• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.380 or 9mm?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Generally speaking, you'll find that the more knowledgeable gun writers would tell you that the .380ACP is at the bottom of the ladder in terms of a defensive caliber, even in its hottest loadings. And those of us in the gun culture would tell you the same thing.

There is a rule of thumb with defensive handguns in this respect. Carry the most powerful defensive caliber that you can bring to battery and deliver effective fire to your target. This encompasses a number of variables and considerations, to be sure. But along with this are the compromises you should be willing to take when viewed in the light of potentially saving your life.

A good 9mm defensive load is far superior to a good .380ACP load. Just look at the ballistics tables or do some research on the effectiveness of the two calibers in actual shootings. Instead of opting for the P3AT Kel-Tec, or similar item, you might want to consider a Kahr PM9 or MK9, or perhaps a Glock 26. I do own and occasionally carry a P3AT Kel-Tec when the need demands it. It is better than a hammer, but certainly not my first choice.

One final piece of advice. Listen to what your fellow site members are trying to tell you and don't cop an attitude. They are only trying to help you with your question and decision.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

We have 4 caliburs at our house: 22LR, 7.62X25(close to 380), 9mm, and 45ACP. My wife prefers the 9mm(G17C), because it offers her better control. The compensation helps but even with a non-compensated barrel in place it still gives her better control. It boils down to which firearm she chooses to purchase. Good Luck.:cool: As said previously 9mm cheaper which allows more range time.

Euromutt

imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
If I offer my input, the wife, of the husband/wife duo, is the one I speak with.
Makes sense. After all, theoretically, you and he are performing the same function: assisting the wife in making her own decision in choosing a firearm.

It usually irritates the husband, as he had intentions of buying her a .38 revolver. Remember, women do all that stuff with a car, yet they can't operatethe slide of a semi-auto (in those guys' minds).
Yeah, I never can understand the mindset that acknowledges that a woman can have sufficient mechanical aptitude to flawlessly operate a car with a manual transmission, and at the same time thinks that a semi-auto is too complex for her to operate. Speaking for myself, it took me a lot more effort to learn to drive stick than it did to learn to operate firearms.

There have been generations of European conscripts whose first experience handling any kind of firearm has been a service-issue semi-auto, and they've generally done all right. Insofar as I've seen problems with trainees handling firearms, they've been violations of the Four Rules, and that kind of thing can't be fixed just by giving the trainee a mechanically simpler weapon.

And you have to wonder (with some dcespondency) how many potential gun enthusiasts have been turned off over the years by being pushed toward a weapon they didn't want. The .38 revolver thing resonates with me because I don't personally care for revolvers very much (not least because I'm a southpaw), and if someone had insistently steered me toward a revolver when what would have made me happy was a 9mm semi-auto, I might have been inclined to go "the hell with it."

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
One final piece of advice. Listen to what your fellow site members are trying to tell you and don't cop an attitude. They are only trying to help you with your question and decision.
Who are you talking to?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Going to the gun show Sunday with the fiancee and she is going to see if she finds something she likes. I'm going to take the advice from the last few posts and just shut up unless she asks me a question.
Wise man indeed! Hope you let her know that she has your full support in her selection. Let us know what she choose.

Yata hey

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

What mostly exists out there as far as the caliber debates is psuedoscience in my opinion.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm

(FBI study, theyeventuallywent with the 10mm for its power, and then went down to the .40 because the 10mm was too much recoil.)

In my opinion, if the round can penetrate to major organs its good enough.The most important thing is scoring good hits. Only hitscausingsubstantial damage to thecentral nervous systemcan gaurantee to stop an attacker.

Overpenetration is meaningless unless you are worried about damaging whatever is behind the target. A bigger concern should be missing the target as its far more likely. Exit holes are bigger than enterance holes. You want exit holes. After penetrating a target, a bullet loses substantial energy and whatever is behind it won't get a full force round.

Marginal increases in performance yield marginal increases in effectiveness. Most calibers out there will get the job done.

My choice, .357 magnum, is no wimpy caliber by my standards, but I wouldn't feel underarmed with a .380. I agree with the others here, let her choose what she is most comfortable with. If it were me, 9mm would be far preferable, especially bieng cheaper to shoot and better ballistically.

Just my opinions.

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Very cool report, thanks! I'll stick with my .45, but may just go with EFMJ after reading this. Have to try some out!

Hands down, my favorite section is this one:

An issue that must be addresses is the fear of overpenetration widely expressed on the part of law enforcement. The concern that a bullet would pass through the body of a subject and injure an innocent bystander is clearly exaggerated. Any review of law enforcement shootings will reveal that the great majority of shots fired by officers do not hit any subjects at all. It should be obvious that the relatively few shots that do hit a subject are not somehow more dangerous to bystanders than the shots that miss the subject entirely.

LSHIH! Laughing So Hard It Hurts!!!

Dahwg

imported post

My wife has beengoing through this same conundrum for the past month. As much as people say caliber doesn't matter, I have one thing to say... she's been shooting a .25 for the past 7 years. Tooks some doing, but I finally convinced her that she needed to dump the round.

