• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a motorcyle

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

It is legal. Since you do not yet have your permit, make sure it is clearly visible, and unloaded. Standard stuff there. Any word on the Maine permit yet?

rocknsnow

imported post

Well I am assuming that the Maine Permit is just being processed. They said they send it back if it is no good real quick. It has been about a month now. I should call out there and see if I can find out the status on it.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I thought OC in a vehicle without a permit wasn't allowed here...Maybe I'm just uninformed...

You are 100% right.

This from the BCI web site

http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html

[align=center][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]CARRYING [/align]
Format page for printing
IN PERSON
It is unlawful for a person with a firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in the following locations:

• Any secure area in which firearms are prohibited and notice of the prohibition is posted
  • A secure area of an airport
  • Any courthouse, churches if posted, mental health facility or correctional facility that may provide by rule that no firearm may be transported, sold, given, or possessed upon the facility. At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to a secure area in which a dangerous weapon, firearm, or explosive is restricted
A concealed weapon permit is not a defense to prosecution for any person who carries a weapon while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is lawful to carry a firearm "capable of being concealed" in one’s home or place of business without a permit.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on any public street without a permit.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is unlawful to carry a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance with or without a permit.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]CARRYING IN VEHICLES[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Only a peace officer in the performance of his duty or a person with a valid permit to carry may carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is unlawful for a person without a concealed firearms permit to carry a concealed firearm into a bus terminal.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is lawful for a person with a concealed firearm permit to board a bus or a train or enter a terminal with a concealed firearm upon their person or effects. This also applies to law enforcement officers or commercial security personnel with firearms used in their employment.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]It is lawful to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a permit if: the firearm is unloaded; securely encased (not including a glove box or console box) and is not readily accessible for immediate use.[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Return to Concealed Firearm Permit Laws--[/font]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Return to Concealed Firearm Permit Home Page[/font]

"A Right UnExercised IS a Right Lost"

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
I thought OC in a vehicle without a permit wasn't allowed here...Maybe I'm just uninformed...

But is a motorcycle a VEHICLE ???

According to this http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-394358/motorcycleit is.

motorcycle (vehicle)
thistle.gif
Encyclopædia Britannica : Related Articles

A selection of articles discussing this topic.

Main article: motorcycle
any two-wheeled or, less commonly, three-wheeled motor vehicle, usually propelled by an internal-combustion engine.

So according to the Law or "lack" of it , you then should be able to be on a bicycle and OC without a "Permit", but NOT on a motorcycle cuz it's a VEHICLE

UTOC-45-44

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
It is legal. Since you do not yet have your permit, make sure it is clearly visible, and unloaded. Standard stuff there. Any word on the Maine permit yet?

It's NOT legal based on what BCI stated. Read what I copied from their website.

TJ

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

As long as the firearm is UNLOADED in UNCONCEALED, it is lawful.

[font="<!--"]76-10-502. When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile in the firing position.
(2) Pistols and revolvers shall also be deemed to be loaded when an unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile is in a position whereby the manual operation of any mechanism once would cause the unexpended cartridge, shell, or projectile to be fired.
(3) A muzzle loading firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinders. [/font]
[font="<!--"]
76-10-504. Carrying concealed dangerous weapon -- Penalties.
(1) Except as provided in Section 76-10-503 and in Subsections (2) and (3):
(a) a person who carries a concealed dangerous weapon, as defined in Section 76-10-501, which is not a firearm on his person or one that is readily accessible for immediate use which is not securely encased, as defined in this part, in a place other than his residence, property, or business under his control is guilty of a class B misdemeanor; and
(b) a person without a valid concealed firearm permit who carries a concealed dangerous weapon which is a firearm and that contains no ammunition is guilty of a class B misdemeanor, but if the firearm contains ammunition the person is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.[/font]
[font="<!--"]
76-10-505.
Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

The BCI can write whatever they want, but if there is no law that prohibits something, then it is legal. It looks like the BCI left the word concealed out of that last sentence.
[/font][font="<!--"]
[/font]

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've been reading the law for a couple days now, and seem to agree that it's legal to OC on a Motorcycle...I tend to think that the same phrasology that makes "Unloaded" OC on a street legal also makes it legal in a vehicle...(or rather the lack of phrasology) [font="<!--"]
76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm: (a) in or on a vehicle; (b) on any public street; or (c) in a posted prohibited area. (2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
So by default, unloaded OC without a permit is not prohibited in a vehicle, on a street, or in a posted prohibited area.

[/font]
The phrase that BCI uses
It is lawful to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a permit if: the firearm is unloaded; securely encased (not including a glove box or console box) and is not readily accessible for immediate use.
comes from the definition of securely encased...and is never specifically applied to any group of people...
(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.
I can't find anything requiring an unloaded firearm to be "securely encased" while in a vehicle.

There is one line that makes me think you would be prosecuted if you carry in a car...but not on a Motorcycle!
76-10-501. Definitions.

(2) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.
http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C030.htm

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

TJ
I sent the following question to the BCI on their online contact form...

On http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html you infer that the only lawful way to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a permit is if: "the firearm is unloaded; securely encased (not including a glove box or console box) and is not readily accessible for immediate use." I cannot find any code that restricts me from carrying an unloaded unconcealed firearm on my hip in a vehicle without a permit...Can you please direct me to the code you used to come the that conclusion?
I'll let you know what they say.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:

TJ
I sent the following question to the BCI on their online contact form...

On jaredbelch

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
BTW...,it looks like I'm gonna take a class to get my Motorcycle License 04/05/08:celebrate

TJ
I took a class last fall, best $180 -ish dollars I've ever spent.
It's $150 for the class and $27 for the license

Didn't get back enough on the taxes. So I won't be able to take the MC class:uhoh:

TJ

UTOC-45-44

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
BTW...,it looks like I'm gonna take a class to get my Motorcycle License 04/05/08:celebrate

TJ

Didn't get back enough on the taxes. So I won't be able to take the MC class:uhoh:

TJ

Taking my MC classes this week.:celebrate

Wednesday Night 6Pm - 9PM

SaturdayDay7Am - 5Pm

Sunday Day 7Am - 5Pm

I can have my MC license by next week:celebrate

Trying to get a desent MC around $1000

Any ideas anyone

Want to OC with MCing:lol:

TJ

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
UTOC-45-44 wrote:

TJ

TJ

Taking my MC classes this week.:celebrate

Wednesday Night 6Pm - 9PM

SaturdayDay7Am - 5Pm

Sunday Day 7Am - 5Pm

I can have my MC license by next week:celebrate

Trying to get a desent MC around $1000

Any ideas anyone

Want to OC with MCing:lol:

TJ
I'll go on an OC motorcycle ride any time you want! I do it quite regularly now.

scorpioajr

imported post

"""On http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFLCarry.html you infer that the only lawful way to carry a firearm in a vehicle without a permit is if: "the firearm is unloaded; securely encased (not including a glove box or console box) and is not readily accessible for immediate use." I cannot find any code that restricts me from carrying an unloaded unconcealed firearm on my hip in a vehicle without a permit..."""

BUMP - im interested in the answer. Cant have both laws, right? i mean, is BCI's word = to a law?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Open carry on a motorcycle is legal. If you do not have a permit, the firearm must be visible, and unloaded. Remember, the BCI are not lawmakers.