• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

URGENT ACTION ALERT! School Carry to be heard by full Senate.

azcdlfred

imported post

We are expecting SB 1214, an AzCDL requested bill, to be debated in the Senate Committee of the Whole (COW), and possibly voted on in Third Read, the week of March 10-14, 2008. It’s time to let EVERY Senator know that “public opinion” says to pass SB 1214.

SB 1214 proposes changes to ARS 13-3102 to allow adults with Concealed Weapons (CCW) permits to carry concealed firearms on public college and university property. Federal law (18 USC § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii)) already allows CCW permit holders to possess firearms on school property.

We strongly encourage you to share this Alert with every pro-rights person you know. It’s very important that the Senate knows there is tremendous support for SB 1214. We want them to get thousands of supporting emails!

Please take the time to send a polite note to every Senator, and let them know that you want them to vote for SB 1214 in the Senate COW and during Third Read. Below is a cut-and-paste letter you can use as a template (but remember, writing your own letter is always better). Following the letter are the email address lists of the Senate in both semi-colon and comma separated formats. Use the one that is compatible with your email software.

Please be sure to include your own name, address, and phone number in all correspondence.

:arrow:

Subject: Support SB 1214

Senator:

The Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL) has informed me that SB 1214 will soon be debated in the Senate Committee of the Whole, and voted on in Third Read. I urge you to vote for the passage of SB 1214.

Federal law (18 USC § 922(q)(2)(B)(ii)) already provides an exception, for concealed weapons (CCW) permit holders, on the restriction regarding the possession of firearms on school property. SB 1214 complies with Federal law by removing the current restrictions on public college and university property. In addition to satisfying State mandated firearms training requirements, which include a written and skills test, CCW permit holders must be 21 year old ADULTS, and undergo routine background checks by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to verify that they are the most law-abiding of the citizenry.

The presence of armed, law-abiding citizens is a proven crime deterrent. Utah has allowed CCW permit holders to carry concealed handguns on college campuses since 2006. Since this was implemented there has not been a single act of gun related violence on those campuses.

Where law-abiding adults have access to firearms, violence ends quickly. In 2002, at Virginia’s Appalachian Law School, a shooting spree ended when two armed adult students confronted the attacker, and persuaded him to surrender. In 1997, the vice-principal of a high school in Pearl, Mississippi, armed himself and ended a shooting rampage without firing a shot.

Restrictive laws, not access to firearms, have led to a rise in school shootings. Prior to 1968, any child could buy a gun through the mail. Most schools had shooting clubs, and it was common for students to store their rifles in classrooms. Yet, school shootings were almost unheard of. Now, with irrational gun bans in place everywhere, anyone determined to do a lot of harm knows that they can literally get away with murder on school grounds, because no one will stop them until it’s too late. On April 16, 2007, twenty-seven students and five faculty members at Virginia Tech lost their lives to a madman who possessed one distinct advantage over his victims – he wasn’t concerned with following the “gun free zone” rules. Nineteen of his thirty-two victims were over twenty-one, the legal age for obtaining a concealed handgun permit in Virginia (and Arizona).

Opponents of SB 1214 will claim that law enforcement won’t be able to tell the difference between armed defenders and armed assailants when they eventually arrive on the scene. This has not been an issue with concealed carry permit holders in other walks of life, for several reasons. First, real-world shootouts are typically localized and over very quickly. Police rarely encounter an ongoing shootout between assailants and armed citizens. Second, police are also trained to expect both armed bad guys and armed good guys, from off-duty/undercover police officers to armed citizens, in tactical scenarios. Finally, concealed weapon permit holders are trained to use their firearms for self-defense, respond properly to a police presence, and not run through buildings looking for bad guys. The biggest distinction between the armed assailants and the armed citizens is that the armed assailants would be running around shooting unarmed victims.

Again, I strongly support this important legislation, and I urge you to vote for the passage of SB 1214.

