Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Type of OC

  1. #1
    Regular Member WARCHILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Corunna, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,772

    Post imported post

    I had an interesting conversation with a local LEO yesterday. I came out of Kroger and he was going in. He stopped me and to my surpprise he was only curious if the store had a problem with me OCing in their store. I told him not that I have been made aware of. I asked him if HE had a problem with it. His next statement really caught me off guard: "Not with the way you're wearing it. If it were western style or a shoulder holster I may tell you to cover it up so as not to alarm anyone. I just said, uh,ok and walked away!

    I was wearing my Taurus 9mm in a Don Hume holster (similar style as a Yaqui slide), left side crossdraw configuration. What his train of thought was I don't know other than off the track. But it got me wandering, hasanyoneOC'd in a shoulder holster or western style and had anynegative reactions?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Hmm and what is the difference between "Western style" and "modern style"? Is the former when you don't need a permit to OC and the latter when you do?

    Or what are we talking about here...

    Good LEO interaction, though.

  3. #3
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    Duh, everyone knows that western and shoulder-holstered handguns have an inferiority complex and are angrier than the average gun, thus more likely to incite panic.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Hmm and what is the difference between "Western style" and "modern style"? Is the former when you don't need a permit to OC and the latter when you do?

    Or what are we talking about here...

    Good LEO interaction, though.
    I think by "western style" he meant in a drop-leg/thigh holster. Looks to tactical.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    WARCHILD wrote:
    I had an interesting conversation with a local LEO yesterday. I came out of Kroger and he was going in. He stopped me and to my surpprise he was only curious if the store had a problem with me OCing in their store. I told him not that I have been made aware of. I asked him if HE had a problem with it. His next statement really caught me off guard: "Not with the way you're wearing it. If it were western style or a shoulder holster I may tell you to cover it up so as not to alarm anyone. I just said, uh,ok and walked away!

    I was wearing my Taurus 9mm in a Don Hume holster (similar style as a Yaqui slide), left side crossdraw configuration. What his train of thought was I don't know other than off the track. But it got me wandering, hasanyoneOC'd in a shoulder holster or western style and had anynegative reactions?
    It doesn't matter in what manner you carry...IT'S STILL OCing.

    I Love OPINION ENFORCERER Vs. LAW ENFORCERER:quirky.

    I shoulder holster my S&W 4006 in a Serpa Shoulder harness. No Problems at all. I also carry my 44 mag Vaquero in my Western holster. SGTJensen carries his Glock in a tactical Blackhawk thigh rig and no Problem.

    TJ

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Hmm and what is the difference between "Western style" and "modern style"? Is the former when you don't need a permit to OC and the latter when you do?

    Or what are we talking about here...

    Good LEO interaction, though.
    I think by "western style" he meant in a drop-leg/thigh holster. Looks to tactical.
    If that is indeed the case, unless one is wearing a trench coat how would one go about "cover[ing] it up so as not to alarm anyone."?
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  7. #7
    State Researcher Kevin Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Santaquin, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,313

    Post imported post

    It seems that b1ack5mith gets more negative attention when he carries his Ruger Blackhawk .357 in his Triple K holster with gun belt. He also carries a Glock 23 in a Serpa, but I don't think he has been hassled while wearing that.


    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

  8. #8
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830

    Post imported post

    As you saw at our meeting WARCHILD, I carry my CZ in a modified cavalry holster in the winter to ensure I don't accidentally conceal it. No one seems to have freaked out about it yet.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  9. #9
    Regular Member WARCHILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Corunna, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,772

    Post imported post

    Hey guy: I really didn't expect you or anyone would. I was just wondering if anyonegot any comments when carrying in shoulder or western drop style holsters. This spring I plan on getting another western style .45 revolver and drop holster to wear, now that I'm more comfortable about wearing in the open. Or a nice shoulder holster for my Taurus, take some weight off my hips since my wife's cooking won't let me lose any! Good to see you there.

    Jerry

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    WARCHILD wrote:
    Hey guy: I really didn't expect you or anyone would. I was just wondering if anyonegot any comments when carrying in shoulder or western drop style holsters. This spring I plan on getting another western style .45 revolver and drop holster to wear, now that I'm more comfortable about wearing in the open. Or a nice shoulder holster for my Taurus, take some weight off my hips since my wife's cooking won't let me lose any! Good to see you there.

    Jerry
    I carry at times my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero in Triple K Holster. I just get smiles and "nice piece".

    This is the set-up















    TJ

  11. #11
    Regular Member WARCHILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Corunna, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,772

    Post imported post

    DITTO!!! That's a nice piece. Same gun I had (only .45) and sold a few years back. I "WILL" get another one.

  12. #12
    Regular Member dave1289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moselle, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post


    I carry at times my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero in Triple K Holster. I just get smiles and "nice piece".

    This is the set-up















    TJ
    I would love to have a holster like that for my S&W. The only thing I worry about though is retention. I at least like a thumb break or something.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Morgan, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,580

    Post imported post

    There is a leather strap for it that is kind of a retention. I like it. You can easily put a different retentionon it.

    TJ

  14. #14
    Regular Member dave1289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moselle, Mississippi, USA
    Posts
    59

    Post imported post

    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    There is a leather strap for it that is kind of a retention. I like it. You can easily put a different retentionon it.

    TJ
    Cool, there's a Gander Mountain nearby and I think they carry a similar holster. I'll have to take a closer look at one. My S&W isn't as nice as your ruger but, I think it would look good in one of them.

    Later
    Dave

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •