• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine carriers

Flintlock

imported post

I am curious to see what others out there prefer in the world of magazine carriers and why you prefer your brandover others.

FightingGlock19

imported post

I use Blade-Tech's Kydex dual magazine carrier. Not a single issue has come up with use of their product(s - I also use their Kydex IWB holster).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't been able to find what I want so for the meantime I bought a Python brand nylon single mag carrier with a velcro'd flap to cover the mag.

Good sides: it was cheap $13, it looks like many other multi-tool and knife holsters, the velcro holds well and I'm not likely to lose the mag even when being quite active, it black so it matches my holsters and it fits any of my 9mm or .45 mags.

Downsides: the velcro'd flap makes pulling the mag rather slow compared to an open top tension retention carrier.

It will work though until I find what I want or have what I want made for me.

ETA: The advantage in my mind to it looking like many other multi-tool and knife holsters is that when I go to a no carry place, such as a club and leave my firearm in the car, I unload it and take the mag with me (if a criminal gets it I don't want them to have a loaded, ready to go gun) and with this, I don't think that most places anyone will even notice that I am carrying a mag thereby telegraphing that there is an unattended gun somewhere nearby.

CTHunter

imported post

Well I have an extra Gerber multi tool sheath that my 229 mags fit that I use.

Because no one takes a second look at it, they just think it’s a knife or multi tool. Nice and concealed.:lol:

MontanaCZ

imported post

I have two kinds that I use. One is the regular open top leather one, and the other is the Biachi molded one with a flap. The reason that I have that one is that the mags for the CZ-75 are a bit sharp on the bottom and dig into my side, so the flap on the Bianchi stops that.

Most people have no clue what you are carrying if it out in the open, even with an empty holster out there as well.

-MTCZ

Euromutt

imported post

I have a horizontal mag holder from Wilderness Tactical Products, though I got that for CCW purposes. Sure, if I stick a mag for my M&P in there, it's an all-black mag in a black holder against a black belt, so it might not be too conspicuous, but still, for OCing I'd want something a little more secure. You don't want some joker to just be able to yank it out and make off with a $30-40 magazine and $15+ worth of Gold dots.

Flintlock

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
I have a horizontal mag holder from Wilderness Tactical Products, though I got that for CCW purposes. Sure, if I stick a mag for my M&P in there, it's an all-black mag in a black holder against a black belt, so it might not be too conspicuous, but still, for OCing I'd want something a little more secure. You don't want some joker to just be able to yank it out and make off with a $30-40 magazine and $15+ worth of Gold dots.
Very interesting product, thanks for the link... The web site says:
Easy-on, easy-off, but totally secure and tough as nails. The same as the AUG/AR pouch, but smaller for a pistol-caliber magazine. Friction fit with no straps.
Just how secure would you consider this product? Have you had any issues with the mag moving around or falling out?

Euromutt

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
Just how secure would you consider this product? Have you had any issues with the mag moving around or falling out?
It's totally secure in the sense that the carrier wraps around the belt before the velcro surfaces engage (so the carrier is very firmly anchored to your belt), and the grip the carrier has on the mag is more than sufficient to keep it from shifting, let alone falling out, as a result of being jolted around by violent movement on my part (running, jumping/landing, slamming into walls, what have you). It's very difficult to generate enough inertia in exactly the right direction for the mag to slip loose from the carrier's grip while the carrier is on you belt. If I grab the (protruding) bottom of the mag and yank it upwards or downwards, it will barely budge. Actually, even if I try to pull the magazine straight out (i.e. along my belt) gradually, the carrier will simply slide along my belt until encounters resistance (generally a belt loop).

Thing is, though, that if you give the mag a brisk tug in the right direction, it will slide right out. Of course, that's exactly what you want if you're trying to reload in the middle of a "dynamic critical incident" (as Rob Pincus would call it). But that's where the other sense of "secure" comes into play: if another person is aware of the presence of the mag on your belt, that person can quite readily pull the mag from the carrier. Hence my preference for using it for CCW. Or more precisely, I'd prefer to keep the carrier concealed, even if my weapon were not.

(I like your wolf avatar, by the way.)

nemo

imported post

Euromutt wrote:
I have a horizontal mag holder from Wilderness Tactical Products, though I got that for CCW purposes.
I ran across a similar mag pouch, a few years ago, at a gun show. It was like yours, but had a flap to contain the mag; you could use it to hold other things besides a mag, for that matter. I bought about half a dozen of them for 5 each, IIRC. They work great and are entirely innocent-looking; it looks more like a cell phone than anything else.