• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Type of OC

WARCHILD

imported post

I had an interesting conversation with a local LEO yesterday. I came out of Kroger and he was going in. He stopped me and to my surpprise he was only curious if the store had a problem with me OCing in their store. I told him not that I have been made aware of. I asked him if HE had a problem with it. His next statement really caught me off guard: "Not with the way you're wearing it. If it were western style or a shoulder holster I may tell you to cover it up so as not to alarm anyone. I just said, uh,ok and walked away!

I was wearing my Taurus 9mm in a Don Hume holster (similar style as a Yaqui slide), left side crossdraw configuration. What his train of thought was I don't know other than off the track. But it got me wandering, hasanyoneOC'd in a shoulder holster or western style and had anynegative reactions?

imperialism2024

imported post

Hmm and what is the difference between "Western style" and "modern style"? Is the former when you don't need a permit to OC and the latter when you do? :)

Or what are we talking about here...

Good LEO interaction, though.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Duh, everyone knows that western and shoulder-holstered handguns have an inferiority complex and are angrier than the average gun, thus more likely to incite panic. ;)

WhiteRabbit22

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Hmm and what is the difference between "Western style" and "modern style"? Is the former when you don't need a permit to OC and the latter when you do? :)

I think by "western style" he meant in a drop-leg/thigh holster. Looks to tactical. ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
I had an interesting conversation with a local LEO yesterday. I came out of Kroger and he was going in. He stopped me and to my surpprise he was only curious if the store had a problem with me OCing in their store. I told him not that I have been made aware of. I asked him if HE had a problem with it. His next statement really caught me off guard: "Not with the way you're wearing it. If it were western style or a shoulder holster I may tell you to cover it up so as not to alarm anyone. I just said, uh,ok and walked away!

I was wearing my Taurus 9mm in a Don Hume holster (similar style as a Yaqui slide), left side crossdraw configuration. What his train of thought was I don't know other than off the track. But it got me wandering, hasanyoneOC'd in a shoulder holster or western style and had anynegative reactions?

It doesn't matter in what manner you carry...IT'S STILL OCing:banghead::cuss:.

I Love OPINION ENFORCERER Vs. LAW ENFORCERER:quirky.

I shoulder holster my S&W 4006 in a Serpa Shoulder harness. No Problems at all. I also carry my 44 mag Vaquero in my Western holster. SGTJensen carries his Glock in a tactical Blackhawk thigh rig and no Problem.

TJ

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:

I think by "western style" he meant in a drop-leg/thigh holster. Looks to tactical. ;)
If that is indeed the case, unless one is wearing a trench coat how would one go about "cover[ing] it up so as not to alarm anyone."?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It seems that b1ack5mith gets more negative attention when he carries his Ruger Blackhawk .357 in his Triple K holster with gun belt. He also carries a Glock 23 in a Serpa, but I don't think he has been hassled while wearing that.

Michigander

imported post

As you saw at our meeting WARCHILD, I carry my CZ in a modified cavalry holster in the winter to ensure I don't accidentally conceal it. No one seems to have freaked out about it yet.

WARCHILD

imported post

Hey guy: I really didn't expect you or anyone would. I was just wondering if anyonegot any comments when carrying in shoulder or western drop style holsters. This spring I plan on getting another western style .45 revolver and drop holster to wear, now that I'm more comfortable about wearing in the open. Or a nice shoulder holster for my Taurus, take some weight off my hips since my wife's cooking won't let me lose any! Good to see you there.

Jerry

UTOC-45-44

imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
Hey guy: I really didn't expect you or anyone would. I was just wondering if anyonegot any comments when carrying in shoulder or western drop style holsters. This spring I plan on getting another western style .45 revolver and drop holster to wear, now that I'm more comfortable about wearing in the open. Or a nice shoulder holster for my Taurus, take some weight off my hips since my wife's cooking won't let me lose any! Good to see you there.

Jerry

I carry at times my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero in Triple K Holster. I just get smiles and "nice piece".

This is the set-up

[align=right]
792%20COGBURN%20DEL.JPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Holster[/align]

[align=right]
ROOSTEr%20deluze%20belt~4%20copy.JPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Belt[/align]

TJ

dave1289

imported post

I carry at times my 44Mag Ruger Vaquero in Triple K Holster. I just get smiles and "nice piece".

This is the set-up

[align=right]
792%20COGBURN%20DEL.JPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Holster[/align]

[align=right]
ROOSTEr%20deluze%20belt%7E4%20copy.JPG
[/align]

[align=left]Deluxe Rooster Cogburn Two-Tone Belt[/align]

TJ
I would love to have a holster like that for my S&W. The only thing I worry about though is retention. I at least like a thumb break or something.:)

dave1289

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
There is a leather strap for it that is kind of a retention. I like it. You can easily put a different retentionon it.

TJ
Cool, there's a Gander Mountain nearby and I think they carry a similar holster. I'll have to take a closer look at one. My S&W isn't as nice as your ruger but, I think it would look good in one of them.:lol:

Later
Dave