• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Afghanistan

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Greetings from afghanistan

I've been here for almost two weeks and so far so good. I hope everyone back home is doing well. I've been outside the wire twice so far to meet with the locals, they are very interesting people. Open carry here is quite common, as is negligent discharges (i am told). We were told to avoid folks carrying rifles not for the fact that they may be taliban or what not, but because they may accidentally shoot you because their weapons handling is so poor. I am happy to report however that I have not been hassled for my long gun and pistol open carry by the local po po, quite the opposite, they like to take pictures with you :p. Many of them have even blinged out their AK with some sort of green and red reflective tape over the furniture. Well thats all I have for now, enjoy the photos. Oh, almost forgot, I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?

armored.jpg

popo2.jpg

My interpreter (in the hat)

Samad2.jpg

popo.jpg

GovsCompound.jpg

Humvees.jpg

hsmith

imported post

Good to see you are safe. Good friend of mine just got back from 10 months of being stationed over there.

How do you like the EOTech? I am building an AR and that is an optics option along with the ACOG.

Bubba Ron

imported post

Hi Brian - sounds like you're adjusting well!! I went over to your old compound last week and saw your name on the poster as you walk in. The pictures you postedare great - keep them coming. Take care buddy and keep your head down...

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hsmith wrote:
Good to see you are safe. Good friend of mine just got back from 10 months of being stationed over there.

How do you like the EOTech? I am building an AR and that is an optics option along with the ACOG.
I love it, they issued us an Aimpoint, which while about double the price, is nowhere near as good as the EoTech, in my opinion. The field of view of the eotech is much better than the aimpoint, and I much prefer the reticle. I briefly thought about getting an ACOG, but I dont really see the need for a 3x power optic. Most likely any firefight we get into will be less than 300m, past that the 5.56 round isn't very effective anyway. We got Ma Duece for that.:D

Marco

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?
I believe his court date is 3/25, that is what he stated in his last post regarding his required appearance.

danbus wrote:
My court is continued again until 3/25/08.

Gotta love the system.

I'll check on the price of the Eotech 557 for you (have a friend that was/is a distributor).
Donations will be required.

mercutio545

imported post

hsmith wrote:

I love mine. I had buyers remorse at first because it was so damn expensive, but when I took it out to the range on the bushy M4, that remorse quickly went away. Easy and fast zeroing, really bright when you want it to be, and an insane battery life.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Rev,
Thank you for your service. We're all there with you in spirit. Here's hoping you don't need to use your 5.56 for anything. I'd much prefer you engage the Taliban at distance with the .50 !

Keep your spirits up. At least they didn't deploy you to some completely out-of-control place like Washington DC !

Dutch

LEO 229

imported post

Thank you for your service and do be safe over there.

Be sure to get a ton of rifle OC over there because that kind of thing does not go over well back here in Virginia! ;)

Bulldog1967

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Reverend73 wrote:
I read in the paper (online) that Danbus was found guilty in Suffolk. Is that actually the case or did the reporter mess up her facts?
I believe his court date is 3/25, that is what he stated in his last post regarding his required appearance.

danbus wrote:
My court is continued again until 3/25/08.

Gotta love the system.

I'll check on the price of the Eotech 557 for you (have a friend that was/is a distributor).
Donations will be required.
I'm in for an upgraded optic for our captian in the sandbox!

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
I can't help but laugh at the second picture. It looks like Fidel as already found a new job, and getting out of public service seems to have taken years off him.
Haha I immediately thought the same thing with the second picture :dude::lol:

Secondly, thank you for your service, and stay safe! :)

Marco

imported post

I'll post went I get a reply back about price.

If my friend is no longer a dealer/distributor, we will have to purchase one retail(>$500+ shipping to BFA):X.

Here is the specs on the Eotech 557 for those that aren't familiar.

The new 557.AR223 has been developed to optimize the functionality of the HWS. The buttons have been moved from the back to the left side for instant access, allowing a magnifier, night vision, or a back up iron sight to fight closely to the HWS body. This new button position allows the user to operate the HWS function switches easier than ever before. Additionally, a portion of the front base has been raised to allow the sight to fit over standard hand guards found on many M-4 or M-16 style weapons.

The 557.AR223 is configured with a new ballistic matching reticle image for the M4 carbine. The battle tested circle/dot reticle will be offered along with a series of 1 MOA aiming dots that are vertically aligned and calibrated specifically for the ballistic drop of .223 caliber ammunition. This reticle provides 4 aiming dots for target distances of 0-300m, 400m, 500m, and 600m

Rev or would you perfer a different model?
EOTech HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight Model Differences:

Model
510 (511 - M511/512 - M512)

510 AA (511 - M511/512 - M512)

510 (511 - M511/512 - M512) Less Lethal

550 (551 - M551/552 - M552)

550AA (551 - M551/552 - M552) SU-231/PEQ M553

557 / M557

Night Vision Compatible:

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Waterproof & Submersible:

To 10 ft depth

To 10 ft depth

To 10 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

To 66 ft depth

To 33 ft depth

Battery:

N Alkaline

AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

N Alkaline

N Alkaline

AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

2 x 123 lithium batteries

2 x AA lithium, alkaline, or rechargeable

Battery Life (setting 12):

200 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

200 hours battery life

200 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

1100 hours battery life

1000 hours battery life

Length of sight:

4 inches (102 mm)

5 inches (131 mm)

4 inches (102 mm)

4 inches (102 mm)

5 inches (131 mm)

4.9 inches (124 mm)

5.7 inches (133 mm)

Reticle Options:

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot or single 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA dot

65MOA circle with quadrant ticks with 1 MOA aiming dot

AR223 Reticle

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Guys,

Thank you so much for the offer, but I really do not need a new EoTech as my current 552 is working great (see pic below:p). I really do feel very humbled by the offers. If you guys really want to help, there are 39 or so navy personel (mostly junior enlisted) and 38 or so Army security force personelthat are in our team (Provincial Reconstruction Team Sharana) that I'm sure would devour any care package you wish to send. If you wish to do so send it to me and I will distribute

Brian Sneed (don't put rank)

PRT Sharana

FOB Sharana

APO, AE 09311

We had a USO tour drop by today, with Kelly Hu, Maria Menounos, and some guy from the Sopranos.

mclovin.jpg

MarkNH

State Researcher
imported post

On another forum I am part of a group supporting some guys stationed out in Kunar province and the generosity of people offering to send packages and donating money for gear is amazing, I estimate that so far we have sent well over $5k of gear over to them (flashlights for everyone in the company, rugged PDAs with ballistic software for the snipers, IR torches, boresnakes, and lots of treats for the dogs they adopted :D).

Thank you for your service and stay safe over there.

P.S. How about this for open carry :what::celebrate:celebrate

Platoon11Nickw-Barrett.jpg

(the guy pictured recently killed a Taliban 1.3 miles away with that Barrett)