Thread: Funny and for the record

Post imported post

The following commentary was published in the Arlington Connection online following the Governor's ill-thought-out veto of the restaurant carry legislation. I commented in a letter to the editor the same day it was published, as it was just another poorly-informed hatchet job like the Loudoun Easterner.

I went back this week to show the column to someone and it wasn't there any more.

A note on Nick Penning's blog "Penning Thoughts" (sheesh) , noted: "After having two out of the last three columns (posted below) — ‘Honey Grab the Derringer’ and ‘The Dream Shall Never Die’ — rejected by the Arlington Connection, I’ve decided to cease that column and make more postings on this blog."

Could it just be no one was interested in Nick's thoughts at all.....

For the record, Nick Penning's column:

Grab the Derringer, Honey, We’re Taking the Kids to McDonalds
    March 5th, 2008 (Published in the Arlington Connection on 26 Feb 2008)

What fun, huh? What could be more ‘American’ than coming home after a long day and deciding to give yourselves a break and the kids a treat? And now the Republican-led House of Delegates in Richmond has made it even more fun, by approving — in a 62-26 vote — your right to pack a revolver in your pocket while the kids eat their fries.

What in God’s name is happening to our culture? Or should the question be, what are gun-obsessed politicians doing to our culture?

The bill in question SB 476, had been drafted to prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms into Virginia restaurants. Take a look at how a sensible prohibition against guns in eating establishments, especially those which serve alcohol, was twisted into a permit to carry a gun in such places. This is the wording of the bill, as changed by an amendment added before it passed (the original words are in italics; the added ones are in bold):

• No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club … which [has] a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption … may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

Clever, isn’t it? Just amend a well-intentioned “No person shall carry a concealed handgun” into a bar or restaurant, and bastardize it into its polar opposite by changing the language. It went from “no person ‘shall’ carry” a gun, to “no person ‘who’ carries” a gun; and then adding “may consume an alcoholic beverage” at the end.

From, you can’t carry a ‘concealed’ gun into an eating place; to, sure, you can carry a gun in your pocket; you just can’t drink.

This nefarious victory for the National Rifle Association, which is headquartered just outside Arlington in Fairfax County, came courtesy of Emmett W. Hanger, Jr., a Republican senator from Mount Solon, in the Shenandoah Valley southwest of Harrisonburg.

According to press reports, Governor Kaine feels he has to ‘review the details of the bill’ before deciding whether to sign or veto it.

Based on this bill’s provisions, apparently it’s already Ok for you to carry your handgun and holster outside your jacket wherever you go in the Commonwealth. The cause célèbre of gunsters now is hiding them, when you’re in public.

Thirty people were meticulously slaughtered by Virginia handguns at Virginia Tech less than a year ago. Have we learned nothing about the insanity of widespread, no limits possession of handguns in our state and country?

For most of us, this kind of lawmaking is under our radar. Bills fly through our Assembly and, were it not for the press, we’d rarely hear about any of them. Most of the time an entity with the strength of the NRA operates with the wind at its back, sailing its packages of public poison into laws, despite the good efforts of our local Arlington delegates and senators.

Until now things seemed to be changing, in our Virginia and in the nation. We evicted a Republican racist from one of our seats in the U.S. Senate, installing Jim Webb.

Virginia appeared to be joining the nation in ending the politics of violence and hate. Instead, the Assembly snapped a bit of hope from our lives and gave-in to the purveyors of handguns, the only purpose of which is to kill human beings. While rifles are used for hunting and can’t be concealed, easily purchased handguns fit nicely in any pocket and are used all over this gun-infested land to kill spouses, girlfriends, neighbors, and street crime victims. There’s a reason they’re termed “Saturday Night Specials,” since they can be found at virtually every crime scene in every city and village across the country.

And now Virginia, if the governor should fail to use his veto, could see a metastasizing of gun violence in bars and eateries all over the state, thanks to this insane legislation.

‘Sure, you can hide your gun under your shirt or in your bag; but we made certain everything will be safe in the restaurants,’ say those who voted for SB 476, ‘because you can’t drink while you’re packing a gun.’

So, when you’re arrested for killing someone in a late night shootout, heaven help you if you took a drink, because that’s illegal.

