Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Afghanistan

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Greetings from afghanistan

I've been here for almost two weeks and so far so good. I hope everyone back home is doing well. I've been outside the wire twice so far to meet with the locals, they are very interesting people. Open carry here is quite common, as is negligent discharges (i am told). We were told to avoid folks carrying rifles not for the fact that they may be taliban or what not, but because they may accidentally shoot you because their weapons handling is so poor. I am happy to report however that I have not been hassled for my long gun and pistol open carry by the local po po, quite the opposite, they like to take pictures with you :P. Many of them have even blinged out their AK with some sort of green and red reflective tape over the furniture. Well thats all I have for now, enjoy the photos. Oh, almost forgot, I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?

My interpreter (in the hat)

Post imported post

I can't help but laugh at the second picture. It looks like Fidel as already found a new job, and getting out of public service seems to have taken years off him.

Post imported post

Thanks for your service and taking the time to share your experiences and pictures.

Post imported post

Good to see you are safe. Good friend of mine just got back from 10 months of being stationed over there.

How do you like the EOTech? I am building an AR and that is an optics option along with the ACOG.

Post imported post

Hi Brian - sounds like you're adjusting well!! I went over to your old compound last week and saw your name on the poster as you walk in. The pictures you postedare great - keep them coming. Take care buddy and keep your head down...

Post imported post

Proud of you man, be safe come home soon.

Post imported post

Stay safe and keep up the good work hooah

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks Reverend for your brave service.

You honor all Americans and you and your comrades have my most sincere gratitude.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    Good to see you are safe. Good friend of mine just got back from 10 months of being stationed over there.

How do you like the EOTech? I am building an AR and that is an optics option along with the ACOG.
    I love it, they issued us an Aimpoint, which while about double the price, is nowhere near as good as the EoTech, in my opinion. The field of view of the eotech is much better than the aimpoint, and I much prefer the reticle. I briefly thought about getting an ACOG, but I dont really see the need for a 3x power optic. Most likely any firefight we get into will be less than 300m, past that the 5.56 round isn't very effective anyway. We got Ma Duece for that.

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?

I believe his court date is 3/25, that is what he stated in his last post regarding his required appearance.

danbus wrote:
    My court is continued again until 3/25/08.

Gotta love the system.
    I'll check on the price of the Eotech 557 for you (have a friend that was/is a distributor).
    Donations will be required.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:

I love mine. I had buyers remorse at first because it was so damn expensive, but when I took it out to the range on the bushy M4, that remorse quickly went away. Easy and fast zeroing, really bright when you want it to be, and an insane battery life.

Post imported post

Rev,
    Thank you for your service. We're all there with you in spirit. Here's hoping you don't need to use your 5.56 for anything. I'd much prefer you engage the Taliban at distance with the .50 !

Keep your spirits up. At least they didn't deploy you to some completely out-of-control place like Washington DC !

Dutch

Post imported post

Thank you for your service and do be safe over there.

Be sure to get a ton of rifle OC over there because that kind of thing does not go over well back here in Virginia!

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Reverend73 wrote:
    I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?

I believe his court date is 3/25, that is what he stated in his last post regarding his required appearance.

danbus wrote:
    My court is continued again until 3/25/08.

Gotta love the system.
    I'll check on the price of the Eotech 557 for you (have a friend that was/is a distributor).
    Donations will be required.
    I'm in for an upgraded optic for our captian in the sandbox!

Post imported post

VApatriot wrote:
    I can't help but laugh at the second picture. It looks like Fidel as already found a new job, and getting out of public service seems to have taken years off him.
    Haha I immediately thought the same thing with the second picture

Secondly, thank you for your service, and stay safe!

Post imported post

Bulldog1967 wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    I'll check on the price of the Eotech 557 for you (have a friend that was/is a distributor). Donations will be required.
    I'm in for an upgraded optic for our captian in the sandbox!
    We are too!!!

Post imported post

I'll post went I get a reply back about price.

If my friend is no longer a dealer/distributor, we will have to purchase one retail(>$500+ shipping to BFA):X.

Here is the specs on the Eotech 557 for those that aren't familiar.

The new 557.AR223 has been developed to optimize the functionality of the HWS. The buttons have been moved from the back to the left side for instant access, allowing a magnifier, night vision, or a back up iron sight to fight closely to the HWS body. This new button position allows the user to operate the HWS function switches easier than ever before. Additionally, a portion of the front base has been raised to allow the sight to fit over standard hand guards found on many M-4 or M-16 style weapons.

