• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Lawrence

dlanier123

imported post

I emailed Lawrence PD, and they got back with me promptly. This is what they said:

My Question:

Can I carry a loaded handgun or rifle in my vehicle without a concealed carry permit if it is not hidden from view. Like on a gun rack on the back glass of a pickup truck?

Reply:

K.S.A. 21-4201(a)(4) prohibits the carrying of a firearm concealed on one's person. Under that statute, the acts you describe would not be illegal. Many cities have passed ordinances that are stricter than the state statute. Lawrence, for example, prohibits the possession of firearms in close proximity to drinking establishments in some circumstances. A loaded firearm stored in the fashion that is described could violate that ordinance. There is a state law that allows firearms to be carried in vehicles while they are unloaded, provided they are encased in a container, which provides an exception to all of the ordinances of this type.

Also, if you are stopped by a police officer, he or she might need to secure the weapon to ensure his or her safety in the encounter.

That's it, apparently open carry in Lawrence is legal!

Scorch05

imported post

I have been OCing in lawrence for several months now. I've had a few questions from people but no one has called the cops on me yet. Several people have asked if I was a LEO.

I did have the hostess at Applebee's on 6th and Monterey Way ask me to put my gun in my car. I didn't feel like arguing the point with her or the manager that day so I did it.

dlanier123

imported post

Yeah, it's just funny that you can open carry in Lawrence... hehe... Never would've thunk it.... hehe