To keep this crazy idea out of our statutes, you might consider dropping Governor Kaine a note — at http://www.governor.virginia.gov or by mail to Office of the Governor, 1111 East Broad Street, Richmond 23219; or Phone: (804) 786-2211, or Fax: (804) 371-6351 — and asking him not to sign SB 476.

Maybe you and I can help this national change process by stopping the NRA here; by showing we reject the insanity of all guns, all the time; because they can only lead to more dead bodies too much of the time.

And, by the way, my column on uranium may have indicated I favor unchecked use of coal as our main energy source. I do not. For us to take advantage of our 200+ years’ supply of coal, we must first find a way to make its gaseous products clean and non-polluting.

Nick Penning (http://www.penningthoughts.com) is an Arlington freelance writer.

And my response:

To: arlington@connectionnewspapers.com; loudoun@connectionnewspapers.com
    Subject: RE: Nick Penning Column 2/26/2008
    Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:07:59 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
    {padding:0px;}
    .ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
    {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}

To the Editor:

To paraphraseNick Penning's quotein "Grab the Derringer, Honey, We’re Taking the Kids to McDonalds" (26 February 2008 column), "what in God’s name is happening to our culture" when a supposed journalist is permitted by your paperto use hiscolumn to blatantly distort facts and report on an issue that his writing shows heknows nothing about. I'm amazed that such a fact free and contentless piece of amature writing made it through your editorial process without being checked for accuracy, or even, shallwe say,truthfulness.

First and most blatantly, he doesn't realize that it is currently legal to openly carry firearms into any Virginia restaurant. The only time one cannot carry in a weapon is in the case of a"concealed" weapon being carried into place that serves alcohol. The law does allow you to openly carry a firearm into restaurant that serves alcohol. The law also allows you to carry concealed (or open) when you go to a place likeMcDonalds that does not serve alcoholic beverages.

Second, Mr. Penning suggests that it is the RepublicanHouse in Virginia that passed HB 476 by a wide margin of 62-26. He forgets to mention that the Democratic controlled Senate also passed the bill by amargin of 24-14. I'm pretty sure that is bipartisan support from both houses of the Virginia legislature.

What really offends me is that Mr. Penning goes to great lengths to present the illusion that Virginia concealed handgun permit owners go around committing crimes left and right. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, Virginia CHP holders are one of the most law-abiding segments of our population. The fact is, people with concealed carry permits are less likely than the general population to be arrested for any type of crime and that in states where the population is allowed to carry firearms, overall crime rates are lower than in states that prevent their citizens from exercising their rights. One only needs tolook at our neighbor DC, where handguns are illegal altogether, to see the validity of that fact.

Mr. Penning may not like guns. He may not want to learn to shoot, or to ever carry a gun for any purpose. That is his right and I defend his decision. However, there are thousands of Virginians whowish to exercise their right, and he should acknowledge their right to do so. I also suggest that should he wish to engage in debate on the right to keep and bear arms, that he do a little research and use some facts in hisarguments instead of trying to whip up supports through lies and half-truths.

This is Virginia,Mr. Penning. Virginians still have to right to carry firearms, both openly and concealed (with a CHP). CHP holders are trained, knowledgable, and aware. It is ridiculous for a person with a concealed weapon permit to call undue attention to themselves at a restaurant by unconcealing that weapon, just to be able to eat at a place that serves alcohol.

The Virginia legislature is right to correct that oversight in the law.

[bluedog20175]
    Leesburg, VA

Post imported post

That column makes me want to vomit. What a grade A moron.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The value of blogs. His newsrag won't promulgate his drivel so he self-publishes and gets the same 'respect'. Blog-flogging is spam redux. Pick and choose 'blogged-opinion to read, then verify the facts and form your own opinion and post that.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

This mindset is one of the reasons my wife and I left Arlington County. We lived there for 24 years (my wife was born and raise in the county). But in the early 90's I began to see a serious deteriation. Our house backed up to Bluemount Park and every evening, I would walk the dog down past the tennis courts. We began to see Hispanic types loitering around the benches and the open area between the homes and the tennis courts. They would leave their trash and beer cans and bottles on the grass, sidewalk, and gutters. Before long, evening and weekend softball games turned into soccer with non-English speaking players. And soon, other things started happening. Like ******* along homeowner's fences and even fornicating under blankets within 5-10 yards of our property line!

Then Arlington got a new Chief of Police who seemed to think it would be a great idea for him to inspect homes in which owners had class 3 weapons (wonder if the thought ever occurred to him that whether or not a citizen legally owns a machine gun is none of his business?).

We also got a few new county council members, one of whom stated that, "If anyone raised in the 60's says they didn't do drugs, they're either lying or they didn't get out much". That really jerked my chain; the arrogant bastard.

A few years after escaping that dump of a county, I found out some rather interesting things. Seems some of the county employees would rig election results to favor democratic candidates. I got this information from a neighbor who worked on a contract in the Arlington government center (not sure which building or what agency). He also told me of some heavy handed police practices to get a little additional (illegal) funding.

Yep, Arlington is not what it used to be.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

bluedog20175 wrote:
    The following commentary was published in the Arlington Connection online following the Governor's ill-thought-out veto of the restaurant carry legislation. I commented in a letter to the editor the same day it was published, as it was just another poorly-informed hatchet job like the Loudoun Easterner.

I went back this week to show the column to someone and it wasn't there any more.

A note on Nick Penning's blog "Penning Thoughts" (sheesh) , noted: "After having two out of the last three columns (posted below) — ‘Honey Grab the Derringer’ and ‘The Dream Shall Never Die’ — rejected by the Arlington Connection, I’ve decided to cease that column and make more postings on this blog."

Could it just be no one was interested in Nick's thoughts at all.....

For the record, Nick Penning's column:

Grab the Derringer, Honey, We’re Taking the Kids to McDonalds
    March 5th, 2008 (Published in the Arlington Connection on 26 Feb 2008)

What fun, huh? What could be more ‘American’ than coming home after a long day and deciding to give yourselves a break and the kids a treat? And now the Republican-led House of Delegates in Richmond has made it even more fun, by approving — in a 62-26 vote — your right to pack a revolver in your pocket while the kids eat their fries.

What in God’s name is happening to our culture? Or should the question be, what are gun-obsessed politicians doing to our culture?

The bill in question SB 476, had been drafted to prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms into Virginia restaurants. Take a look at how a sensible prohibition against guns in eating establishments, especially those which serve alcohol, was twisted into a permit to carry a gun in such places. This is the wording of the bill, as changed by an amendment added before it passed (the original words are in italics; the added ones are in bold):

• No person shall carry who carries a concealed handgun onto the premises of any restaurant or club … which [has] a license to sell and serve alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption … may consume an alcoholic beverage while on the premises.

Clever, isn’t it? Just amend a well-intentioned “No person shall carry a concealed handgun” into a bar or restaurant, and bastardize it into its polar opposite by changing the language. It went from “no person ‘shall’ carry” a gun, to “no person ‘who’ carries” a gun; and then adding “may consume an alcoholic beverage” at the end.

From, you can’t carry a ‘concealed’ gun into an eating place; to, sure, you can carry a gun in your pocket; you just can’t drink.

This nefarious victory for the National Rifle Association, which is headquartered just outside Arlington in Fairfax County, came courtesy of Emmett W. Hanger, Jr., a Republican senator from Mount Solon, in the Shenandoah Valley southwest of Harrisonburg.

According to press reports, Governor Kaine feels he has to ‘review the details of the bill’ before deciding whether to sign or veto it.

Based on this bill’s provisions, apparently it’s already Ok for you to carry your handgun and holster outside your jacket wherever you go in the Commonwealth. The cause célèbre of gunsters now is hiding them, when you’re in public.

Thirty people were meticulously slaughtered by Virginia handguns at Virginia Tech less than a year ago. Have we learned nothing about the insanity of widespread, no limits possession of handguns in our state and country?

For most of us, this kind of lawmaking is under our radar. Bills fly through our Assembly and, were it not for the press, we’d rarely hear about any of them. Most of the time an entity with the strength of the NRA operates with the wind at its back, sailing its packages of public poison into laws, despite the good efforts of our local Arlington delegates and senators.

Until now things seemed to be changing, in our Virginia and in the nation. We evicted a Republican racist from one of our seats in the U.S. Senate, installing Jim Webb.

Virginia appeared to be joining the nation in ending the politics of violence and hate. Instead, the Assembly snapped a bit of hope from our lives and gave-in to the purveyors of handguns, the only purpose of which is to kill human beings. While rifles are used for hunting and can’t be concealed, easily purchased handguns fit nicely in any pocket and are used all over this gun-infested land to kill spouses, girlfriends, neighbors, and street crime victims. There’s a reason they’re termed “Saturday Night Specials,” since they can be found at virtually every crime scene in every city and village across the country.

And now Virginia, if the governor should fail to use his veto, could see a metastasizing of gun violence in bars and eateries all over the state, thanks to this insane legislation.

‘Sure, you can hide your gun under your shirt or in your bag; but we made certain everything will be safe in the restaurants,’ say those who voted for SB 476, ‘because you can’t drink while you’re packing a gun.’

So, when you’re arrested for killing someone in a late night shootout, heaven help you if you took a drink, because that’s illegal.

To keep this crazy idea out of our statutes, you might consider dropping Governor Kaine a note — at http://www.governor.virginia.gov or by mail to Office of the Governor, 1111 East Broad Street, Richmond 23219; or Phone: (804) 786-2211, or Fax: (804) 371-6351 — and asking him not to sign SB 476.

Maybe you and I can help this national change process by stopping the NRA here; by showing we reject the insanity of all guns, all the time; because they can only lead to more dead bodies too much of the time.

And, by the way, my column on uranium may have indicated I favor unchecked use of coal as our main energy source. I do not. For us to take advantage of our 200+ years’ supply of coal, we must first find a way to make its gaseous products clean and non-polluting.

Nick Penning (http://www.penningthoughts.com) is an Arlington freelance writer.

And my response:

To: arlington@connectionnewspapers.com; loudoun@connectionnewspapers.com
    Subject: RE: Nick Penning Column 2/26/2008
    Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:07:59 -0500

.ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
    {padding:0px;}
    .ExternalClass EC_body.hmmessage
    {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}

To the Editor:

To paraphraseNick Penning's quotein "Grab the Derringer, Honey, We’re Taking the Kids to McDonalds" (26 February 2008 column), "what in God’s name is happening to our culture" when a supposed journalist is permitted by your paperto use hiscolumn to blatantly distort facts and report on an issue that his writing shows heknows nothing about. I'm amazed that such a fact free and contentless piece of amature writing made it through your editorial process without being checked for accuracy, or even, shallwe say,truthfulness.

First and most blatantly, he doesn't realize that it is currently legal to openly carry firearms into any Virginia restaurant. The only time one cannot carry in a weapon is in the case of a"concealed" weapon being carried into place that serves alcohol. The law does allow you to openly carry a firearm into restaurant that serves alcohol. The law also allows you to carry concealed (or open) when you go to a place likeMcDonalds that does not serve alcoholic beverages.

Second, Mr. Penning suggests that it is the RepublicanHouse in Virginia that passed HB 476 by a wide margin of 62-26. He forgets to mention that the Democratic controlled Senate also passed the bill by amargin of 24-14. I'm pretty sure that is bipartisan support from both houses of the Virginia legislature.

What really offends me is that Mr. Penning goes to great lengths to present the illusion that Virginia concealed handgun permit owners go around committing crimes left and right. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, Virginia CHP holders are one of the most law-abiding segments of our population. The fact is, people with concealed carry permits are less likely than the general population to be arrested for any type of crime and that in states where the population is allowed to carry firearms, overall crime rates are lower than in states that prevent their citizens from exercising their rights. One only needs tolook at our neighbor DC, where handguns are illegal altogether, to see the validity of that fact.

Mr. Penning may not like guns. He may not want to learn to shoot, or to ever carry a gun for any purpose. That is his right and I defend his decision. However, there are thousands of Virginians whowish to exercise their right, and he should acknowledge their right to do so. I also suggest that should he wish to engage in debate on the right to keep and bear arms, that he do a little research and use some facts in hisarguments instead of trying to whip up supports through lies and half-truths.

This is Virginia,Mr. Penning. Virginians still have to right to carry firearms, both openly and concealed (with a CHP). CHP holders are trained, knowledgable, and aware. It is ridiculous for a person with a concealed weapon permit to call undue attention to themselves at a restaurant by unconcealing that weapon, just to be able to eat at a place that serves alcohol.

The Virginia legislature is right to correct that oversight in the law.

[bluedog20175]
    Leesburg, VA
    Very good reply sir.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

You forgot something, a duct tape alert.
    ETA: it must really suck for penny to be kicked to the curb by a small time uber liberal rag

Attached Images Attached Images