• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY Lt. Governor proponent of "shoot to wound"

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

One of the things that has caught my attention in this hubub about Spitzer is the fact that his Lt. Governor, David Paterson, the man who would be governor if Spitzer resigns or is convicted in impeachment, has a pretty scary stance on self defense.

He beleives that police faced with deadly force should only be allowed to shoot to wound; otherwise they could face charges of second degree manslaughter (or attempted manslaughter if the perp lives).

If he thinks the police don't have the right to protect themselves against criminals, I shudder to think what he thinks of the rights of civilian crime victims.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03122008/news/regionalnews/patersons_06_misfire_101554.htm

VAopencarry

imported post

How can anybody in their right mind deny the police or anyone else, the right to defend themselves. I know they like to do it to us regular folk, but the cops too. What a fukin assclown. Shoot to wound, this guy watches WAY too much t.v.

Carolina40

imported post

we left NY for NC almost 4 years ago and haven't looked back -- that state is a complete mess....

unless the law has changed, in order to hold a pistol / revolver in your hand at a gun shop - you needed a permit from the county police department.........

Legba

imported post

Looks like Paterson is in now. Spitzer just resigned. Eek.

-ljp

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
unless the law has changed, in order to hold a pistol / revolver in your hand at a gun shop - you needed a permit from the county police department.........
That is still true AFAIK from friends I have there. I worked in Western NY for a few years, it was shocking.

TheEggman

imported post

Considering that the police have about a 3% 'Hit Rate' in firefights shoot to 'anything' is just silly.

Not denigrating the police, when the adreniline is pumping and/or you are under fire just putting rounds downrange is an accomplishment, and hitting the target is a good accomplishment.

Why doesn't he just require that they shoot the weapon from the perps hand?

That's why they teach Center of Body Mass - that's the biggest target the perp presents.

Nobody other than a few expert marksmen can consistently 'shoot to kill' - you 'shoot to stop.'

If the BG ends up stopped AND dead, too bad for him, but at least he won't be around to testify when his family sues.

Egg

LEO 229

imported post

:shock:

March 12, 2008 -- ALBANY - The man who will be governor, David Paterson, once sponsored highly controversial legislation in the state Senate requiring police to shoot to harm, not kill.

Does he know how hard it is to actually hit the person ANYWHERE during a crisis situation??!!! Some cops cannot even hit the bad guy as it is! :p

And if the cop will be charged with a crime for killing someone.. the additional stress that places on the cop?? Oh Man!!!!

Cops have a tough time now having to decide in a split second to draw or not during a excited event. But to have to decide to draw and then decide where to shoot the person that will cause him to be wounded.. That is going to be tough.

What if he is behind cover shootingand all you see is his head? Are you expected to shoot him in the ear?? :lol:

Better be a good shot!!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I wouldn't get too worked up over this "shoot to wound" business.

Half an hour with a police advocate will change his thinking; all they have to do is explain it to him.

Plus, he's not going to change the courts and the common law on self-defense all that fast.

That's not to say he may not have numerous other objectionable anti-2A views. I just wouldn't worry about this one.

PavePusher

imported post

Sitrep wrote:
If the policy becomes "shoot to wound," can you then be much more liberal about applying such force, since it isn't meant to be deadly?
"Gosh, Yer Onnerer, I was aiming at his knee-cap, but he put his head/heart/femoral artery/spinal columnin the way as I pulled the trigger... Honest!!"

LEO 229

imported post

Pointman wrote:
If you take a self-defence course (highly recommended) you'll quickly find out the law states you can only shoot to defend, which means shoot to wound. Anything more is murder.
I would agree that it would not hurt to take a class and learn where the boundaries are when it comes to taking a life.

Not sure how each state words what is allowed or required. It is rather hard to shoot to wound.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP It is rather hard to shoot to wound.

Oh, I don't know, LEO 229.

You'vre raised it (or lowered it, depending) to an art. Most of your posts directed at me are intended to wound.

Now if you would just improve your aim. ;)

Maybe if you tried shooting with both eyes open? :)

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP It is rather hard to shoot to wound.

Oh, I don't know, LEO 229.

You'vre raised it (or lowered it, depending) to an art. Most of your posts directed at me are intended to wound.

Now if you would just improve your aim. ;)

Maybe if you tried shooting with both eyes open? :)
I flinch every time I pull the trigger! Normally, my head turns back... and to the left. :D