• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Student Suspended For Buying Candy In School. New Haven, Conn. WCBStv.com

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/Connecticut.skittles.suspension.2.675314.html

EW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) ― Contraband candy has led to big trouble for an eighth-grade honors student.

Michael Sheridan was stripped of his title as class vice president, barred from attending an honors student dinner and suspended for a day after buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate.

The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a district-wide school wellness policy, said school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo.

Shelli Sheridan, Michael's mother, said he is a top student with no previous disciplinary problems.

"It's too much. It's too unfair," she said. "He's never even had a detention."

Michael's suspension has been reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.

He said he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules, but he did notice that the student selling the Skittles on Feb. 26 was being secretive.

An administrator busted Michael with the candy in his pocket. His mother says the student who sold him the Skittles out of a lunch box was also suspended.

Sullivan-DeCarlo said Sheridan Middle School principal Eleanor Turner repeatedly warned students that she did not want candy to be sold or money to change hands during school. Turner referred all questions to Sullivan-DeCarlo.

Aside from the nutrition issue, Sullivan-DeCarlo said, students create security problems when they carry money.

A copy of the district's policy states that "no candy or junk food fundraisers will be allowed on school grounds" and that only healthy snacks will be sold in vending machines.

The policy also prohibits bake sales and other food sales during school hours. The policy does not say anything about students sharing snacks when no money is exchanged.

Legba

imported post

So it's illegal (against the rules anyway) to sell something that it's legal to give away... Makes about as much sense as the prostitution laws.

If students carrying money create "security problems," then this place has far worse problems than junk food.

In my old junior-high school, two students got suspended for one giving the other a Tylenol tablet. They never thought it was contraband dope, but they suspendedthem anyway. A tad excessive.

-ljp

VAopencarry

imported post

WTF! How about a verbal warning first. Or better yet, how about letting the parents decide what their kid eats. Damn Nanny Staters.

DrewGunner

imported post

What the F is going on?? This is America, the freest county in the world and an 8th grader was suspended for selling a bag of candy to another student??? This is the most ridiculousthing I've ever heard.

drkarrow

imported post

My children attend a school where the teachers open carry. (now the thread is even open carry related)

They are home-schooled. Stories like this just confirm my choices.