• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ear Protection

Xeni

imported post

My wife's been bugging me about my lack of hearing and I know that shooting at the range with range ears isn't offering me the best in terms of protection. In hopes of cutting her off -- before she cuts me off from my range time :cool:I'd like to purchase some electronic ears. My hope is to be able to hear and be able to respond to conversations I have on the lanes when I'm teaching a new shooter, hanging out with a buddy or giving some advice.

Does anyone have any positive experience with a set of electronic ears and can provide some insight or advice on to a brand to look at?

Thanks!

-Xeni

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Have you considered Surefire's EarPro Sonic Defenders? They accomplish the task of allowing normal sounds to pass, but protecting you from louder sounds, like gunfire. They use a simple mechanical sound filter...nothing electronic. I was in the market for electronic ears for the same reason, but the price held me back. Sonic Defender's are $10 a pair, so if you don't like them it's not the end of the world. I chose them over electronic ears because of price, weight, and the fact that my sunglasses got in the way of the ear muffs.
http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24306/sesent/00/EP3-Sonic-Defendersandtrade

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use Peltor tactical electronic ear muffs. I love them. Only down side occurs when it is really hot outside. When it is cold, I leave them on in between mags even if there is not other shooting going on because they keep my ears warm.

Xeni

imported post

Thanks all for the advice. I might pick up both for variety and because the costs we're a lot less than I had originally budgetted for.

Thank you,

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I got a pair of Howard Leight Impact earmuffs that I have been very satisfied with.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Personally, I've beenusing Peltor's 6S electronic muffs with a pair of their combat earplugs underneither. I couldn't imagine shooting a firearm (at the range, in training, other than a self-defence situation) without ear-pro

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Mine came from these people (pricey but nice):

http://www.pro-ears.com/law_militaryhearingprotection.htm

This brand doesn't cut-out the sound completely -- as most others do and which I don't care for -- but attenuates it to a lower level.

But besides using them in the field (I don't go to gun ranges, just out in the desert to shoot), they are my choice for use at home at night (or even daytime) if I think someone has gotten into the house...the stereo headphones with the increased hearing ability (especially if you turn the gain up all the way) allows me to hear the intruder's movements better than normal hearing would but also -- should I have to shoot -- the muffs protects my ears (not his) from firing a gun indoors.

I highly recommend the electronic earmuffs whatever brand you get.

-- John D.

P.S. I have some hearing damage from my "war days." Once it's gone, it's gone, so I sure don't want to make it worse. ALWAYS use hearing protection, even if shooting a "quiet" .22LR.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

FightingGlock19 wrote:
Personally, I've beenusing Peltor's 6S electronic muffs with a pair of their combat earplugs underneither. I couldn't imagine shooting a firearm (at the range, in training, other than a self-defence situation) without ear-pro
Except for replacing the batteries they are great. I don't use earplugs underneath, but then all the ranges here are outdoor. I think I would probably use my ear plugs with them if I was at an indoor range.

Like most electronic earmuffs, you can actually hear better with them on and turned up most of the way than with your natural hearing (at least every one I know can but then we have all been shooters, gear heads and/or pilots none of which are conducive to exceptional hearing over 35).

Tomahawk

imported post

A long time ago when I was in the Corps I ordered a pair of hearing protectors for use on the flightline around jet engines. I still have them, as they have padded cushions and are comfortable.

Also, they still work fine when you're wearing glasses, which is an important feature.

I have no idea what brand they are, since the only marking is a NSN number, but I have seen the same design sold on shelves under various manufacturers. I would like to get a set of electronic ears one of these days.