• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Problem with Glock

KnightSG7

imported post

Hello all,

Ok my friend bought a Glock and OC's every day, wellyesterday he pulled the mag out, and went to rack the slide back to unload the one in the chamber, and it went off...

Everytime he racks the slide back now it will go off, happend 4 times at the range then he just went home because it was not working.

...any ideas?

ps. Finger NOWHERE near trigger each time, the Glock even did it to me.

pps. Glock 19

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Thats a new one to me, but sounds serious enough that I would send it to be fixed by Glock, yesterday.

Carolina40

imported post

Q: is he using factory issues mags?

Q: what kind of ammo?

Q: has he had any "work" done --- anything, sites adjusted, etc....

I eject the round from thechamber everytime I take my G27 off --- no issues.

get that thing to Glock asap!!

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

I am a little confused. When you pull the slide back, does it fire the round before the round is pulled out of the chamber? Is it coming half way out before firing?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
I am a little confused. When you pull the slide back, does it fire the round before the round is pulled out of the chamber? Is it coming half way out before firing?
Great question. I was trying to figure out how this was happening, too.

KnightSG7

imported post

Federal ammo, everything is stock/untouched and they are the origional mags.

WhatI ment was, the SECOND the slide is out of battery before you fully rack it back, it will go off, the instant it starts to go back..

I think it is releasing something causing the firing pin to strike.

But i am not sure...

He sent it to Glock this morning, i will let you all know when we find out what is wrong.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't spent a lot of time with Glocks and have only disassembled one, one time. Trying to recall the internals in my mind's eye.

Doesn't that sound like a case of the sear not holding the striker as the striker is partially cocked by racking? IIRC from dry firing, you only need to rack it about 1/2" to cock the striker. If the sear doesn't hold, the striker, even with less than the full power provided by finishing the cocking action with trigger pull, obviously has enough force to fire the cartridge.

lildobe

Pittsburgh (Beechview), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I haven't spent a lot of time with Glocks and have only disassembled one, one time. Trying to recall the internals in my mind's eye.

Doesn't that sound like a case of the sear not holding the striker as the striker is partially cocked by racking? IIRC from dry firing, you only need to rack it about 1/2" to cock the striker. If the sear doesn't hold, the striker, even with less than the full power provided by finishing the cocking action with trigger pull, obviously has enough force to fire the cartridge.

This still doesn't explain the firing pin safety being released - that requires the trigger to be pulled - and that requires that the trigger safety be released.

I too am extremely interested to hear what Glock has to say about this - in my experience working on several Glock firearms (including a 19) what he's describing is practically impossible. Yes, the seer could slip off of the cocked firing pin, but for it to strike the round's primer, the firing pin safety (a block of metal that sits in front of the firing pin) has to be pushed up by the trigger mechanism.

Unless the owner of the firearm disassembled it completely and then failed to reassemble it properly... which is of course a possibility.