Sincerely,
Your Name
Street Address
City, AZ zip-code
telephone number

:arrow:

Below are the email addresses of the Senate in both semi-colon and comma separation formats, along with a simple list of email addresses for those who encounter email address formatting problems. Use the list that is compatible with your email software.

Semi-colon format:
paboud@azleg.gov; aaguirre@azleg.gov; callen@azleg.gov; marzberger@azleg.gov; tbee@azleg.gov; rblendu@azleg.gov; rburns@azleg.gov; mburtoncahill@azleg.gov; kcheuvront@azleg.gov; jflake@azleg.gov; jgarcia@azleg.gov; pgorman@azleg.gov; rgould@azleg.gov; cgray@azleg.gov; lgray@azleg.gov; ahale@azleg.gov; jharper@azleg.gov; jhuppenthal@azleg.gov; kjohnson@azleg.gov; llandrumtaylor@azleg.gov; bleff@azleg.gov; dmccunedavis@azleg.gov; rmiranda@azleg.gov; tohalleran@azleg.gov; cpesquiera@azleg.gov; rrios@azleg.gov; vsoltero@azleg.gov; jtibshraeny@azleg.gov; tverschoor@azleg.gov; jwaring@azleg.gov

Comma format:
paboud@azleg.gov, aaguirre@azleg.gov, callen@azleg.gov, marzberger@azleg.gov, tbee@azleg.gov, rblendu@azleg.gov, rburns@azleg.gov, mburtoncahill@azleg.gov, kcheuvront@azleg.gov, jflake@azleg.gov, jgarcia@azleg.gov, pgorman@azleg.gov, rgould@azleg.gov, cgray@azleg.gov, lgray@azleg.gov, ahale@azleg.gov, jharper@azleg.gov, jhuppenthal@azleg.gov, kjohnson@azleg.gov, llandrumtaylor@azleg.gov, bleff@azleg.gov, dmccunedavis@azleg.gov, rmiranda@azleg.gov, tohalleran@azleg.gov, cpesquiera@azleg.gov, rrios@azleg.gov, vsoltero@azleg.gov, jtibshraeny@azleg.gov, tverschoor@azleg.gov, jwaring@azleg.gov

List of members’ email addresses:
paboud@azleg.gov
aaguirre@azleg.gov
callen@azleg.gov
marzberger@azleg.gov
tbee@azleg.gov
rblendu@azleg.gov
rburns@azleg.gov
mburtoncahill@azleg.gov
kcheuvront@azleg.gov
jflake@azleg.gov
jgarcia@azleg.gov
pgorman@azleg.gov
rgould@azleg.gov
cgray@azleg.gov
lgray@azleg.gov
ahale@azleg.gov
jharper@azleg.gov
jhuppenthal@azleg.gov
kjohnson@azleg.gov
llandrumtaylor@azleg.gov
bleff@azleg.gov
dmccunedavis@azleg.gov
rmiranda@azleg.gov
tohalleran@azleg.gov
cpesquiera@azleg.gov
rrios@azleg.gov
vsoltero@azleg.gov
jtibshraeny@azleg.gov
tverschoor@azleg.gov
jwaring@azleg.gov

Stay tuned! As relevant legislation is introduced and progresses, we will keep you up to date viaour Alerts:

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today!

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom

Copyright © 2008 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.

freesignal

imported post

Apparently, Paula Aboud doesn't agree with our views. Hey she's in my district. Guess I'll have to think twice come re-election time.

------------------------------------------

Thanks for writing. Glad to hear opposing opinions delivered respectfully.

I don't happen to agree with your opinion; after conversing with the President Shelton from UA, his opinion and that of his campus police are that pandemonium would rule if police responded to a crisis call (w/in 2 minutes) which gun man would they apprehend?

In addition, school superintendents, teachers, principals and counselors overwhelmingly oppose this legislation.

I don’t believe in mandates. While I do support second amendment rights, I firmly believe that Legislators need to let those individuals most affected create policy for their own schools.

Public school students and teachers galore oppose this bill. So do I.

Thanks for writing.

