• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Onslow County - Sheriff Pennington

marinepilot81

imported post

I had to hit up the gas station on my way back from errands to grab something to drink and noticed a deputy in the store with me. I politely asked him if he had a few moments to answer questions.

Highlights -

1. Why the heck would you want to open carry? Just conceal it since you have a permit.

2. When I'm with my family, and off duty, I don't even carry a firearm. They're nothing but trouble.

3. Yeah, I'm not trying to take anything away from you, it's just better for everyone if you don't.

4. Police officers don't wear shoulder holsters any more because they're dangerous and cause accidental discharges when the weapon falls out.

AND THE BEST LINES:

"Sir, so If I were standing here tonight, like we are now, open carrying, what would you have done?"

---"If you were standing here in a 'stop and rob' with a pistol out like that, I'd talk to you and probably arrest you."

"Terror of the public hinges around the 'intent' of the person with a firearm. Is it Onslow County's policy that open carry = intent to commit crime?"

---"Absolutely."

Deputy Pennington is way out of line here. The trouble is that no one in this county cares about it! The Sheriff, Ed Brown, is a corrupt swine. After sitting in his office, there is no reasoning with that man or changing his mind.

Any ideas?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I vaguely recall another on this forum getting a letter from an attorney laying out the facts of the situation, upon delivery of which, the government agency suddenly straightened up. It had something to do with the CCW permit process, though.

Worth a try. Although, it can cost some money. The lawyer is going to charge for his time researching the statutes and court opinions.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mike wrote:
Don;t ask LEOs for legal advice or opinions - just OC and mind your own business.
+1

Do you randomly ask cops if it's legal to pee, where you can do it, and what they would do if they saw you? You're just asking for trouble when you do stuff like that. You keep talking about having problems in Onslow County....maybe it's stuff like this that's doing it. Just this past weekend I passed a pair of LEO's in Wal-Mart carrying. We made eye contact and they glanced down at my hip. They didn't even bat an eyelash, and I went on with my business. I dunno what to tell ya.

marinepilot81

imported post

I'm just probing the lines and sizing up the risk vs right. Nothing is easy when my command is sitting on the other end.

And yes, if the cops policy was that urinating was dangerous to the public and NC's law said I could pee in a public restroom, but the local sheriff told me doing so would show malicious intent, I might ask before I did it.

jeepinbanditrider

imported post

Eh my command doesn't seem to care. Most at work know I OC some know I have a CC permit and CC sometimes. The command knows of none of my handguns becuase I'll buy them when I go home on leave so I don't have to go though the stupid pistol permit process.:banghead:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

marinepilot81 wrote:
Strength in numbers, my friend. I'm still waiting on my holster, but I think a group lunch is in order sometime soon. Any takers?
We did one recently and it was fun, but only a few people showed up. I hoping we can do another one soon. I haven't gotten around to it yet since I'm looking for another job at the moment :D.

judgedby12notcarriedby6

imported post

marinepilot81 wrote:
I had to hit up the gas station on my way back from errands to grab something to drink and noticed a deputy in the store with me. I politely asked him if he had a few moments to answer questions.

Highlights -

1. Why the heck would you want to open carry? Just conceal it since you have a permit.

2. When I'm with my family, and off duty, I don't even carry a firearm. They're nothing but trouble.

3. Yeah, I'm not trying to take anything away from you, it's just better for everyone if you don't.

4. Police officers don't wear shoulder holsters any more because they're dangerous and cause accidental discharges when the weapon falls out.

AND THE BEST LINES:

"Sir, so If I were standing here tonight, like we are now, open carrying, what would you have done?"

---"If you were standing here in a 'stop and rob' with a pistol out like that, I'd talk to you and probably arrest you."

"Terror of the public hinges around the 'intent' of the person with a firearm. Is it Onslow County's policy that open carry = intent to commit crime?"

---"Absolutely."

Deputy Pennington is way out of line here. The trouble is that no one in this county cares about it! The Sheriff, Ed Brown, is a corrupt swine. After sitting in his office, there is no reasoning with that man or changing his mind.

Any ideas?
LOL you are talking about the good Sheriff Brown, the very same man who says that ordinary citizens are not responsible enough to carry a gun, but yet left his service pistol in a public restroom twice in the same week

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

judgedby12notcarriedby6 wrote:
ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
WOW..Twice in one week! Can't wipe with his gun around his ankles, huh? :celebrate
the second time a kid turned the gun into the bojangles manager
Hmmm...so he left a loaded firearm where a minor could gain access to it? Isn't that a crime?

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
WOW..Twice in one week! Can't wipe with his gun around his ankles, huh? :celebrate
well now you've gone and done it. I've got an appetite for bojangles now. crap I wish they were in texas. :cuss:

judgedby12notcarriedby6

imported post

DreQo wrote:
ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
Hmmm...so he left a loaded firearm where a minor could gain access to it? Isn't that a crime?
apparently, if you are the sheriff it isnt a crime, you and I on the other hand