• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Audio recording of police.

BobR

imported post

Here in WA can we legally audio record the police without their knowledge. I am not sure if they have an expectation to privacy while performing their job or not.

I seem to remember hearing that if they are recording, then it is aslo legal for the person being stopped to record.

I know the court threw out some audio recordings made of drunk driving stops because the police did not inform the person being stopped thay were being recorded.

thanks

bob

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Yes we can record them as long as they are acting in thier offical capacity.

It was State vs Flora that set the case law for it.

furthermore, in public there is no expectation of privacy, washington law is in regards to a PRIVATE conversation.

expvideo

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:

furthermore, in public there is no expectation of privacy, washington law is in regards to a PRIVATE conversation.
Stave v Flora states that since they are "public officers", their conversations are public, and can not be considered "private". That means that even if it is just you and the cop with no witnesses, it is still not a private conversation. This goes both ways though. You should never say anything to a police officer that you would not want to say directly to a prosecuting attourney, because a conversation with a police officer is never a private conversation.

joeroket

imported post

expvideo wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Stave v Flora states that since they are "public officers", their conversations are public, and can not be considered "private". That means that even if it is just you and the cop with no witnesses, it is still not a private conversation. This goes both ways though. You should never say anything to a police officer that you would not want to say directly to a prosecuting attourney, because a conversation with a police officer is never a private conversation.

Actually what it says is exactly what I said above.

"We decline the State's invitation to transform the privacy act into a sword available for use against individuals by public officers acting in their official capacity."

expvideo

imported post

joeroket wrote:
expvideo wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Actually what it says is exactly what I said above.

"We decline the State's invitation to transform the privacy act into a sword available for use against individuals by public officers acting in their official capacity."

I was referring to this quote from state v flora:

?The State advances no persuasive basis for its contention that the conversation between the officers and Flora should be considered private. We note in particular that in none of the cases it cites as controlling were public officers asserting a privacy interest in statements uttered in the course of performing their official and public duties. ?