Paula Aboud
State Senator
District 28, Tucson
1-800-352-8404 X 6-5262

Ranking Democrat: Appropriations Committee
Health Committee
Higher Education Committee

PavePusher

imported post

Yeah, I guess that one went out to everyone who e-mailed her. At least she responded. I'm working on a reply, I'll post it here for critique prior to sending it. Hopefully sometime this afternoon or evening, probably from work. I'd like to get it sent out by tomorrow afternoon.

Rockk

imported post

freesignal wrote:
Apparently, Paula Aboud doesn't agree with our views. Hey she's in my district. Guess I'll have to think twice come re-election time.

------------------------------------------

Thanks for writing. Glad to hear opposing opinions delivered respectfully.

I don't happen to agree with your opinion; after conversing with the President Shelton from UA, his opinion and that of his campus police are that pandemonium would rule if police responded to a crisis call (w/in 2 minutes) which gun man would they apprehend?

In addition, school superintendents, teachers, principals and counselors overwhelmingly oppose this legislation.

I don’t believe in mandates. While I do support second amendment rights, I firmly believe that Legislators need to let those individuals most affected create policy for their own schools.

Public school students and teachers galore oppose this bill. So do I.

Thanks for writing.

Paula Aboud
State Senator
District 28, Tucson
1-800-352-8404 X 6-5262

Ranking Democrat: Appropriations Committee
Health Committee
Higher Education Committee
In response to the first bolded statement, I'm glad to see she only cares about the teachers, counselors, etc. and not the students who pay thousands of dollars to attend the schools.

However, upon reading the second bolded statement, is she thinking about public schools? Wasn't the bill narrowed to only allow CC in community colleges and universities? Maybe she has her facts wrong.

azcdlfred

imported post

swift wrote:
There are 4 Arizona Republican Senators not supporting SB 1214.
URGENT ACTION ALERT! Campus Carry in Danger!

We were expecting SB 1214, an AzCDL requested bill that would allow adults with Concealed Weapons (CCW) permits to carry concealed firearms on public college and university property, to be debated in the Senate Committee of the Whole (COW) this week. But, now we’re learning that some Republican Senators are refusing to support SB 1214. Without their support, SB 1214 has no chance for passage. The following Republican Senators appear to have aligned themselves with the Democrats in the Senate, who are more concerned about the media and certain special interest groups than they are about the safety of students:

Senator Carolyn Allen
callen@azleg.gov
Room 303
602-926-4480 (phone)
602-417-3155 (Fax)

Senator John Huppenthal (Majority Whip)
jhuppenthal@azleg.gov
Room 212
602-926-5261 (phone)
602-417-3157 (Fax)

Senator Tom O’Halleran
tohalleran@azleg.gov
Room 303A
602-926-5584 (phone)
602-417-3101 (Fax)

Senator Jay Tibshraeny
jtibshraeny@azleg.gov
Room 306
602-926-4481 (phone)
602-417-3252 (Fax)

We strongly encourage you to contact these Senators, along with your own Senator, and let them know you expect them to vote for SB 1214 in the Senate COW and during Third Read. The Senate mailing address is 1700 W. Washington, Phoenix, AZ 85007. You can find your Senator here.

If Senators Allen, Huppenthal, O’Halleran or Tibshraeny represent your district, be sure to remind them how their abandonment of SB 1214 will affect your vote when they are up for reelection.

The Senate has already been deluged with cut-and-paste letters on SB 1214. This is the time to use personalized letters. In addition to the language we provided in prior alerts, we recommend you read the arguments supporting SB 1214, by AzCDL member Joe Walker, in his outstanding opinion piece in the Sierra Vista Herald dated March 16, 2008.

This is where the rubber meets the road. If we can’t convince at least one of these Senators to support SB 1214, the bill is dead. Your letters have changed minds and votes in the past. There is every reason to believe that together we can do it again. The time for action is now!

Stay tuned! As relevant legislation is introduced and progresses, we will keep you up to date via these Alerts.

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization. Join today!

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom

Copyright © 2008 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.