• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Introduction

Sword

imported post

Hey folks, I'm Sword. Resident of Cincinnati and used to be an avid shooter and proponent of OC and CCW. I've been out of the game, as it were, for about 5 or 6 years now and I'm just now getting back into the frey.

A little of my firearms related resume:
U.S. Army 82-88
Former NRA pistol, rifle and shotgun instructor / range safety officer
Formerly Licensed Armed Security and Body Guard
Former Fugitive Recovery Agent

Now I'm semi retired working as an Audio Engineer at a club in downtown Cinci.
Working towards getting my CCW and going to start OC.

Other than that, I'm an avid motorcyclist or "biker" and a bit of a character.

I'm enjoying all of your posts and learning quite a bit. A lots changed since I was actively involved in issues relating to 2A and guns in general.
Keep up the great work and thanks.

Pauly

imported post

Welcome!! I have been here since late last year and have learned so much already. This is truly a very special place. I live a bit north from your home town but maybe one day we'll have an 'Ohio OC day' or something and I'll be able to shake your hand in person. I don't know what kind of bike you ride but here are some pictures of mine. I can't wait until this damn snow is finally finished for the season. I am slowly going insane this winter.

gemmamidoh.2.jpg

748.jpg

SWhetsel

imported post

Welcome!
Always cool to welcome another member interested in their rights.
Where where you stationed in the Army?

Pauly - I didn't even realize you rode. Mayhaps a "ride in" event can be worked out. I ride a GSXR and live 15 min from you. Might be a cool event to coordinate. I think we should ensure what the laws on transport is with a bike. I have a CCW so I'm covered, but Im not sure what we would do for those that don't. (plus bikes like yours don't even have a little "trunk" under the back seat area)

PS I was out and riding last week on that freak 60 degree day we had, right before we got crapped on with this two feet of snow. Only in Ohio...

Sword

imported post

Thanks fellas,

I was a weekend warrior(12B10C). Lost in the woods (Leonardwood) for Basic and AIT. Then with the 478th Engineers in Ft. Thomas, Ky. Transferred to 83rd ARCOM Aviation support facility at Port Columbus with the 364th Engineers (Aviation). We also supported 2nd BN 11th SFG.

I ride an '05 Honda VTX 1300R/S, for now. Nice Duc by the way.
If you guys are into sport bikes, you might want to check out http://CustomFighters.com Great folks there and some really nice bikes.

This site is fantastic. I can't believe all the info and resources. It's going to make educating myself and those around me much easier.

Thanks again for the replies. :celebrate

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

A big welcome from Virginia, Sword. It's nice to see how this place is reallygrowing since it started not that long ago. I used to be able to read every post without getting behind on my work, but now I have to be content to skim the "recent" page.

So what is your main carry gun, and what kind of holster do you use?

SWhetsel

imported post

Good old Lost-in-the-woods. I had basic and ait there as well, 31B (was 95B) Military Police. Hated that place with all I was, crappy weather was their claim to fame. I've been in the reserves since 03' recently returned from a deployment. I still have another 1 1/2 years in my contract. I'm in the 447th MP Co out of Canton, OH. But enough of my jiberish, WELCOME!!!

v8shoguy

imported post

eSWhetsel wrote:
Pauly - I didn't even realize you rode. Mayhaps a "ride in" event can be worked out. I ride a GSXR and live 15 min from you. Might be a cool event to coordinate. I think we should ensure what the laws on transport is with a bike. I have a CCW so I'm covered, but Im not sure what we would do for those that don't. (plus bikes like yours don't even have a little "trunk" under the back seat area)
I would say that plenty of people here probably ride, I sure do :) I don't know what the legalities of this are, but in OH I transport in the "trunk" under my rear seat. on the '04 R6 it's impossible to get to without pulling the keys out of the ignition, which is impossible to do while still on the bike. In KY it's stored on my left hip. I'll get a friend to take a pic next time I'm out that way.

Sword

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
A big welcome from Virginia, Sword. It's nice to see how this place is reallygrowing since it started not that long ago. I used to be able to read every post without getting behind on my work, but now I have to be content to skim the "recent" page.

So what is your main carry gun, and what kind of holster do you use?
Thanks OC-Glock19,

Truth be told, I don't have a side arm at present. I always was a 1911 fan and I'm currently looking for a Colt Commander to hot rod again, or something similar.

I've owned and carried Colt, Kimber, Springfield and H&K all in .45 acp. My top two would have to be Colt and Springfield. H&K are to big for my hands and I had a bad experience with Kimber back when they were relatively young, which left a bad taste. I was at the range practicing draw and fire and the safety snapped off under my thumb. I know people love their Kimbers but....

As far as carry, I've used standard duty holsters, pancake, sob, iwb and cross draw. I really like sob but with a typical 1911 it tends to pull my britches down.

Before I dropped out of carrying and the need to carry, I usually just went with iwb for concealed or cross draw when oc'n. Not sure how I'll end up carrying at this point considering I have a little more padding around my midsection these days.

Any advice or opinions are more than welcome. The last time I carried was before CCW was even voted on the first time in Ohio. So it's been a while.

Thanks again for the welcome folks. I look forward to talking, meeting and maybe riding with you in the near future.

Legba

imported post

Count me out of an OC ride - bikes scare the hell out of me. Lovely thought though.

Welcome to the forum all the same.

-ljp

Pauly

imported post

Sword wrote:
Nice Duc by the way.
If you guys are into sport bikes, you might want to check out http://CustomFighters.com Great folks there and some really nice bikes.

I like street fighters and have been on that site before. I hope that my bike will never look like one. And I appreciate you saying 'sport bike' and not 'crotch rocket.' May sound stupid to some people but that term really gets my goat.

Sword

imported post

I get it. I have friends who hate the term as well. If I had my druthers I'd have a Duc, Busa or similar sittin in the driveway too. And a motard and a nice American Twin. Next in line is a Sporty though. I've been wanting to build a lil bar hoppin springer for quite a while and I think I'm gonna start with that platform. This is all after I find my Colt and get my CCW. Those are my priorities at the moment.

If anyone runs across a Colt Commander in relatively decent condition for sale, hit me up. I'm po folk so price is an object, but I can do a little smithing and I love building them up.

Also, if anyone knows someone who gives the CCW class relatively cheap in the Cincinnati area, both my lady and I need the certificate.

As far as an OC ride and get together. That sounds like a great idea.

And Reef, if ya ever want to hit the twisties let me know. I'm usually up for a ride.

Legba

imported post

The Hamilton Police Department offers the CCW class for $65 (the application after you get the certificate is another$55 now, I think). Their main non-emergency # is 513-868-5811. Ask for Sgt. Ed Buns (yes, his real name). He can send you info on the next session. They have about one class a month, but it's worth it for the savings over private classes, which typically run twice as much.

-ljp