I was hoping she'd go with 9mm because it's just plain cheaper to shoot, she did her homework, tried some different pistols and decided (on her own, no help from me) to go with the Bersa .380. Larger framed .380 with relatively low felt recoil and the biggest thing for her- she can rack the slide without exerting herculean effort.

I did convince her to go for the higher cap version- though she feels the double stack plus version is too fat for her hand and she was awkward in reaching the safety, she may go with the Deluxe (9+1 in the barrel).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Going to the gun show Sunday with the fiancee and she is going to see if she finds something she likes. I'm going to take the advice from the last few posts and just shut up unless she asks me a question.
Wise man indeed! Hope you let her know that she has your full support in her selection. Let us know what she choose.

Yata hey
Gun show was disappointing. My neighbor and I went to the show while the "wives" went shopping and they were going to meet us in about an hour at the show. Show was disappointing so we just met them for lunch and then they continued shopping instead. Probably would have spent less money at the gun show. :what:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I took my friend to the gun shop this weekend to hold a couple difference handguns and see what she liked. She didn't have a problem cycling any of the slides, which is good. We looked at a Walther PPK/s for reference since she was familiar with it. We then looked at a few bersas, glocks, and S&Ws. The guy was eagerly helping and offering advice, and was mostly taking out smaller, compact handguns to show her.

Since she seemed a little confused about the different trigger actions, so I showed her the PPK/s again for an example of DA/SA, then an M&P for the DAO. I then showed her a Kimber 1911 to let her pull the SA trigger, and her eyes lit up. She started asking what kind of gun it was, how it worked, and so on. We talked about how it was a .45, and it was larger so it wouldn't be as easy to carry all the time. She said she didn't care, she wants a 1911!lol So yeah, she's getting a 1911. So much for .380 vs 9mm lol!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
She choose a 1911 in 45acp.:lol:

Agent19 wrote:
You might be surprised by her decision,
Glad to hear she made a decision.:D
lol Yeah. We'll be heading to the range in about an hour to to test fire a .45 to see if she can handle it. She didn't like the .40, complaining that it flipped too much, BUT she was as accurate with that as she was with the .380. I'm hoping the .45 wont flip as much as the .40 for her. I'll tell you right now, though, I'm gonna be seriously ticked if she gets a 1911 before I do!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Well we rented and shot a standard Kimber Custom II, heavily broken in :D. She wanted me to shoot it first so she could see that it wasn't going to jump out of her hands. My first shot, aimed at the head, took out the "5" in the center. From that point on I was grinning :D. I emptied the magazine and put her on it. She immediately smiled and said "hell yeah! I want this gun!" lol. This was the second time she's ever shot a gun, and every shot hit the torso. I let her shoot my .40 a little bit to compare, and she agreed that the .40 snapped up a lot more than the .45. SO that's that! Now she's just gotta decide which 1911 to buy lol.

MontanaCZ

imported post

I was heading down this thread, and then laughing by the end. My wife makes up her own mind, and the gun shop owner loves her.. :)

Anway, she carries a Kimber Compact in .45acp. Good luck to ya.. :) Just get your friend there some classes and she should be fine. If you do get a new one, get a case of ammo and shoot it all before you call it good.

-MTCZ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

MontanaCZ wrote:
I was heading down this thread, and then laughing by the end. My wife makes up her own mind, and the gun shop owner loves her.. :)

Anway, she carries a Kimber Compact in .45acp. Good luck to ya.. :) Just get your friend there some classes and she should be fine. If you do get a new one, get a case of ammo and shoot it all before you call it good.

-MTCZ

Oh believe me I know how to break in a carry gun. As far as the compact .45, I tried showing her them, but she insisted on the full-sized 1911. She loves the way it looks as much as it shoots.

She's thinking of the RIA Tactical, partially because of my own influence. She needs an ambi-safety since she's a lefty, and neither of us think she should spend over $800 for her first gun. She glanced briefly at the Taurus, exclaimed it was ugly, and moved on.:D I also told her that if she bought the RIA Tac and ended up not liking it, I'd buy it from her, so she'd have an out. That's what I'll be picking up, and even if I've already purchased my own, I wouldn't mind having two ;).

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
MontanaCZ wrote:

-MTCZ

Oh believe me I know how to break in a carry gun. As far as the compact .45, I tried showing her them, but she insisted on the full-sized 1911. She loves the way it looks as much as it shoots.

She's thinking of the RIA Tactical, partially because of my own influence. She needs an ambi-safety since she's a lefty, and neither of us think she should spend over $800 for her first gun. She glanced briefly at the Taurus, exclaimed it was ugly, and moved on.:D I also told her that if she bought the RIA Tac and ended up not liking it, I'd buy it from her, so she'd have an out. That's what I'll be picking up, and even if I've already purchased my own, I wouldn't mind having two ;).

Does she have a Twin sister ? ;):celebrate

TJ

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

...Or she'll get a RIA Tactical 1911 :D. She liked shooting the single action 1911...so do I! Whatever brand she gets, it'll be a SA 1911. If/when she starts looking at any sort of DA platform, I'll highly suggest she looks for a DA/SA. I just don't like DAO triggers at all lol.