Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 in the chamber

Post imported post

Hello all. New to the board, CC for last 6 years. I recently traded my Ruger sp101 in on a Walther PPK (always wanted one) for easier concealment. Since I am going from a revolver to a semi-automatic pistol, I have an interesting quandary. The question is to chamber or not to chamber the first round. I am looking for the general opinion of what others are doing. Thanks for your input.

***EDIT***

Just for an update, the Walther sucked....badly. (Faulty Mag. catch, multiple jams)I took it back and exchanged it for a Bersa Thunder. I love the Bersa!!! Very balanced and accurate. Fired severalhundred rounds with no miss-feeds or jams.It is larger than the Walther, but is lighter. I carry it chambered with the safety on. Have been OC'ing at home and in the neighborhood and to a couple gas stations. Slowly warming up to OC.

Post imported post

Yes

Post imported post

Of course....You had one in the chamber and a double action pull on the revolver, and now you have a double action pull on the semi. whats the difference? Neither have safties.

Post imported post

If you leave it unchambered, you can always throw the gun.

Post imported post

six is better than five

Post imported post

I always prefer condition 1 myself ... always one in the pipe ...
    there might come a time when you don't have time to chamber that first round ...
    There might be a time when you are unable to chamber that round ...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum65/7151.html

Check out the link for another thread that covered this topic

And welcome to the board !!! :celebrate

~~Springfield

Post imported post

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Someone made a good point about if a BG got the first shot. How are you going to chamber the firstround if you got shot in your weak hand/wrist? I will be carrying chambered with the safety on. I am going to the range this wekend and should feel more comfortable with my PPK after that. BTW whats up with the dancing banana emoticon :celebrate

Springfield45 wrote:
    there might come a time when you don't have time to chamber that first round ...

~~Springfield

Post imported post

:celebrateThat's the Dude!

Post imported post

about the 1 in the chamber thing...

so i used to be like "oh well i do not want to keep one chambered because i have no safety.." (glock27) also, i have known someone who shot himself with his g27 because of the no safety thing.... (ha ha).. but that kind of freaked me out, so I was like well i will just keep it unchambered for now. then i started thinking about it, and last night there was a coyote attack in my neighborhood. My mom was freaking out and she's like "oh no what if it got the neighbors dog lets go get my car and see!!!" so as we were driving over there, i was thinking to myself... what if a coyote was attacking my dog? i would run out there with my weapon holstered, have to pull it out, put one in the chamber, then shoot the coyote?? that is precious seconds i could not get back, and what is the use of the weapon if you can't shoot it right away?? so i believe i am going to keep one in the chamber at all times, why not right? the chances of me accidentally firing my weapon arent very high, but if i didnt have one in the chamber, the chances of me being unable to protect myself and others would be pretty high...

:celebrateyay for the jumping banana!!

Post imported post

keeping one in the pipe allows me 13+1 in my G27 - pray that I never need that many, but nice to know they are there...

Post imported post

13+1..... do you have the extender with the extra rounds??

Post imported post

I carry condition 1 on my Ruger P95, decocked and manual safety on. The reason I never carry Condition 2 is because I never carry my gun with the safety off. If I were to carry con 2, safety on, when I chambered the first round, the decocker would automatically lower the hammer, putting my weapon in the exact state of readiness that it would be in carrying condition 1, so all I really did was waste my time. :?

I, like many others, dont feel like staking my life, or anothers, on precious few seconds it takes to rack and fire that first round from condition 2.

-Rains

EDIT: Im packing 15+1 in my P95, for the record

Post imported post

yes - A&G grip extenders

Post imported post

hmmm. i think i am going to have to geta fewof those... i have a grip extender, but that is all it is. how much are the ones you got??

Post imported post

sorry, let me clarify -- first you need the G23 mags --- they are 13+1.

the A&G grip extenders slide over the G23 mags and are simply tightened with an allan wrench. (google them - should be less than $20.00)

the G27 is about 1/2 an inch shorter in length than the G23 --- may not make a big difference to some, but does to me.

good luck

Post imported post

ohhh i looked on google, they look nice, i think i am going to get me some does it really help your grip though? because i keep thinking that it would feel awkward, or not as sturdy...?

Post imported post

they're great -- the G27 out of the box has no lower palm support.

the pearce extenders don't either, but those offer pinky support...

Post imported post

Carolina40 wrote:
    they're great -- the G27 out of the box has no lower palm support.

the pearce extenders don't either, but those offer pinky support...

i am kind of lucky because I have a small hand, my entire hand fits on the G27, but its just not as great a grip as my G17.. and I do have one of the pierce extenders, which makes it fit great for me. but... if i could do something to get a couple extra rounds... then i might as well! :celebrate

Post imported post

stanicus wrote:
    Thanks for the link to the other thread. Someone made a good point about if a BG got the first shot. How are you going to chamber the firstround if you got shot in your weak hand/wrist? I will be carrying chambered with the safety on. I am going to the range this wekend and should feel more comfortable with my PPK after that. BTW whats up with the dancing banana emoticon

S
    :celebrate
    pringfield45 wrote:

~~Springfield
    I favor condition 1 as well, but here is how you deal with the issue if you have lost the ability to fight with your strong side arm due to a gun shot or other injury. Switch the weapon to the support hand, hook the front sight on your belt, and rack the slide. This of course clears type 1 and 2 malfunctions as well. There is a technigue for clearing type three malfunctions one handed, but it takes lots of time, so pray you never have to do it. Some courses teach these technigues and one handed mag changes as well.

Post imported post

ianto94 wrote:
    stanicus wrote:
    Thanks for the link to the other thread. Someone made a good point about if a BG got the first shot. How are you going to chamber the firstround if you got shot in your weak hand/wrist? I will be carrying chambered with the safety on. I am going to the range this wekend and should feel more comfortable with my PPK after that. BTW whats up with the dancing banana emoticon

S
    :celebrate
    pringfield45 wrote:

~~Springfield
    I favor condition 1 as well, but here is how you deal with the issue if you have lost the ability to fight with your strong side arm due to a gun shot or other injury. Switch the weapon to the support hand, hook the front sight on your belt, and rack the slide. This of course clears type 1 and 2 malfunctions as well. There is a technigue for clearing type three malfunctions one handed, but it takes lots of time, so pray you never have to do it. Some courses teach these technigues and one handed mag changes as well.

that is a good idea.... but sometimes i dont have a belt, so even if you can use your legs to rack the slide...

Post imported post

Carry with round chambered.

Post imported post

Skippy wrote:
    If you leave it unchambered, you can always throw the gun.
    Or, if you have enough time, you could actually chamber a round and shoot.:celebrate

Post imported post

one in the chamber, no safety. No, I'm not a nutjob; it's a SIG load it, decock it, double action first shot with 17+1 capacity+

Post imported post

Condition One. Cocked and Locked 1911.

Always one in the pipe. That's what it's made for...

Post imported post

My carry gun right now is a walther ppk/s. When I carried I had one in the chamber. Make sure the trigger guard is covered by your holster. You could leave the safety on if you're worried, but make sure you practice hitting it when you draw. Unfortunately, it's the opposite direction of the 1911 so if you have the urge to get one of those in the future, consider that your training will be a problem and leaving the safety off (double action first trigger pull) might be best at this time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast