• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As a CHP holder, how do you buy a gun from a private owner?

Custodian

imported post

We are both NC LEO. So, exactly how would this process work? Do I have to get a permit? Purchase of sale? Keep receipts in an adamantium black box? Can anyone explain this process and give the law backings for it?

pipeman

imported post

NC law says that the purchaser must present a copy of a current handgun permit to the individual selling the handgun. It does not say it has to be an origional copy, maybe you could photocopy it. I have purchased several handguns from individuals but I dont hace a ccw, just don't see the need, it may be worth the 5 bucks to get a regular permit for the seller to hold on to cuz it's their ass on the line. Or just pay someone with an FFL to do the transfer it's usually only a20-30 dollar fee and you're both covered.