• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody hear of this guy?

imperialism2024

imported post

Seems interesting, but I take issue on three points:

-Line-Item Veto. This gives too much power to the Executive branch, allowing the President to pick and choose laws after they've been passed. If he only likes some parts and not others, veto it and send it back with notes on how to make it better.

-States' Rights. I'm as much a supporter of anyone of states' rights, but with federal protection of those certain, inalienable rights. From the posted page, he's unclear on how much federal oversight there would be on states, especially regarding "social issues". Let's face it: the government doesn't belong in social issues, whether it's federal, state, or local government.

-Immigration. I can understand white contempt for Spanish-speaking peoples, but that doesn't justify a ridiculous immigration policy. Making citizenship difficult and expensive is what is happening already... and just leads to the vast majority of immigrants staying illegal. Citizenship shouldn't be a nobility status in this country. It's also a bit inconsistant to praise small government while wanting to balloon it for the sake of making sure the Mexicans can't jump the fence, just to pursue that personal vendetta.

Just my take...

Flintlock

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Seems interesting, but I take issue on three points:

-Line-Item Veto. This gives too much power to the Executive branch, allowing the President to pick and choose laws after they've been passed. If he only likes some parts and not others, veto it and send it back with notes on how to make it better.

-States' Rights. I'm as much a supporter of anyone of states' rights, but with federal protection of those certain, inalienable rights. From the posted page, he's unclear on how much federal oversight there would be on states, especially regarding "social issues". Let's face it: the government doesn't belong in social issues, whether it's federal, state, or local government.

-Immigration. I can understand white contempt for Spanish-speaking peoples, but that doesn't justify a ridiculous immigration policy. Making citizenship difficult and expensive is what is happening already... and just leads to the vast majority of immigrants staying illegal. Citizenship shouldn't be a nobility status in this country. It's also a bit inconsistant to praise small government while wanting to balloon it for the sake of making sure the Mexicans can't jump the fence, just to pursue that personal vendetta.

Just my take...

Imperialism, He didn't state that he would balloon government to secure borders. He mentioned cutting and shrinking just about every department of government and dramatically decereasing foreign aide. That would easily pay for a sound border defense policy.Frankly, instead of protecting the borders of other nations we should be protecting our own, militarily. It's a drain on all tax-payers and a constitutional crisis to not protect our borders from invasion. I can only imagine what it is like for a property owner on the border that has his land and homesteadoverrun with criminals.

As for the states, they don't have rights. Only people can have rights. Government only has powers that are specifically listed in the constitution of the US and each individual state constitutions. Although, I do agree thatthose issues mentioned should behandled on a state level asthey are violations of the tenth amendment, in my opinion.