• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I finally figured it out - Bicycle O.C.

PavePusher

imported post

Been trying to figure how to comfortably O.C. while cycling. I ride in full racer-geek chic lycra and thought that wearing a heavy belt with 1911would be very uncomfortable, so I never really tried it. Yesterday I finally decided to give it a few minutes test trial around the house while getting ready to ride. It actually worked out so well that I wore it for my whole 30 mile ride. No problems at all. Passed a few other riders and was passed by a county sherrif and city police car. No comments, don't know how many noticed. Had to have been seen at least once.

Description and pictures:

Gun is a Taurus PT1911,8 rd. mag. Holster is a SERPA level II on a paddle. Fobus double mag holder also on a paddle. Belt is a Blackhawk CQB that is also my daily duty wear belt. Guess I'll have to get another one soon. The plastic paddles slide well against lycra, so chaffing is non-existant. They grip the belt well enough to stay in place, but can be easily moved around for comfort. I found myself adjusting position slightly every few miles, esentially just a quick "comfort hitch". In my riding position, the muzzle is pretty well pointed straight down and angled a few degrees outboard. The belt buckle seemed to press the tie string for my shorts into my skin to hard, but was easily fixed by repositioning the buckle slightly to one side.

unrequited

imported post

With cycling pants, I'm guessing open carry takes on a whole new meaning. > )

Seriously though, be careful with the mag carriers, without any retention a couple bumps and you could bounce out a magazine.

PavePusher

imported post

Yeah, I was checking that frequently yesterday. The Fobus doublemagcarrierseems to keep a pretty tight grip, at least on .45 Taurus 1911 mags. No problems there, and the paved roads here in Tucson vary from glass smooth to heavywashboard. I seem to ride on the latter more than the former, sigh.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

I used to ride my mountain bike in Aridzona while open carrying all the time. Of course I'm left handed so the pistol was a bit more open and exposed to view when I rode. I also had some of those rubber U-shaped rifle holders that are sold for ATV's and occasionally had an AR strapped across the bars when I was riding out to one of the arroyos to do some plinking.

Oddly, I noticed that divers were Much more considerate about 'sharing the road' when I packed while riding; they would move completely into the opposite lane when passing rather than merely giving me 3-4 foot clearance.

Tomahawk

imported post

I have OC'd while riding, but I always wear shorts with beltloops, so it's not too difficult. I have experimented with mounting a holster on my handlebar bag, but I haven't come up with anything that really works, so belt carry it is. Only thing I worry about is taking a spill and scratching the finish on my 1911.

PavePusher

imported post

Hmm, I just re-examined my photos, and noticed that my muzzle was tilted farther to the rear than I thought. I might have to think about adjusting the tilt if I'm riding with other people. Easy to do with the SERPA's.

I should also note that my belt hasbeenwell broken in for at least two years of duty wear. I don't know how well this would work with a new belt, but I would suspect it would be considerably less cosy. I'd break in a new belt with normal clothes before using it on bike.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Only thing I worry about is taking a spill and scratching the finish on my 1911.

**JUST A WARNING - I'm not trying to talk bad about your choice of carry gun, justa thought for you to consider**

then that gun might not be the best thing for you to carry for self defence. The bad guy's not gonna care if the finish gets ruined, why should you?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I see that you've got a Nylon belt. Do you think that exercising (like biking and other things)with a leather belt and holster would cause damage to the leather due to sweat?

Tomahawk

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Only thing I worry about is taking a spill and scratching the finish on my 1911.

**JUST A WARNING - I'm not trying to talk bad about your choice of carry gun, justa thought for you to consider**

then that gun might not be the best thing for you to carry for self defence. The bad guy's not gonna care if the finish gets ruined, why should you?

WTF are you talking about?

Am I to read from youthat since a hypothetical "bad guy" doesn't care about scratching my pistol, I should then stop caring for it and treat it like it's a piece of junk, is that what you're saying?

FightingGlock19

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
FightingGlock19 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

Am I to read from youthat since a hypothetical "bad guy" doesn't care about scratching my pistol, I should then stop caring for it and treat it like it's a piece of junk, is that what you're saying?
I'm just saying if it's a gun that's supposed to be pretty and scratch free, then it isn't a fighting pistol.