pipeman

imported post

Carried it today everywhere I went without any problems. Its actually more comfortable than the XD I usually carry but I definitely got more:what:than usual. Something about a set of Hogue grips on a chunk of stainless steel that just says HEY LOOK AT ME! This will definitely be my every day carry!:D

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I'm in Indian Trail, and therefore "must" frequent the Wally World down the street from me. They love my 5" 1911's. I have set them straight there multiple times. BTW, do you ever make it out to Firepower (the old Bullet Hole)? I have switched to carrying 1911's exclusively, so i get the added, "why is the hammer back?" from people that know enough to understand the minor physics of "click...boom".

pipeman

imported post

Yea I make it out to Firepower as often as my work schedule allows, usually every other saturday. You think the Wal-Mart in Indian Trail is bad try the one in Monroe where are all the mexicans hang out (luckily my wife works there). Hell we should meet up at Firepower sometime and put some holes in some paper. At least I know of someone else around here that carries now, you ever have any problems with the LEOs around here?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

No, but I have made an effort to meet as many of the boys in Khaki as possible. Union county educates their officers a little better than most. Except for the one that just got busted on federal charges, who was also a big advocate for open carry. He is also a friend of mine.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Im just wondering about the walmart in indian trail how are they towards customers i live in the lake park area and im wanting to oc there but dont wanna deal with the bs. Im 20 as it is so i cant conceal, but im not thug looking or anything just an ordinary guy that belives in this right. let me know places that you have had trouble with.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I live in Brookstone, so I frequent that one very often. I don't think you'll be hassled too much, as I've already had my encounter with the management and came out smellin' like a rose.

burninsteeda04

imported post

what did they say to you, and how are the union county sherriffs on this, If i have an encounter i will be polite but firm that it is legal. but iv heard they are well versed on this subject, do you ever carry in charlotte or do you think this could be a very bad idea.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

It was a day that I thought I knew the law better than any one, so I refused to show my ID for ammo. I made a big stink about not having to show ID for this, but it turns out I do. when I was being rung up, the assistant manager (young, black female for lack of a better description) asks if I was LEO. I said I was not. She then says, "well, you can't have that in here." Before I could say anything, the assistant manager I was arguing with before about whether I needed to show ID or not said, "yes he can" and left it at that.

Union County deputies never harrass me, but I have 10 years on you. I do OC in my suit just as I do in my cut-offs and sandals. And I usually carry a full size 1911, so people have noticed I have a gun on me. I can only recommend that you dress better than your average 20 yo when OC'ing and be as polite as possible when confronted. And if you're in the Wal-Mart and see a 6'2" 240 lb gorilla carrying a 1911, just say hi.

edit: I carry in Charlotte every day, mostly IWB under my suit coat. I take it off when I'm not in meetings with clients. No harassment, but I do look like a Fed or detective.

burninsteeda04

imported post

Haha. Yeh im always in a nice pair of jeans, and collard shirt. I emphasize on being dressed appropriately, Simply because people make many opinions on people baised on what they wear. I carry a xd sub compact so maybe not as noticable but still none the less its noticeable. I always am with my gf so i think that should put people at ease, maybe not. But I would love to oc Just hate dealing with idiots, I frequent that store alot, good deals. My parents arent to fond of me oc but what they dont see wont harm them haha. Im a real small guy maybe 5'9 160 lb but Always well dressed obviously not in suit and tie, because thats just not who i am unless required. Any other places you frequent say anything to ya.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I have my CHP so go everywhere with a firearm on me, even some places that would rather I didn't (policies aren't laws.They just don't get to know I'm protecting them from the wolves). Home Depot is gun friendly too, if you really wanna stretch your OC legs. Most restaurants that don't serve alcohol don't have a problem either. I also frequent Firepower while OC'ing and have no troubles there. In fact, I'll be there today at 5:00. Come out and shoot.

burninsteeda04

imported post

i would love to meet you but seeing that im in college haha at wcu its a little hard, but i will gladly take you up on that. Im looking to get my CC. I think the same way you do polices arent laws just dont get caught, I know the Home depot in Matthews is a no concealed carry place just look at the columns at harris teeter and where dairyqueen is at, I look at that and say okay so no concealed carry. Nothing about open carry. Im attempting to push our legislators into reversing some of the laws like how we cant carry into movie theaters, and into restuarants that serve alcohol. I think its crap These are areas that we frequent alot especially late at night with our loved ones. But Im really excited about oc in my hometown. Not enough people do it and i wish they did. An armed society is a polite society.

burninsteeda04

imported post

and thats only the property owners policy at The home depot area But, I could care less. And I plan on strecthing my legs as far as i can go. I just want to go everywhere i can possibly go legally with oc. Do you know if doctors offices are off limits. I know this is the law in SC on concealed Carry but im not to well versed in nc

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

burninsteeda04 wrote:
and thats only the property owners policy at The home depot area But, I could care less. And I plan on strecthing my legs as far as i can go. I just want to go everywhere i can possibly go legally with oc. Do you know if doctors offices are off limits. I know this is the law in SC on concealed Carry but im not to well versed in nc
Doctor's offices aren't mentioned in law, and I've openly carried at one myself with no problems.

burninsteeda04

imported post

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon

So does that mean that if the state has control over that property i cant carry or if they have some prolife pro choice type thing i cant carry there.

yonder

imported post

If I understand it right, according to this law you can carry on state property unless there's something like a parade, funeral, picket line, or demonstration going on. So if you're just going about your business and there's not some big public event or demonstration going on at the same time, you're ok.

burninsteeda04 wrote:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon

So does that mean that if the state has control over that property i cant carry or if they have some prolife pro choice type thing i cant carry there.

burninsteeda04

imported post

well carrying on state property from what i understood is illegal. How ever rest stops are legal. tis why u may not carry into courthouse town halls ect yadayada