The 557.AR223 is configured with a new ballistic matching reticle image for the M4 carbine. The battle tested circle/dot reticle will be offered along with a series of 1 MOA aiming dots that are vertically aligned and calibrated specifically for the ballistic drop of .223 caliber ammunition. This reticle provides 4 aiming dots for target distances of 0-300m, 400m, 500m, and 600m

Rev or would you perfer a different model?
    EOTech HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight Model Differences:

Model
    510 (511 - M511/512 - M512)

510 AA (511 - M511/512 - M512)

510 (511 - M511/512 - M512) Less Lethal

550 (551 - M551/552 - M552)

550AA (551 - M551/552 - M552) SU-231/PEQ M553

557 / M557

Night Vision Compatible:

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Waterproof & Submersible:

To 10 ft depth

To 10 ft depth

To 10 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

To 66 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

Battery:

N Alkaline

AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

N Alkaline

N Alkaline

AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

2 x 123 lithium batteries

2 x AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

Battery Life (setting 12):

200 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

200 hours battery life

200 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

1000 hours battery life

Length of sight:

4 inches (102 mm)

5 inches (131 mm)

4 inches (102 mm)

4 inches (102 mm)

5 inches (131 mm)

4.9 inches (124 mm)

5.7 inches (133 mm)

Reticle Options:

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot or single 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65MOA circle with quadrant ticks with 1 MOA aiming dot

AR223 Reticle

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Guys,

Thank you so much for the offer, but I really do not need a new EoTech as my current 552 is working great (see pic below:P). I really do feel very humbled by the offers. If you guys really want to help, there are 39 or so navy personel (mostly junior enlisted) and 38 or so Army security force personelthat are in our team (Provincial Reconstruction Team Sharana) that I'm sure would devour any care package you wish to send. If you wish to do so send it to me and I will distribute

Brian Sneed (don't put rank)

PRT Sharana

FOB Sharana

APO, AE 09311

We had a USO tour drop by today, with Kelly Hu, Maria Menounos, and some guy from the Sopranos.

Post imported post

Will do.

Stay Safe.

~Alan Korwin

State Researcher

Post imported post

On another forum I am part of a group supporting some guys stationed out in Kunar province and the generosity of people offering to send packages and donating money for gear is amazing, I estimate that so far we have sent well over $5k of gear over to them (flashlights for everyone in the company, rugged PDAs with ballistic software for the snipers, IR torches, boresnakes, and lots of treats for the dogs they adopted ).

Thank you for your service and stay safe over there.

P.S. How about this for open carry :what::celebrate:celebrate

(the guy pictured recently killed a Taliban 1.3 miles away with that Barrett)

Post imported post

Brian,
    Do your guys carry the Beretta M9? I've heard stories about the government supplying them with (lower cost) after-market mags that don't work as reliably as the factory mags. We could certainly get up some dough and send over a buttload of the real ones. And let us know what kind of things you all would like in a care package. (I've never packed for a trip over there so it's hard to know.)

Dutch

P.S. Are gently used gun mags of any interest?

Post imported post

Love the "McLovin" name tag, had just seen the movie and that name jumped right out at me.

God Bless you for your service and a speedy, healthy return.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Dutch, our team was issued brand new M9s with brand new berretta mags. So we are pretty good on mags. I have to give it up for the army, they issued us top notch gear. We got brand new M4s with Knights Armament Picatinny rail forends, Aimpoint CompM4 optic (not a fan personally, but a damn fine optic), Surefire forend light with IR filter, and a PEC2 (i think) IR iluminator and laser system (I don't keep this mounted as its heavy and bulky though it is in my assault bag).

A lot of the guys have gotten the Blackhawk serpa drop-leg hoster system and are always asking me where I got my mag holder for it ( for those in VaBeach, I got mine at Extreme Outfitters up on Shore Drive). The one I have is blackhawks new design (attaches with screws and has a flap that buttons over the mag, see pic below) because the previous picatinny mounted mag holders were apparently breaking. I know of at least 10 guys that need these (we have one person that requests one in desert tan, there are about 10 guys with foliage green, and 2 with black, but beggars cant be choosers so I'm sure they'd be happy with any color available). We are also short on thumb drives (the local mini px/bx doesnt carry them and supply is out, estimating 8 wks) so if anyone has the hookup on those they would be much appreciated. Lightly used gun mags would be great as well, just dont send any nudie mags. Also, we build a lot of schools and medical clinics here and the folks are dirt poor, so if anyone has a source for school supplies (pens, pencils, crayons, paper, etc) that we can hand out, that would be good too. We dont need anything for dogs or cats though, we're not allowed to touch or even be near them. Thank you all

Brian

Post imported post

Thanks for serving. Stay Safe!

Post imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
    I know of at least 10 guys that need these (we have one person that requests one in desert tan, there are about 10 guys with foliage green, and 2 with black, but beggars cant be choosers so I'm sure they'd be happy with any color available).
    Jean & I went to Extreme Outfitters this afternoon and they had none in stock, sowe sent an email to Blackhawk Corporate Offices in Norfolk - we'll see what happens.... we're trying to get 13 of them, if we're successful you'll have them soon....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast